I.C.E. (Audio) & Electrical Upgrades Post all your I.C.E. (In Car Entertainment) and wiring questions here (Audio, video etc.)

steering wheel audio controls

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2005
tlc
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
tlc is an unknown quantity at this point
steering wheel audio controls

I'm not sure if this is the right place to post this question, but here it goes:

Does anyone know how to get audio controls into the steering wheel after-market?

I had the lil buttons in the wheel in my old car, and it made changing the radio station & skipping/fast forwarding/rewinding cd tracks sooooo much more convenient...now I find myself looking away from the road in order to find the right track, etc (as you can see, my priorities are on the tunes )

Any insight or suggestions would be appreciated.
Old 04-24-2005
Registered!!

fink is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by tlc
I'm not sure if this is the right place to post this question, but here it goes:

Does anyone know how to get audio controls into the steering wheel after-market?

I had the lil buttons in the wheel in my old car, and it made changing the radio station & skipping/fast forwarding/rewinding cd tracks sooooo much more convenient...now I find myself looking away from the road in order to find the right track, etc (as you can see, my priorities are on the tunes )

Any insight or suggestions would be appreciated.
I think Pioneer still makes a remote that attaches to the steering wheel. Keep in mind that nothing aftermarket is going to look as clean as a factory one. I think the model number for the pioneer is something like cdsr80. just do a search on the web for it and check it out.
Old 04-24-2005
Registered!!

WhiteRabbit is a glorious beacon of lightWhiteRabbit is a glorious beacon of lightWhiteRabbit is a glorious beacon of lightWhiteRabbit is a glorious beacon of lightWhiteRabbit is a glorious beacon of light
PAC makes a unit, I believe its called the SWI-X. its supposed to tap into one of your horn wires (there are two) or something of that nature to get access to the buttons on the wheel.

then it has a small IR sender that mimicks your remote control. install the sender in range of your radio, then you cna program whatever functions your remote has to your steering wheel buttons.

supposedly it works like a champ.
Old 04-24-2005
Registered!!

tbaleno is an unknown quantity at this point
Whiterabbit: I saw that but it doesn't come with any actual switch for your steering wheel does it? Isn't it ment to adapt a car that allready has the audio buttons there so an aftermarket radio can use them? Anyone know where to get a switch?

I'm glad tlc created this post because I've wanted to do the same thing but can't find a switch to attach to my steering wheel. I was tempted to pick up one for an accord but decided it wouldn't fit right. Does anyone know what would work well.
Old 04-24-2005
Registered!!

JohnDoe is an unknown quantity at this point
yeah thw swix is for cars with existing steering wheel controls. I haven't seen anything aftermarket
Old 04-25-2005
Registered!!

WhiteRabbit is a glorious beacon of lightWhiteRabbit is a glorious beacon of lightWhiteRabbit is a glorious beacon of lightWhiteRabbit is a glorious beacon of lightWhiteRabbit is a glorious beacon of light
id have to read very closely at the exact function at the steering wheel itself, to try to adapt our controls.

we have three buttons that output a "digital" signal using three buttons, three wires.

there is a constant ground, one wire that is hot with resume, one other wire thats hot with set, and both wires get hot with cancel.

if you cna tap into the cruise control buttons on the other side of the wheel, then you can adapt controls using a 3PDT relay hooked to the main CC button. no additional steering wheel buttons required.

I dunno, I think the pioneer steering wheel remote is the way to go. if your radio already has a remote, I would probbaly just use that.

realistically, if you dont have a remote anyways, its not really possible to accomplish.
Old 04-25-2005
Registered!!

AggressiveAdam will become famous soon enoughAggressiveAdam will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by fink
I think Pioneer still makes a remote that attaches to the steering wheel. Keep in mind that nothing aftermarket is going to look as clean as a factory one. I think the model number for the pioneer is something like cdsr80. just do a search on the web for it and check it out.

I hear that it doesnt work too well, theres a pioneer hard wired remote, probably your best bet, just mount it on the steering wheel. Its intended for marine use so its white im considering gettin it
Old 04-25-2005
Registered!!

dma001 is an unknown quantity at this point
I have the Pioneer remote, and it actually works pretty well. It took me a while to figure out that the volume button on my head unit needs to be kept pushed in, though...when left out, it blocks the signal from the remote.
Old 04-25-2005

J187 is a glorious beacon of lightJ187 is a glorious beacon of lightJ187 is a glorious beacon of lightJ187 is a glorious beacon of lightJ187 is a glorious beacon of lightJ187 is a glorious beacon of lightJ187 is a glorious beacon of light
I considered buying another Cruise control switch cluster, flipping it upside down and mounting it on the other side of the wheel - opposite the exitsting cruise buttons. then using a P.A.C interface like Rabbit was talking about. BTW, I have the P.A.C unit in my Grand Prix and it works great.
Old 04-25-2005
tlc
Registered!!

tlc is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by WhiteRabbit
if your radio already has a remote, I would probbaly just use that.

realistically, if you dont have a remote anyways, its not really possible to accomplish.
You just crushed my dream

Apparently there is no remote for my HU (Pioneer 86120-0w110 -- don't bother looking on the Pioneer site, they have no idea what a 86120-0w110 is, or at least I couldn't find it) and no other remotes can be jury-rigged for it. If I could get a remote I would be happy, even without steering wheel controls.

Besides, I'm ghetto enough that I'd use rubber bands/duct tape to hold the remote to the wheel.
Old 04-26-2005
Subarus FTW I do NOT miss my civic

2K1Civic17"Gabe is an unknown quantity at this point
I posted this question like a week ago. After driving my dads CTS and Escalade, it really does suck to have to use the deck. It is so convenient. You can turn down the volume without even moving your hand. I love it.
Old 04-26-2005

J187 is a glorious beacon of lightJ187 is a glorious beacon of lightJ187 is a glorious beacon of lightJ187 is a glorious beacon of lightJ187 is a glorious beacon of lightJ187 is a glorious beacon of lightJ187 is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by tlc
. . .
Besides, I'm ghetto enough that I'd use rubber bands/duct tape to hold the remote to the wheel.
In that case, tape won't stick to your chrome steering wheel. J/K
That was funny thing you said there
Old 10-01-2008
Registered!!

honda000 is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: steering wheel audio controls

Originally Posted by WhiteRabbit
if you cna tap into the cruise control buttons on the other side of the wheel, then you can adapt controls using a 3PDT relay hooked to the main CC button. no additional steering wheel buttons required.
I know this is a super old thread, but do you have more info on how to hook up the cruise-control switches for audio control? I have a 2005 LX special edition.

Thanks.
Old 10-01-2008
Registered!!

check out my more modern thread on best methodologies. The CC switches are not the best method because it is a three wire system. ground is passed, and the other two wires pass the three CC buttons. where the "cancel" button pulses both wires simultaneously.

This makes control integration difficult at best, and impossible at worst.

By far a batter solution is to graft something like a sony control stick such as the RM-4xs into the steering wheel. The stick contains a PCA that is nothing more than a resistor ladder network. These resistors can be replaced for SWI-X compatibility.

Without any modifications the stick works just fine with limited functionality. No shift button, in particular.

Realistically, one could just as easily buy a set of microswitches and mount them to the steering wheel on the left side. There is PLENTY of space without fear of airbag interference.

PAC makes a complete java application concerning SWI-X interface notes, it is quite comprehensive.

--------

concerning getting the wire out of the steering wheel, the wire clock is pre-wired for steering wheel controls meaning you have a spare free wire you can reach inside the steering wheel and also in the steering column. No fancy mod work needed. Just a spring-clip designed for the OEM molexes, easily available at your neighborhood surplus store or pick and pull.

I like the Sony stick method myself because it looks better than a series of microswitches. Also nice to have 12 buttons for the stereo rather than 3. And finally, it is nice because the SWI-X isnt necessary, it is just as compatible with a SWI-V or SWI-PS or SWI-alp etc etc etc.

If interested, shoot me an email (not a PM) about the sony stick. I don't use mine anymore and would be happy to share any information needed about adaptation or real world functionality post installation. Heck if you want it, I'd be happy to sell it also.

Again, re-search and find my newer thread on the steering wheel controls. it's much more modern than this thread.
Old 04-23-2015
Registered!!

Very good first post. However, this thread was started in 2005, that harness is for a 2006-2011 car. Not only incompatible, but the original cars had no SW buttons to convert. We had to add our own buttons or modify in other ways as needed to make things work.

In the future assuming you aren't a robot, check the post date, it might be a stale thread.