Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Cranks all day, but won't start.....HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2011
<('-'<)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dillano609 is an unknown quantity at this point
Exclamation Cranks all day, but won't start.....HELP!

Hello all, I'm new here and hope someone more familiar with this car would be able to help me. My car is a 1997 Civic EX Coupe. The car is getting spark, fuel, and compression, it cranks all day, but doesn't start. At this point I can say what is NOT the problem.

The fuel pump works which indicates the main relay is fine and have verified the injectors are getting fuel at the correct pressure. Car has been getting spark, but sanded down the terminals in the distributer to make sure. I took off the splash shield and rotated the crankshaft, I think the timing belt is fine, and heard hissing so I know I'm getting compression. I sprayed some starter fluid in the intake and still doesn't start. I scanned the car with an obd-2 scanner and not a single code came up.

The car has 247,XXX miles and all I know about the history was that the spark plug wires were recently replaced and that the car stopped running while being driven.

What am I missing, what could be wrong? If an electrical issue, would rusty grounds cause this?

Please help if you can because I'm stumped and need to get this back on the road.
Old 02-23-2011
Car Enthusiasts

Raid3n is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Cranks all day, but won't start.....HELP!

Could be your starter?
Old 02-23-2011
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Newfiedan is a jewel in the roughNewfiedan is a jewel in the roughNewfiedan is a jewel in the rough

Raid3n he already said that the starter works fine, the car just won't start, it sounds like 1 of 2 problems bud either the timing is way off or the fuel injectors are not firing and putting fuel into the cylinder, check all the engine bay fuses verify that they are all good and by good I mean take them out and check them over. The other thing is the crank sensor make sure that its plugged in, that is what tells the computer when to fire the injectors. All the engine grounds should be clean and make good contact with the chassis, you can easily eliminate that as a problem by putting a jumper cable from the neg terminal to the engine. How good is the spark? Is it a strong blue spark at the end of the plug while cranking?

Last edited by Newfiedan; 02-23-2011 at 08:26 PM.
Old 02-23-2011
<('-'<)

*Duplicate Post* My bad...

Last edited by Dillano609; 02-23-2011 at 09:32 PM. Reason: Duplicate post
Old 02-23-2011
<('-'<)

Originally Posted by Newfiedan
Raid3n he already said that the starter works fine, the car just won't start, it sounds like 1 of 2 problems bud either the timing is way off or the fuel injectors are not firing and putting fuel into the cylinder, check all the engine bay fuses verify that they are all good and by good I mean take them out and check them over. The other thing is the crank sensor make sure that its plugged in, that is what tells the computer when to fire the injectors. All the engine grounds should be clean and make good contact with the chassis, you can easily eliminate that as a problem by putting a jumper cable from the neg terminal to the engine. How good is the spark? Is it a strong blue spark at the end of the plug while cranking?
Yep, it's a strong blue spark. I'll try the ground idea and see if it helps. I'll check the fuses too, but does that include the ones under the left side dash? Also, how would I go about checking those relays under the engine fusebox or is that excessive?

I'll look into the timing, but I don't quite have the bottom part accessible, I also don't know what the timing marks are set at for the top of the belt. I'll have to delve into the fuel injectors, but I think the starter fluid would have indicated that the fuel injectors are bad, idk though.
Old 02-23-2011
Registered!!

Newfiedan is a jewel in the roughNewfiedan is a jewel in the roughNewfiedan is a jewel in the rough

I would be looking at the fuses first mainly the fuel injector fuse and what not in the engine bay. I do agree that using the starter fluid should have got it to at least come close to starting, which is why I believe the timing belt may have slipped a few teeth. If it has then there will be check engine light with the problems you described. Its easy enough to check the fuel injectors to see if they are firing just remove the plugs and the main plug wire from the cap crank over and smell for fuel you should smell it pretty easily just keep your hands away from the coil it can give you a nasty shock lol.
Old 02-23-2011
<('-'<)

I would be looking at the fuses first mainly the fuel injector fuse and what not in the engine bay. I do agree that using the starter fluid should have got it to at least come close to starting, which is why I believe the timing belt may have slipped a few teeth. If it has then there will be check engine light with the problems you described. Its easy enough to check the fuel injectors to see if they are firing just remove the plugs and the main plug wire from the cap crank over and smell for fuel you should smell it pretty easily just keep your hands away from the coil it can give you a nasty shock lol.
K, thx, I'll look at the fuse and keep a close eye out for the one for fuel injectors. I just hope its not the timing belt because that seems like it would be a pain to do, but I don't have any check engine codes like you said so still kinda confused. Hopefully I can pinpoint the problem...
Old 02-23-2011
Whachya lookin at?

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
BlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond repute

If it died while running it's likely not the injectors. Usually there is a precursor to injectors being plugged, the car will start running rough long before the injectors get choked enough for it to die. If your timing was way out of whack, you wouldn't get compression, not good compression anyway. Seems youve covered mostly everything. Get the codes checked to see if any come up, after that I have no idea. Did the car run rough before it died or did it die suddenly?

If your worried about the timing belt tow it to a shop and get it checked out, or take the valve cover off and spin the crank pulley.
Old 02-23-2011
<('-'<)

Originally Posted by tbohar
If it died while running it's likely not the injectors. Usually there is a precursor to injectors being plugged, the car will start running rough long before the injectors get choked enough for it to die. If your timing was way out of whack, you wouldn't get compression, not good compression anyway. Seems youve covered mostly everything. Get the codes checked to see if any come up, after that I have no idea. Did the car run rough before it died or did it die suddenly?

If your worried about the timing belt tow it to a shop and get it checked out, or take the valve cover off and spin the crank pulley.
Tbh, I don't know how the car ran before, I got it like this since it stopped running leaving me to diagnose it. The only thing I do know is that when the last owner had it, they were driving it and as they were moving along the car died and stopped working. Thats all I know about the car's history.

As for compression, I heard some hissing, but not sure if it was good compression so the timing belt is still a feasible option. It might be a fuse to something, but I don't know as there are no CEL codes. When I did check the upper portion of the belt however, I noticed that the belt didn't seem all that tight, is it supposed to feel flexible like a rubberband?

I'll have to take out the plugs and see if they are fouled or not and then check fuses and grounds and see if something is amiss, then timing belt.
Old 02-24-2011
Whachya lookin at?

BlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond repute

No.. That belt is hella tight .. It has an auto tensioner on it that keeps it from moving. It may be broken on the bottom end where you can't see it. Hissing does not necesarilly mean good compression. Get a compression test done or recheck the belt and try to pull it up to see if it comes.
Old 02-24-2011
Registered!!

If the timing belt broke then more that likely you are going to have bent valves and other problems, I am pretty sure that the d16y7 d16y8 are interference engines. I hope that is not the case for you.
Old 02-24-2011
Whachya lookin at?

^ What he said... just recently happened to a member here
Old 02-28-2011
97CivicVtec

strykker118a is an unknown quantity at this point

Check your ground cables bud
Old 03-01-2011
Registered!!

read further down stryker this was already mentioned.
Old 03-02-2011
<('-'<)

Originally Posted by strykker118a
Check your ground cables bud
I finished sanding them down them today, did not do much of a difference than make all the lights a little brighter. I did notice that after my electrical overhaul of grounds, distributer, and spark plugs that every time I try starting the car it almost sounds like a single cylinder, every few seconds, fires.

Before it was just the whine of the starter so I think I'm making some progress. I'm starting to think for sure that the timing belt skipped a tooth or two because the belt hasn't snapped. Looks like it'll be going into the garage tomorrow so I can change the belt and while I'm at it do a water pump...
Old 03-07-2011
<('-'<)

Unhappy ARGH, STILL NOT WORKING! Please HELP!

Ugh... Finally got to my timing belt to find that the timing surprising NOT off, worlds worst DIY job ever, ruined the crankshaft pulley in the process. I did learn however that the car is getting intermitent spark, would replacing the distributor fix this since something on it may have gone bad like the ignition module? I got a new cap an rotor to find it's not the problem.
Old 03-08-2011
Whachya lookin at?

I'm out of ideas Check to make sure no animals ate any of the wires... it COULD be the dizzy itself... its an EXPENSIVE part to throw at a car that might not need it however.
Old 03-08-2011
<('-'<)

:')

After all the bullshit I finally got the car running. Turns out the car needed a new distributor, either the module or pickup was bad. Looks like I'll have to wait a few days to get a new crankshaft pulley, but at least it finally runs.
Old 06-13-2013
Registered!!

dh12 is an unknown quantity at this point

In my case 1994 civic DX my crank and no start was the main relay so I suggest check this with a tester. Relay was 80 dollars but that was from a garage you can get them cheaper online. Hope this helps some people.
Old 12-04-2014
Registered!!

Jsize01 is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: :')

Originally Posted by Dillano609
After all the bullshit I finally got the car running. Turns out the car needed a new distributor, either the module or pickup was bad. Looks like I'll have to wait a few days to get a new crankshaft pulley, but at least it finally runs.
Thanks for posting your results! I couldn't find anything wrong, thought I had good spark, the correct fuel pressure was present and all four cylinders were close to 180 psi . I changed out the distributor and now it runs like a dream.
Old 12-04-2014
Registered!!

06 EX Mild Mods has a spectacular aura about06 EX Mild Mods has a spectacular aura about06 EX Mild Mods has a spectacular aura about
Re: :')

Originally Posted by Jsize01
Thanks for posting your results! I couldn't find anything wrong, thought I had good spark, the correct fuel pressure was present and all four cylinders were close to 180 psi . I changed out the distributor and now it runs like a dream.
If the plug wires are old it would be good to replace them as well.
Old 04-07-2015
Registered!!

1998CivicEx is an unknown quantity at this point

On my 98 civic my issue was a bad ground connection underneath my thermostat housing. Main relay was making a weird noise so I thought it was the relay but was just a bad ground. Also obd2* wouldn't link up either with this issue. Good luck guys
Old 05-31-2017
Registered!!

Luis El Curador is an unknown quantity at this point

If the timing belt broke then more that likely you are going to have bent valves and other problems, I am pretty sure that the d16y7 d16y8 are interference engines. I hope that is not the case for you.

What does this mean interference engines my car died while I was driving it had over heated on me I got it going with a push start but I slowed down and it died on me cranks all day but wont kick over
Old 05-31-2017
OF top 99.5% creator (Formerly of the Puffinblunts variety)

Received 109 Likes on 89 Posts
Wankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Luis El Curador
What does this mean interference engines
Interference engine definition: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Interference_engine

Originally Posted by Luis El Curador
my car died while I was driving it had over heated on me I got it going with a push start but I slowed down and it died on me cranks all day but wont kick over
Have:
1) spark
2) fuel
3) air
4) compression
Old 10-04-2018
Registered!!

roblee is an unknown quantity at this point

i have similar issue woke up to go to work and car not starting, had a weak fuel pump so got new fuel pump and relay, still not running, there is fuel going to fuel filter, even with targo switch it wont start but will with starter fluid for short while, any ideas