Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

96 civic ex d16y7 auto with p1509, p0700, and p1768

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2011
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
robmcleod2250 is an unknown quantity at this point
96 civic ex d16y7 auto with p1509, p0700, and p1768

Well, I'm new to this forum because I have a problem that is stumping me. Isn't that the same reason everyone signs up? ha. The above noted car has been acting up and I can't figure it out to save my life. The car had a crank but no start condition for my gf. There was an engine code, p1509 (I have a scanner) IAC valve circuit failure. I tried the cleaning tip and the car started and ran fine. We drove about 20 min down the road and the car stalled with the D4 light flashing with the engine light on again. We ended up sitting there for about 10 min and it started after trying a few times. The car started right up, indicating there is an electrical issue because it either starts or it doesn't start, there is no 'wanting' to start. We began driving home and the car stalled 3 times in the 20 min drive, the last time being as we pulled into the driveway. I got a used IAC valve, replaced it, and the car seemed to run fine. My gf drove the car about 40 min down the road and it stalled again, same flashing D4 light issue. Now, the car sits in the garage with a lit match suspended dangerously close. I have extracted the codes P1509, P0700, and P1768. I have Googled my brains out and been through my Haynes manual. I have battery voltage at the IACV in the middle wire (it's a 3 wire) and the resistence through the IACV motor is within spec (I recall it was about 23 ohms) from the middle contact through each of the two side contacts. After the car sits, it will start. I can go start it right now, but I can't trust it to drive for any more than 45 mins or so. Today when I messed with it I heard a clicking sound, like a solenoid, on the transaxle. I couldn't pin point where it was coming from, putting my hands on different plugs/solenoids to check if I could feel a clicking but I could not figure it out. Any suggestions would be appreciated...I am getting prepared to take it to the shop...ouch!

Thank you.
Old 01-30-2012
Registered!!

robmcleod2250 is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: 96 civic ex d16y7 auto with p1509, p0700, and p1768

Well, it's been over 2 months since my problem started. I sure didn't get any help here but I wanted to share my resolve just in case it might help someone else out there. I made some progress when once time the car stalled and I could hear a humming in the transmission, like a solenoid stuck. I tracked it down to a solenoid on the bottom front. When I unplugged it, the humming went away, but the car still wouldn't start. I plugged it back and started wiggling the wiring harness trying to make it change. I grabbed a section of harness under the intake and the humming went away. The car would start. After it stalled again I went right back to the section of harness, wiggled it, and the car stalled, creating the humming again. Playing with the harness section it went away and stopped. The section of harness was very short and went in to a junction connector. The wires all appeared to be snug in the connector but when I removed the male end of the junction connector I noticed there was some green corrosion build up on a couple of the male connectors. I brushed them up to clean them, hit them with some WD40, put it back together, and the car seems to be fixed. I had it running for about an hour tonight, which is about 57 min longer than it would ever run in the last couple months. Good luck!
Old 06-20-2013
Registered!!

billdoodle is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: 96 civic ex d16y7 auto with p1509, p0700, and p1768

Sorry no one replied to your thread, that is usually my luck,LOL Glad to hear you have it fixed as I am having similar problems now and your write up is certainly appreciated.