Parts and Products Post new products, talk about parts other than electrical, drivetrain and suspension.

2001 Civic LX Window Regulators

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2009
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
RobynDoe is an unknown quantity at this point
2001 Civic LX Window Regulators

First off, sorry if this is a repost or if it's in the wrong place. Feel free to correct me and I'll delete/move the post... whatever I need to do.

Car info: 2001 Civic LX TWO DOOR

I've been looking for window regulators for this car. On both sides, a little plastic piece broke off and won't hold the windows on the track anymore. At first we tried to just find a replacement for the plastic piece, but eventually the cables got warped and need to be replaced. Problem is, all the local parts stores tell me this car doesn't exist. (I promptly point it out in the parking lot and tell them to argue with THAT)

I've been told that the 2001 LX was only available in 4dr body types by Auto Zone, O'reilly's, and Advanced Auto Parts.

VIN number indicates it's an American model. I've tried all the local junkyards and they say they don't have any cars like this one so no available parts.

E-Bay and random googling haven't turned up anything useful either.

Am I just missing something simple? Are the two door and four door regulators the same size? I wouldn't think they would be... but who knows.

I'm trying to avoid going to the Honda dealer (an hour away) because I have a feeling it will be ridiculously expensive. Their labor is $85/hr. I can only guess what their parts cost. Plus... hate to say it... but when I get on the phone or show up somewhere to ask about parts.. I usually get the runaround and they ask for my husband or any other MAN they can talk to. Sucks being a girl sometimes. Lol.

Anyways.. if I could get some advice or get pointed in the right direction that would be great. Sorry for being ridiculously long-winded.
Old 05-09-2009
Registered!!

wallydude03 will become famous soon enough
Re: 2001 Civic LX Window Regulators

what is a window regulator? which part are u talking about?
https://www.civicforums.com/forums/3...vic-coupe.html

Last edited by wallydude03; 05-09-2009 at 10:58 PM.
Old 05-10-2009
Registered!!

Originally Posted by wallydude03
what is a window regulator? which part are u talking about?
https://www.civicforums.com/forums/3...vic-coupe.html
That's a very helpful post. However... it's not the "how-to" that I'm after. It's there location of the part that will fit my exact car. A window regulator is the component that raises and lowers the window.
Old 05-10-2009
Registered!!

I have personally replaced the plastic thing that the window sits on and it requires a lot of work and i still broke on me again. If i were u i would just get another assembly, which includes the motor, the cables and the slider. They are very hard to find on the internet, so i got mine at a junkyard close to my home. They should only cost about 50 dollars for one assembly. I found one on ebay for you:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/01-02...Q5fAccessories

Why did yours break? they usualy dont break except if you install oversized speakers in the door, which will tilt the glass as it comes down break the plastic piece as it comes down.
Old 05-11-2009
35+ Years Driving Japanese Autos

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
CraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of light

I put the 2 door LX info in on hondaautomotiveparts.com and it shows the power window regulator. ( it will be a dealer item & not available from auto parts stores)

The 7th gens sure went cheap with these window regulator/motor assemblies. They seem to fail quite a bit.
Old 05-11-2009
Registered!!

If I had to guess, I'd say they broke because they got hot. It was over 100 degrees during the summer the broke, so maybe just too much heat plus the weight of the windows was too much for the cheap plastic.

As far as junkyards, there's not many in the entire western side of the state (we're completely shut off from the rest of civilization by rivers, and we're about 20 years behind everyone around us) and none of the junkyards have a car like this.
Old 05-11-2009
Registered!!

Also.... would the regulator in this car really be different from another type of civic? say... an EX or something like that? Just a thought.
Old 05-12-2009
Registered!!

korndo1284 is an unknown quantity at this point

Go to http://www.hondaautomotiveparts.com/ Thats were i get all my honda parts from. Most of the time there are like 30-60% lower then dealer cost. 100% oem parts( most of the time there cheaper then Autozone/Kragens. \

http://www.hondaautomotiveparts.com/...5=DOOR+WINDOWS
Here is a link to the window motor page. There are 2 part numbers for the windows 1 for left and 1 for the right, make sure you get the right one. Hope this helps
Old 05-12-2009

CraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of light

Only the correct side 2 door unit will fit ( EX & LX #s should be the same) What years will interchange... I can't say.

I would avoid a unit like this from a junkyard, it may not last long.

Majestic is a good place to order from. The shipping and handling will come to about $20 so I try to combine parts orders when possible.
Old 05-12-2009
Registered!!

01-05 2dr civic lx ex window regulators are all the same.
Old 09-15-2009
Registered!!

civic_goober is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by wallydude03
01-05 2dr civic lx ex window regulators are all the same.
I bought mine from the Hamilton NJ honda dealer at 130 & Crosswicks for $80.07.

I called MajesticHonda and it was $179.00.

I have a 2001 Civic LX 4dr.
Took me an hour to take out the old one and replace it and put the trim back on.
There's a link to a post where someone did step by step photos.
Old 03-10-2011
Registered!!

thefatalepic is an unknown quantity at this point

I have a 2001 Civic 4dr EX, my driver side window doesn't close when I roll it up unless I hold it to the left to keep it from leaving the tracks as I roll it up.

I ordered the window regulator because someone opened my door and told me the little plastic piece holding the window is broken.

When I received it, it wasn't the same as what was in my door. The original regulator has two plugs - as in there's two spots to plug stuff into it. The one I ordered has one spot to plug something and a wire/cable coming out of it. I returned it, and went online trying to find the right part - but when I put in 2001 Civic EX Sedan Front Driver Side I get a picture of the same regulator (with a cable coming out of it).

Any ideas?
Old 03-10-2011

http://www.hondapartsnow.com/genuine...0-S5D-A03.html

Was it a new part ??

I show a connector for the power and 1 for the pulse used for the auto down on the original.

Last edited by CraigW; 03-10-2011 at 04:38 PM.
Old 03-10-2011
Registered!!

Yes, the part I ordered was new. It's starting to seem like the correct part is what I don't have in there right now. Anywhere I look for the part and put in 2001 Civic EX Sedan Front Driver I get what I think your describing - a regulator with a cable/wire harness thing coming out of it.

What I pulled out of my door has no cables coming out of it - just two spots to plug in cables.

I attached an image of what looks like the regulator I returned. And the other 3 images are of what came out of my door.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	HO1351108.jpg
Views:	264
Size:	55.5 KB
ID:	80419   Click image for larger version

Name:	001.jpg
Views:	310
Size:	41.3 KB
ID:	80420   Click image for larger version

Name:	002.jpg
Views:	273
Size:	24.8 KB
ID:	80421   Click image for larger version

Name:	003.jpg
Views:	250
Size:	22.2 KB
ID:	80422  
Old 03-10-2011

The service manual shows it as single harness and 4 pin connector coming up out of the drivers door. Do the wiring and connectors leading to the motor you have look factory or has it been reworked/spliced like maybe an aftermarket regulator ??

If you get an OEM regulator you just match up wire colors & add connectors, pretty simple.
Old 03-10-2011
Registered!!

Hmmm you're right. I guess I was hoping to find an exact replacement so I can just plug stuff in and go. But if it isn't the right part maybe that's why it broke in the first place

I'll re-order the correct OEM regulator and cut and connect the wires together. I don't remember tracing the wire all the way down, now that I think about it - for all I know I can probably unplug the other end of it.

Thanks for helping, I really appreciate it. I'll update my results later for the 1 in a billion chance someone else has the same problem with a Frankensteined Civic like mine.