I.C.E. (Audio) & Electrical Upgrades Post all your I.C.E. (In Car Entertainment) and wiring questions here (Audio, video etc.)

DIY: Head unit install

Old 11-12-2004
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
JP375 is an unknown quantity at this point
bring on the the pics. any additional resources are always appreciated
Old 11-18-2004
Registered!!

Hmbre is an unknown quantity at this point
Anybody know if they changed anything on the 05s? It looks the same but I'd hate to start pulling on crap and break something in a brand new car. Also, does the trim just pull off that holds the shift boot for us 5 speed guys?
Old 11-19-2004
Banned
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
MegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud of
yes

im not sure about anything else
Old 12-15-2004
Banned

MegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud of
somebody wnana host the pics for me ont heir account? cardomain is starting to crack down on linking out i think
Old 01-02-2005
Banned

pics are hosted

gotta love the 1024x768
Old 01-02-2005
Registered!!

tbaleno is an unknown quantity at this point
megahurtz, go to www.sounddomain.com and make up a members page. Then you can post your images there.
Old 01-03-2005
Banned

I have one, but I think they are starting to crack down on people linking pics out

No worries though, I'm using a paid host now and I have basically unlimited bandwidth, so bring it on!!!
Old 01-05-2005
Registered!!

Ravage is an unknown quantity at this point
my dash is all carbonfiber trim
dangerous
Old 02-20-2005
Registered!!

opticalvetc is an unknown quantity at this point
I just replaced my stock unit in my 03 EX coupe, 5spd. It was not difficult at all. It looks much harder in the pictures. All the trim peices came off ok with a bit of force and they all went back on perfectly. The only part that took me the longest was removing the factory deck from the bracket. I had to discount all the climate controls to get access to some of the screws that were holding the stereo in place. Once that was done it all went back together nice. And sounds really awesome. Totally time about 2 hours. But now that i know what i'm doing i could do it all over again in about 15-20 mins.
Old 02-22-2005
Registered!!

JCiv03 is on a distinguished road
Nice DIY, hopefully i'll be able to use this DIY in the near future if I can afford a HU..
Old 03-11-2005
Registered!!

JeffC21 is an unknown quantity at this point
Thank you

I just wanted to say thank you for having this thread up. Because of it I was able to put my new HU in myself for the first time. I'll post pics later. Thanks again! I wouldn't have been able to do it without this thread.
Old 03-11-2005

coop is a jewel in the roughcoop is a jewel in the roughcoop is a jewel in the rough
One of the really good things about the Internet is stuff like this - I as well was able to do almost full DIY b/c of the people and resources here.
Old 03-12-2005
Banned

glad I could help
Old 03-12-2005
Registered!!

Pitch_BlacK is an unknown quantity at this point
Yo Mega nice DIY man. It was really helpful especially the pictures.

I just installed my new deck a couple of weeks ago on my sedan. It was a piece of cake

thanx
Old 03-13-2005
35+ Years Driving Japanese Autos

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
CraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of light
I have a few questions please. I have an 05 sedan. It appears as the surrounding trim unit must be removed ?? (very tight fit) Will the trim come past the heater and fan controls ?? Also anyone know if the Metra 70-1721 Honda/Acura 98-Up is the proper adaptor for this model ?? The Metra site is kind of unclear. www.metraonline.com

Thanks for any help available.
Old 03-13-2005
35+ Years Driving Japanese Autos

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
CraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of light
O.K. the Metra 70-1721 is the correct harness.

I was able to change the headunit (that insert was tight !!)

I can quickly and easily see that will need a mounting kit to take care of some issues with gaps and poor positioning.

Anyone have any suggestions on a good quality kits that they have used that would be compatible with an 05 sedan ??

I looked at the post your HU thread and they all looked great.
Old 03-13-2005
Banned

metra 99-7897 keeps the stock pocket below
Old 03-13-2005
im stock now! T.T

Civic_RedLine will become famous soon enough
so if you use the metra that lets you keept the oem pocket, do you still need to use that metal peice in the back of the stock unit that holds the oem cd player and pocket?
Old 03-14-2005
Banned

yes becuase the aftermarket cd player will screw into it the same way the stock did
Old 03-14-2005
My penis is just like all my posts, very very short

zachgeyer has a spectacular aura aboutzachgeyer has a spectacular aura about
thats nutz still
Old 03-14-2005
Registered!!

Kedaeus_Sendre is an unknown quantity at this point
A bit of advice for those of us with '04 Civics (5speed)

Do NOT remove the silver trim around your shift ****.. It's un-necessary and you will probably break it as it's attached at the bottom edge (towards the e-brake) with a screw or someshit from underneath the console.. either way it doesn't have to come out and you WILL break it (like i did).

I found it alot easier to remove the entire center console for my job.. I couldn't find enough space for my body underneath the dash, and at the time I was using screwdrivers (USE A SOCKET!!! IMO It's not optional for a first time job) and didn't have the propper clearance to unscrew..

Attempting to unscrew the two screws that hold everything in place (last pic) is a bitch.. and both screws ended up being stripped before I did the smart thing and went back home to grab my socket set. Use an 8mm socket.. The screws are much to tight for a screw driver.

If you want to remove your center console start at the back and move forward..

There are two screws below your arm rest, about 2 inches off the floor (remove)
Open you'r armrest - remove the two screws holding the hinge in place
Get a butter knife and pull up the rubber matt in the bottom of your armrest box.. (It's just sitting in there, no glue or anything) unscrew the screw in the floor of the box.

Now start at the beginning of this (thread) DIY.. it *MIGHT* make your job a bit easier if you are abnormally large or extremely impatient.. or if you just like to take **** apart.

Last edited by Kedaeus_Sendre; 03-14-2005 at 10:58 AM.
Old 03-20-2005
I dont know what im talking about

Supermanrider is an unknown quantity at this point
thats a good DIY good job
Old 03-29-2005
Registered!!

ihjoon is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by Kedaeus_Sendre
A bit of advice for those of us with '04 Civics (5speed)

Do NOT remove the silver trim around your shift ****.. It's un-necessary and you will probably break it as it's attached at the bottom edge (towards the e-brake) with a screw or someshit from underneath the console.. either way it doesn't have to come out and you WILL break it (like i did).

I found it alot easier to remove the entire center console for my job.. I couldn't find enough space for my body underneath the dash, and at the time I was using screwdrivers (USE A SOCKET!!! IMO It's not optional for a first time job) and didn't have the propper clearance to unscrew..

Attempting to unscrew the two screws that hold everything in place (last pic) is a bitch.. and both screws ended up being stripped before I did the smart thing and went back home to grab my socket set. Use an 8mm socket.. The screws are much to tight for a screw driver.

If you want to remove your center console start at the back and move forward..

There are two screws below your arm rest, about 2 inches off the floor (remove)
Open you'r armrest - remove the two screws holding the hinge in place
Get a butter knife and pull up the rubber matt in the bottom of your armrest box.. (It's just sitting in there, no glue or anything) unscrew the screw in the floor of the box.

Now start at the beginning of this (thread) DIY.. it *MIGHT* make your job a bit easier if you are abnormally large or extremely impatient.. or if you just like to take **** apart.
THANK YOU, i've been lookin for SO long how to do a freaken manual... i broke off my 4.5 volt thing cuz i read the DIY for the 01-03 civic thing. so gay. then i tried some other things, got lost, but thans so much, it finally makes sense!!
Old 03-30-2005
Registered!!

gatorsactions is an unknown quantity at this point
I have an 04 civic coupe with manual trans. Can I remove the ring around the shift boot in the same manner? (i.e., just pop it off)
Old 03-30-2005
OyD
Registered!!

OyD is an unknown quantity at this point
You don't need to removet he ring on a manual. I just removed the piece with the ring attached.
Old 04-03-2005
Registered!!

someone show more detail. PLEASE
Old 04-03-2005
Newbie Member

thomusvoo is on a distinguished road
what problem are you having?
i can help...

i followed that.
its basiclly good as is.
Old 04-04-2005
Banned

how much more detail could you possibly need? I made a 9 step process out of what it really a 4 step process
Old 04-04-2005
Registered!!

im a noob, first time..
Old 04-05-2005
Registered!!

04silverlx is an unknown quantity at this point
Thank You for posting this, I got the wiring harness and the faceplate kit and didn't have the instructions on installing, I was going to try to go off the old models instructions and wing what was necessary, but thanks to MegaHurtz I have proper instructions. YAY! My only worry now is connecting the wires but I should be alright if the colors match. (as long as the plug fits the back of my hu)
Hey, can anyone tell this is my first time installing by my self?
Thanks everybody, and coop - the cure is awesome!!!!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: DIY: Head unit install