I.C.E. (Audio) & Electrical Upgrades Post all your I.C.E. (In Car Entertainment) and wiring questions here (Audio, video etc.)

Two general questions

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2016
Registered!!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Meanie is an unknown quantity at this point
Two general questions

Hi, I have two general questions about my 2014 Civic EX coupe I hope can be answered.

First, I am aware I can disconnect the fuse to my daytime running lights and they will still work with the high beam if needed. The problem is, I like my DRL, especially since I installed LEDs, but there will be times I need to turn them off. Therefore, I thought about installing a switch within the fuse somehow, allowing me to turn on or off the DRL at will. Anyone know how to do this?

Second, since installing the LED for my DRL, I like the idea of completing the entire vehicle with LEDs. I had to install a load resisters for the DRL to eliminate the "check DRL system" message. Therefore, if I installed LEDs to the rest of the vehicle, will I receive more messages and require more load resisters? I didn't find anything in the manual about warnings for the DRL, thus, I didn't know it would partake. The same applies with the other lights as I don't know if a warning will display.

Thank you
Old 07-23-2016
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Two general questions

Anyone know how to do this?
Wires, switch, fuse holder and fuse, and male spade terminals the proper size so you don't ruin the terminals inside the fuse box. Maybe someone makes a fusebox tap that can plug in to a fuse slot?

Therefore, if I installed LEDs to the rest of the vehicle, will I receive more messages and require more load resisters? I didn't find anything in the manual about warnings for the DRL, thus, I didn't know it would partake. The same applies with the other lights as I don't know if a warning will display.
No, DRL are the only ones with a warning system.

Turn signals will probably need resistors so they don't blink rapidly, but I haven't done this conversion myself so that's only a guess. Try without and see what happens?

Last edited by ezone; 07-23-2016 at 06:02 PM.
Old 07-23-2016
Registered!!

Thank you, ezone.

On my motorcycle, the signals blink faster and I know this is common with cars when a bulb is burned out, at least that I'm aware of in the past. These newer cars have so much in features I have no idea what they will do.
Old 07-23-2016

ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Had a minute to look in a diagram, I see the turn signals are controlled through the multiplex system (body controller) so you will probably need load resistors on the turn signal lights to make them flash at a reasonable speed.
Old 07-23-2016
Registered!!

Originally Posted by ezone
Had a minute to look in a diagram, I see the turn signals are controlled through the multiplex system (body controller) so you will probably need load resistors on the turn signal lights to make them flash at a reasonable speed.
If I don't use resistors, does that mean I will receive a message or will they simply flash faster?

BTW, with your parts suggestion for the DRL switch, how would I hook install it all?
Old 07-23-2016

Originally Posted by Meanie
If I don't use resistors, does that mean I will receive a message or will they simply flash faster?
:
Originally Posted by ezone
No, DRL are the only ones with a warning system.
The turn signals will probably flash at an extreme rate.