Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Car overheated cranks but would start

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2014
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
cpsamad is an unknown quantity at this point
Car overheated cranks but would start

Hi everybody, in the course of the last three weeks my 96 civic dx overheated three times. First time because of a busted hose, fixed that went for a week then overheated. This time I noticed the fan was not turning, turned out the couling fan switch was out replaced that mean while antifreeze level was diminishing and I need to put more everytime I check the oil. I know somthing was not right until it overheated one more time and this time I knew what happen it was a simple thing that unexperienced poeple like me overlook, the radiator cap had a busted valve and of course the cooling system was not sealed and everytime the antifreeze reached a boiling point it will go out as steam leaving the engine with a dry radiator thus the overheating. So I replaced the radiator cap, topped the antifreeze and bled it out and went home. I thaught I was out of my misery. I was far from that. After a while wanted to start the car but THE CAR CRANKS BUT WOULD NOT START.
I knew that inorder for an engine to start it needs fuel and spark, so I tested the distributer, the spark plugs the wire the fuel pump and injection, everything seems to be in good order.
I even did a compression test and it was except for one cylinder bit once again it would not keep the car from starting or at least that is what I think.
Anyway I sorry being lengthy but wanted to give the most details I could. So if you have an idea on what could be provoking this please let me know I am in need to get to the bottom of this.
Thx and please let me know if you need more details to be able to do a good diagnostic.

Last edited by cpsamad; 01-15-2014 at 07:52 PM.
Old 01-15-2014
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Car overheated cranks but would start

Fill the radiator to the top. The very top. The tippy top.

Leave the radiator cap off for this check.

Have someone else crank the engine while you watch the water level in the radiator

Does it look like a geyser spewing out?