Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

08 Honda civic lx issue..

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2012
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Kevinlondon88 is an unknown quantity at this point
08 Honda civic lx issue..

So I jus got this used Honda civic lx 5 speed...I have noticed every so often when I go and switch gears it hesitates a few times before it speeds up? Any idea why this is would it be a fuel pump or filter issue?... Also when I'm down shifting from 3 to 2 it doesn always fully engage into 2?
Old 06-05-2012
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: 08 Honda civic lx issue..

Is this your first manual trans car?
Old 06-05-2012
Registered!!

I have had others first Honda manual
Old 06-05-2012

ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

The only bulletin I see is for a 6 speed.

Most complaints on the manuals are related to operator error, unless the trans has bearing problems.

If the trans really has shifting problems, most of the time it was still operator error. Blame the last owner.

I had to fix an S2000 trans after sales let a couple kids joyride in it, only took 5 minutes for them to ruin 3rd gear.

You have a bunch of miles?
Fluid been changed?
Got exact details about the specific issue?
Let someone that is very familiar with the cars drive it (dealer tech) for an opinion.
5/60 (US) powertrain warranty.
Old 06-05-2012
Registered!!

It has about 71,XXX miles When I bought the car I noticed the second problem right off the bat and had then check it they said clutch and tranny was ok so they serviced the tranny fixed it for a little(kinda) it still wasn't wanting to go fully into second sometimes but not as much as before now that it's been a few months since then it's doing it again but the hesitation thing started a few months ago and it happeneds every so often... But I'm not sure if it could be something with the fuel filter being dirty or what not? Or idk if the air filter could cause the hesitation cuz I know that needs to be replaced. When I do so I'm getting a K&N tho
Old 06-05-2012

The hesitation, I have no idea. The engine has throttle-by-wire. Could be many things.
It won't be the fuel filter, and it is built into the tank unit anyway.
A scanner datalist might give me relevant info that would or would not lead me to do fuel checks.
If it goes there, then it could be evaluated pretty easy with fuel pressure and volume test.

Seriously doubt the air filter would be at fault, but you may as well look.

Check engine light on?
Old 06-05-2012
Registered!!

No lights on. Whats a fuel check?.. Jw. Off topic 08 civic takes synthetic oil right? Not conventional?..
Old 06-06-2012

Originally Posted by Kevinlondon88
Whats a fuel check?..
The pressure and volume checks I stated above.

Jw. Off topic 08 civic takes synthetic oil right? Not conventional?..
In order for the oil life monitor to be followed, the oil must be of superior quality. The monitor can allow anywhere from 3000 to 12,000 miles between changes, depending on how you drive.

The oil supplied to us right now comes from Conoco-Phillips, makers of Shell and Kendall among a few others.
The bulk 5w20 that is used in the majority of the cars I currently service is considered Semi-Synthetic, or a blend. It is a GF-5 oil that is blended to Hondas specs...Or we can get "Full Synthetic" 5w20 in quart bottles for an even higher price. The closest equivalent you can buy in a store would be Kendall GT1 Ultimate Synthetic (from what I understand).
A correct Mobil-1 5w20 is also good.

Lower quality (cheaper made) oils won't last the time/miles that the oil life monitor will tell you to go. The engine may not sludge, but the effects are still there and show up later on. The WallyWorld, JizzyLube, and "low maintenance" crowd tends to eat up the timing chain on that engine far too early. Your first clue is the chain jumps time.
Timing chain job sucks donkey ***** if the engine is still in the car.

I looked at a 2010 Odyssey a couple weeks ago for a misfire and a noise. This van had a history of speedylubes, that was certain, not sure of frequency though.
Problem #1 was it would foul the number 1 sparkplug with slow oil consumption, like every 10,000 miles.
Problem #2 was a loud ticking noise (this was the only complaint LOL) It had worn off one lobe of the front bank camshaft #5 cylinder. Worn on the "closing side" of the lobe, which is quite unusual IMO.
I can only assume that one was due to oil quality and neglect.
Old 06-06-2012

Oh yeah, if someone neglected the engine before you got the car, you just have to deal with it.
Use the correct oil, check it often. Keep it full.
Old 06-06-2012
Registered!!

Ya I normally stay on food the minor stuff like fluids but if there using conventional oil im going to see if I purchase the oil ment for my can in hopes they will use that to fill it. I jus had an oil change and it already burned up half the pan the dip stick it about half as much as it should or you think I should jus go somewhere that they actually use the correct oil without going out an buying it?
Old 06-06-2012

Was the oil full when the oil change rolled out their door? How do YOU know this?

Why would you keep going to a place that can't be bothered to use proper fluids, something as simple as oil?

The old tribal knowledge of "all oil is the same", or "the oil in a yellow bottle is junk", is a load of hooey. That mentality ruins some pretty expensive stuff these days, and good luck proving it and blaming any one person.

Lube technology has advanced exponentially in the last 10-15 years.
Old 06-06-2012
Registered!!

Well i jus called them the other day and asked them what kind of oil they put in my car and they told me jus a conventional. And I'm guessing it was full they jus changed it?...
Old 06-06-2012

**AHEM**

Originally Posted by Kevinlondon88
And I'm guessing it was full...

Your guess does not equate fact nor proof.

YOU did not check it.
YOU do not know.

The kid that changed your oil was probably asking if "you want fries with that?" last week.
"All cars get 5 quarts no matter if it needs it or not."

Do you trust minimum wage workers?
I don't. I don't even trust most of the people I work with.

You already know they can't be bothered to use the correct oil, so what on earth makes you think anyone would bother to make sure there is enough in it at all?
Low cost leader: 5w30 is some of the cheapest oil to make, has the highest profit margin, is pushed heavily because of this, and also some of the lowest quality.

Cut costs, cut corners, charge full boat.

I think you probably can already guess what my opinion is of this entire mess.
If you haven't figured it out by now, then.........

Last edited by ezone; 06-06-2012 at 06:56 PM. Reason: Profit!