Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

2006 Serpentine belt size problem

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2012
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
speedy25 is an unknown quantity at this point
2006 Serpentine belt size problem

I've been trying to handle this problem for about a year. Belts purchased at auto parts stores have been too long. One store found me a shorter belt but it was too short! Got a belt from the dealer that the car was bought from and it is too long as well!!

OEM # 04301-RNA-307 has a circumference of 85.5"

Belt off the car is 77 5/8"

Soooooo what the heck is going on here? I would suspect a problem if this had some strange variant of power accesories but its a straight PS and AC. Nothing weird there.

Anyone else encounter this and have a correct part number/size?

-SP
Old 05-29-2012
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: 2006 Serpentine belt size problem

Use the new routing
Old 05-29-2012

ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

The original serp belt should easily last more than 100k...

Have the recalls been done for the water pump/pulley/tensioner?

08-038 cracks
08-039 pulley bolts
09-007 tensioner pivot bolt

Belts got a different routing from original on SOME cars.

Original for SOME

Updated routing, used on all now, AFAIK (except non-AC cars):

Post the VIN, I can probably check recalls
Old 05-29-2012

Found a copy of the original bulletin that started the different belt routing here \

Old 05-31-2012
Registered!!

speedy25 is an unknown quantity at this point

I HATE when they do that! Yeah the current belt routing resembles the "original for some" pic. I'll try the revised routing with the new belt. Car has almost 160k so yes a new belt is in order. It has some good cracks in it.

Thanks guys. That info doesnt just pop up just anywhere!

-SP
Old 06-01-2012

Have the recalls been done? The belts that get rerouted with the recall also get the belt replaced. I haven't seen any left with the original routing.

Post your VIN, or call a dealer and have them check.
Recalls are FREE, you know.
Recalls are pretty darned important too, that's why they are recalls.
Old 06-03-2012
Registered!!

ubnpast is on a distinguished road

Its not a recall, its a service bulletin, if you are not under powertrain warranty they will charge you for the part and labor for install if you do not do it yourself. All "recalls" are free of charge such as the air bag replacements honda was doing on the 7th gen civics and CRVs.
Old 06-03-2012

Originally Posted by ubnpast
Its not a recall, its a service bulletin,

Yo, dog. These are recalls, and the belt routing is included with some of these:

Originally Posted by ezone
Have the recalls been done for the water pump/pulley/tensioner?

08-038 cracks
08-039 pulley bolts
09-007 tensioner pivot bolt
VIN must be checked to see which ones, if any, apply to the car.
Old 06-03-2012
Registered!!

ubnpast is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by ezone
Yo, dog. These are recalls, and the belt routing is included with some of these:

VIN must be checked to see which ones, if any, apply to the car.
I agree there is recalls for the wp, cracking block, and also the tensioner pivot bolt, but there is no recall for the belt only (at least on my 06), its a service bulletin which means they know about the problem and have a fix available but you have to pay for it.

My belt was original, I just replaced with the Honda revised belt and new routing.
Old 06-03-2012

Let me make this perfectly clear:
*AHEM* (Stands up) I'm an idiot, and I have a reading comprehension problem....

These were product updates (similar to a recall -- but with an expiration date), and now I read that they expired already...BUT they would have covered the belt routing update if it hadn't been done already, it was included in all of these. Free of charge, part of the repair. New belt and everything, as long as it had AC.

09-007 updates the belt routing.
NOTE: This product update ends on January 30, 2012.

08-039 updates the belt routing.
NOTE: This product update ends on August 15, 2011.

08-038 updates the belt routing.
NOTE: This product update ends on August 15, 2011.

The one for "cracks" is not the block cracking, it is for the water pump pulley flange cracking. 08-038.