I.C.E. (Audio) & Electrical Upgrades Post all your I.C.E. (In Car Entertainment) and wiring questions here (Audio, video etc.)

HUs I’m considering - Opinions Please

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2002
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
InanimateCarbonRod will become famous soon enoughInanimateCarbonRod will become famous soon enough
HUs I’m considering - Opinions Please

Clarion DXZ925
I’m not too keen on the angle of the lower faceplate (w/ huge round dial) on this one. It seems to me that the angle of the lower face (when deployed) combined with the angle that the head unit is mounted, would make using/seeing the lower controls difficult. If anyone has this HU (or something with a similar layout), please post your thoughts.

Clarion DXZ825
This is my fallback Clarion choice. Pretty basic. Not many bells and whistles, but it looks closer to OEM than the others and is not too flashy. A wolf in sheep’s clothing if you will. I would feel comfortable leaving the faceplate on during a quick jaunt into the video store. I’m not sure if this unit has a built in electronic crossover.

Clarion VRX925VD
WOW. This thing is impressive. DVD playback, 7” screen, built in espresso machine (err, maybe I’m thinking of another model), bla bla bla. It’s an excellent piece of equipment for the ultimate mobile AV entertainment system. Unfortunately, due to the high mounting location of our radios and the ability of everyone and their homies to see it as I drive down the road, it is prime candidate to get JACKED. The price of mobile AV ecstasy is a steep one too.

Alpine CDA-7998
I just thought this one looks pretty cool. A 1.5 DIN sized face that folds into a single DIN size chassis. I remember Alpine was bought by JVC a while back. I haven’t had a good experience with JVC, so I’m a bit cautious on buying any of their products.

Thanks for the input. [IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/IMG]
Old 08-02-2002
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
mohawkboom is an unknown quantity at this point
Well if you want to do a little custom work..you can mount the unit where the CD Pocket is and make a new plate for the console trim. This way it would be mounted lower..If you wann got he DVD unit route.

All them units are very nice.. The dark color of the 925 makes it easy to see and looks kinda oem when closed up... the buttons actually very easy to operate..my friend has one but in a 96 civic hatch....

the 825 doesn;t have the built in crossovers..

The Alpine has all the bells and whistles..but only a single 1-bit D/A Converted..you may lose some sound dynamics with this unit..

Hope this helps
Old 08-02-2002
Registered!!

UncleB is an unknown quantity at this point
I don't like the way #1 looks. #2 and #4 look like good choices. Either one of those would be cool. #3 is just hella expensive. If you can float that much money, go for it.
Old 08-02-2002
Registered!!

InanimateCarbonRod will become famous soon enoughInanimateCarbonRod will become famous soon enough
OK, I just came back from the local mobile audio joint, Music In Motion, in Crestwood, IL. I looked at both #1, #3, and #2's older brother the DXZ725.

#1. VERY NICE, too bad the way they oriented the two faceplates absolutly blows. If I don't sit anything short of upright, the lower half of the back faceplate is all but hidden. I really wish they would have put more thought into the design, because I really liked the features this unit has. Unless I fab a lower radio mount (which I don't feel like doing at this point), the Clarion DXZ925 is OUT. [IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/IMG]

Older bro of #2, the Clarion DXZ725.
Looks nice, but the guy wasn't sure if it had a built in electronic crossover. Since the 825 dosn't have it, I'm going to assume the 725 also dosn't have it. DXZ825/DXZ725 = OUT

#3. Way cool looking. Fully motorized LCD screen = something more likely to break. I tried to retract the screen back into the chassis, but it wouldn't go. The sales guy later told me somebody tried to grab it and run, but they just wound up breaking the retract mechanism. If fully buttoned up, the face of this thing would stick out a full 3/4" from the mounting surface. The display was also kind of crappy when compared to the Kenwood Excelon unit they had next to it. IMO, don't waste your money on this one fellas. Clarion VRX925VD = OUT

I'm not too fond of Kenwood stuff, so I can't recall everything he told me about the regular HU and the DVD/LCD HU. I suspect the salesman was either a BIG fan of Kenwood or that the store was trying to push Kenwood stuff.

I'm looking at the Clarion website now, looks like I can add the Clarion DPH910 DIGITAL GRAPHIC & PARAMETRIC EQUALIZER/DSP/CROSSOVER PROCESSOR to the 825. Hrmm, not sure on the cost of that. I might as well just use my old Phoenix Gold EQ215X EQ/Crossover.

Hrmm, gonna have to look at more of the Alpine line, maybe some other brands too.

Thanks for your guys input. I'm gonna keep lookin'. [IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/IMG]