I.C.E. (Audio) & Electrical Upgrades Post all your I.C.E. (In Car Entertainment) and wiring questions here (Audio, video etc.)

Got the new Clarion Indash VRX765VD need help

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2006
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
vietfob714 is an unknown quantity at this point
Got the new Clarion Indash VRX765VD need help

I'm looking at the diagram and for the emergency brake lead... its telling me to connect it to the ebrake (negative) and the parking brake light (positive) My question before I install it... wont that spark because of the positive and negative? I tried grounding it alone and no video shows up only audio. I'm scared to put the positive to it because something might fry. Can anyone help me? Thanks
Old 04-04-2006
Registered!!

heres the part in the manual
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	clarion.jpg
Views:	777
Size:	47.0 KB
ID:	65594  
Old 04-04-2006
Registered!!

BrynDN should not be trusted
This simply is asking you to connect the green lead to the ground side of the parking brake connection. Not both positive and negative. You'll splice into the circuit (best place is at the e-brake handle when you remove the piece around the handle from center console (there's one wire there)) using a 3M splicer, or by cutting the wire, and twisting all three together.

Do you see how the diagram is showing it now. The top and middle wire used to be a single length, but it is shown cut in the diagram.

If you touch the lead to a grounding point, then take it off, and put it back on, you'll probably get video. They're smarter than just allowing you to permanently ground the wire to bypass the system.

Last edited by BrynDN; 04-04-2006 at 11:25 PM.
Old 04-04-2006
Last time I had this much fun some furniture got broken!
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
diskreet is a splendid one to beholddiskreet is a splendid one to beholddiskreet is a splendid one to beholddiskreet is a splendid one to beholddiskreet is a splendid one to beholddiskreet is a splendid one to beholddiskreet is a splendid one to beholddiskreet is a splendid one to beholddiskreet is a splendid one to beholddiskreet is a splendid one to beholddiskreet is a splendid one to behold
that is correct how they have it. believe me, something this legally important would not get messed up in the manual by such a good company.

Basically, when the light is on, the wire is grounded and you can watch movies. when the light is off you cannot.

Theoretically one could just ground that wire anywhere, or put a switch in my kick panel in line with the wire which after the switch is grounded, to enable video any time one wanted to. But unfortunatly this is illegal.

Originally Posted by BrynDN
If you touch the lead to a grounding point, then take it off, and put it back on, you'll probably get video. They're smarter than just allowing you to permanently ground the wire to bypass the system.
Not the clarion units. Thats alpine you may be thinking of, which has a wire for both the brake pedal and the ebrake light
Old 04-04-2006
Registered!!

DJayG is an unknown quantity at this point
They want you to ground the side of the bulb that completes the circuit and illuminates the bulb. The bulb is a like a switch and when you supply the power and ground the bulb on your dash will work. So between the dash light and the e-brake switch. The directions also say try to reapply the e-brake after the wire is grounded, because you should be able to just ground that wire and have your video work. Unless you were using an alpine or some other brand that requires a grounding sequence to allow the video to work. So try just grounding that wire and cycling the e-brake. If that doesnt work dont be concerned about the bulb it will only complete the circuit. Which ever way you go watch out for the road and not the movie......Most of the time
Old 04-04-2006

diskreet is a splendid one to beholddiskreet is a splendid one to beholddiskreet is a splendid one to beholddiskreet is a splendid one to beholddiskreet is a splendid one to beholddiskreet is a splendid one to beholddiskreet is a splendid one to beholddiskreet is a splendid one to beholddiskreet is a splendid one to beholddiskreet is a splendid one to beholddiskreet is a splendid one to behold
I am guessing here, but if I were to have my DVD player playing movies and music videos I am 100% sure that I would learn to ignore it after about 2 or 3 weeks. I would usually forget its playing video and just decide only to hit the video switch when I really needed to.
Old 04-04-2006
Registered!!

Thanks guys... i'ma try to make a switch for the ground and hopefully it'll work.
Old 04-05-2006

just remember its illegal
Old 04-05-2006
Registered!!

BrynDN should not be trusted
And stupid. You won't ever want to watch a movie while driving. You'll just end up putting the deck in a new car when you total the one it's in, or in your jail cell after you kill someone on the road.

Just ground it to the ebrake like I said. If you really need to use it while driving, you can pull up the ebrake slightly until the light comes on (but before it engages). I had an AVIC-N1 in my dash and did the same thing occasionally when I had to enter a GPS destination.
Old 04-05-2006
Registered!!

worked like a charm like you guys said. Thanks a lot for all your help.
Old 04-06-2006
let the devil out

eye_see_you has a brilliant futureeye_see_you has a brilliant futureeye_see_you has a brilliant futureeye_see_you has a brilliant futureeye_see_you has a brilliant futureeye_see_you has a brilliant futureeye_see_you has a brilliant futureeye_see_you has a brilliant futureeye_see_you has a brilliant futureeye_see_you has a brilliant futureeye_see_you has a brilliant future
I have the same head unit all you need to do is supply a positive and negative lead in order for video to play once parked. The whole federal law thing you know. it detects the signal that the brake is applied by the brake light and the e-brake ground
Old 04-06-2006
Registered!!

boxcarracer is a jewel in the roughboxcarracer is a jewel in the roughboxcarracer is a jewel in the rough
who cares what anyone says i would like my in dash dvd player to work when i want it to RESPECT MY AUTHORITY STOOOPID DVD PLAYER not saying ill be watching i cant get the people in my car to watch and not nag me