General Automotive Discussion General automotive discussion and chat. Honda, Toyota, Chevrolet, Ford. It doesn't matter, just talk about it here.

99 civic ex cranks but won't start

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2017
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Chach6290 is an unknown quantity at this point
99 civic ex cranks but won't start

So one night my car just wouldn't start, we can hear the fuel pump and the starter working. Sometime when it's idling it'll gradually start to shake slower and harder like it's going to die until I give it some gas then it's fine. The alternator and battery are fine it's been about a month an it still amazingly hasn't died. I thought maybe it's the ignition coil but just to be safe I replaced the whole distributor, I also replaced the wires, spark plugs and the starter. NOTHING. We also tried that starter spray to see if it would fire and nothing still so I have no idea what else it could be. Someone help me please
Old 06-29-2017
OF top 99.5% creator (Formerly of the Puffinblunts variety)

Received 109 Likes on 89 Posts
Wankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud of
Re: 99 civic ex cranks but won't start

So, what you are saying is that throwing parts at it didn't solve the problem? Try diagnosing first from now on. Hearing the fuel pump tells you that it's engaging but, says nothing about fuel pressure. Do a fuel pressure test on it and/or pull the feul injectors and spray them into a bucket while someone cranks the engine. Look for spray pattern, timing of spray and amount. One maintenence part that should be changed out about every 30k-40k miles is the fuel filter.

Clean the throttle body and IACV + gasket screen. Do a spark test on it for spark quality. My guess is your fuel pump is failing or fuel filter is partially clogged but test..don't guess.