Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

06 Civic Ex

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2016
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Jordan Flores is an unknown quantity at this point
06 Civic Ex

I have an 06 Civic Ex sedan, it has the factory R18 and is completely stock. I know it's not supposed to be a fast car.......but does anybody know how much power the engine should be putting to the wheels, and what was the factory 0-60 time?

I don't know if it's just because of my cars age, but it takes me over 15 seconds to go from 0-60, which is ridiculous. Minivans can go faster than that.

Is something wrong with my car or is this normal?
Old 07-05-2016
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: 06 Civic Ex

but it takes me over 15 seconds to go from 0-60
You got a check engine light on? Got fault codes?

Make sure engine oil is full

Automatic transmission?
Pull the floor mats out of the way so the gas pedal can go all the way to the floor.
Mash the gas pedal to the floor and leave it there for the entire acceleration run up to 60. Or 70. Whatever.
Let the engine reach redline when it shifts. Don't back off the gas pedal until you hit the speed goal.
Old 07-05-2016

ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

The new R18A engine is rated for a maximum power output of 103kW (140PS) at 6,300rpm and maximum torque of 174N·m (17.7kg·m or 128lb-ft) at 4,300rpm. It is an undersquare design, with a bore & stroke of 81.0mm X 87.3mm, displacing a total of 1799c.c.

http://asia.vtec.net/Engines/RiVTEC/

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Honda_R_engine

Sorry I didn't find 0-60 times
Old 07-06-2016
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Jordan Flores is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for the reply man.

My car is automatic and I found that the 0-60 time for the automatic coupe was 8.9 seconds. The sedan shouldn't be much slower but it still takes me almost 7 seconds longer to get to 60. What I've been doing it shifting to 1st gear and taking off, redlining the needle and shifting to 2nd, redlining it again and shifting to D3. It usually takes me 3 gears to get to 60.

My car has had a engine light for like 3 years now. It comes on and off al on its own and every time I take it to get looked at, its nothing. Usually AutoZone and OReilly's say my thermostat need to be replaced and my catalytic converter is nearing the end of its life. Maybe its just an O2 sensor though? I dont have any fault codes. The alternator was rebuilt last December, although my battery is 5 years old and may need to be replaced. My car does die every once in a while. But my battery cables are also corroded quite a bit and should probably be replaced. I do push my car pretty hard so I'm thinking maybe it just doesn't have the pep it used to. It also has 150k miles on it.
Old 07-06-2016

What I've been doing it shifting to 1st gear and taking off,
Leave the shifter in D and let the computer shift it when it wants to.

My car has had a engine light for like 3 years now.
If that sucker is on, there are fault codes.

If none of the free places can do the job, you got exactly what you paid for.

Now you need to figure out what the codes really are and why. (Normally codes are stored in memory for quite a while after the light goes out on its own, then the memory self clears.....so you might need to wait until the light comes on again to get codes out of it.)
Then see about fixing them the right way.