Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

"96 Civic Power Windows Problem- Help!

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2011
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
DFletch22 is an unknown quantity at this point
"96 Civic Power Windows Problem- Help!

I hope someone can help me. I own a 1996 Honda Civic 4 door. None of the power windows work. I replaced the window controls on the drivers side but it did not correct the problem. All the fuses are good, I have four 12-volt power sources going to the controls, one for each window. I bought a motor for the drivers side window at a local junk yard, they checked it with a 12-volt source and it worked fine, but when i installed it, it did not work. So I went back to the junk yard and they let me try a used power windows control because I thought the new one might be bad. But again nothing worked . I am really frustrated and I am beginning to think the car is possessed. Thanks for taking the time to read this, if you have any suggestions or ideas on what's wrong, please help.
Old 05-14-2011
Registered!!

gerryz is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: "96 Civic Power Windows Problem- Help!

I have a similar problem and am stuck. My windows stopped working, one by one, over the last 5 years. Now we are down to only the driver's window and it will occasionally not roll up for an hour or so. This sounded like a motor problem to me, so I picked up the two front motors at the wrecker's. Last night tried to install the pass side, but when I tested it before installing I got nothing. Through some testing I was able to determine that I am getting the correct voltage at the connection between the motor and the plug. I find it hard to believe that I have two dud motors here. Is there something else I can check after verifying that the power is getting there?
Old 03-12-2012
Registered!!

dylancarr is an unknown quantity at this point

Did anyone ever figure this out? I am having the same issue. Thanks.
Old 03-12-2012
Naturally Aspirated

513EM1 is an unknown quantity at this point

My window stopped working randomly one day this past winter when it was 20º. Replaced the window regulator, works like a charm.
Old 03-12-2012
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
dazelite is an unknown quantity at this point

I had a 96 civic and all 4 windows stopped working. Spent about $800.00 replacing the motors and all of the wiring. They worked for 6 months, and then all quit agin. I stopped trying at that point. I wish you good luck.
The following users liked this post:
Robert Bowring (08-28-2020)
Old 04-15-2012
Registered!!

gordon555 is an unknown quantity at this point

When you checked for voltage at the motor did you ground it to the body of the car or on the ground wire in the circuit? It sounds like you might have a bad ground wire somewhere in the circuit. Maybe you can check the haynes manual or someone can post a wiring diagram.

Good luck!
Old 05-24-2012
Member - 96 Civic Ex

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sobefreedom is an unknown quantity at this point

Spent my saturday thrying to figure out why both my windows stopped working (96 civic ex coupe). using the hanyes manual and the wiring diagram i checked all my switches for continuity and found them all to be good so i checked for voltage at the relay and the fuses and that all checked out fine. checked for voltage between the fuse and the switch, nothing. checked the wiring for continuity between the fuse harness and the master switch harness, nothing. crap!. so basically my wire is broke somewhere between the door and the fuse panel. decided to cut the wires and add a jumper wire by wirenutting it in. window works. result broken wire somewhere and i'm not looking forward to ripping the door off and trying to pull new wires i tucked the jumper wiring up nicely and its staying that way until i have more time lol. i know ghetto.
The following users liked this post:
Robert Bowring (08-28-2020)
Old 05-24-2012
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

I have been finding wires broken inside the jamb harness, broken off right at the door connector terminals. IIRC, most of these are part of the floor harness and not cheap.

HTH