6th Generation Civic 1996 - 2000 In the years from 1996 to 2000 Honda released it's 6th Generation Civic.
Chassis codes: EK9, EK4, EK3, EJ6, EJ8, EJ9, EM1

Gas tank years

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2014
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Phatmatt is an unknown quantity at this point
Gas tank years

My girlfriend has a 2000 Civic automatic and I need to replace the gas tank, While checking online it only says 1999-2000 will fit. I know this model goes from 1996-2000.

Will a tank from 96-98 fit? Because I found one from a 98 for a good price.

Thanks.

Actually while we're on the subject, will practically any part interchange between 96-00 ?
Old 07-27-2014
Registered!!

nsxvtec will become famous soon enough
Re: Gas tank years

yes the gas tank is the same and will fit.

96-2000 is the same generation but there were small subtle changes in some areas between 96-98 and 99-2000

dashboard and ventilation controls, some minute interior wiring and trim changes, exterior rear lights, same size but slight different looks. Also front fenders, headlights, hood, bumpers and radiator support.
Old 07-27-2014
Registered!!

Ok thanks that helps a lot.

But is there a difference between the years? For every place to say that 96-98 and 99-00 are not the same?
Old 08-10-2014
Registered!!

david5300 is an unknown quantity at this point

What is the level of difficulty to remove a Honda LX gas tank?
It seems that there is always something that wants to bit you when you plan a job in advance.
Old 08-10-2014
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Biggest issue IMO would be dealing with the rust. You may need tank straps and/or hardware replaced, small fasteners will likely be stuck, etc..
Old 08-16-2014
Registered!!

nsxvtec will become famous soon enough

It's not that hard if you are mechanically inclined, have proper tools, use your smarts and work safely. However it is quite a bit of work still.

Access to a hoist will eliminate most of the back breaking work. Having the car safely elevated is the first priority. You will probably find the fuel lines and or brake lines that run under the car rusted out or just about to. You have to remove the rear seat bench in order to access the connections to the fuel tank, lines and electrical. The rusty tank straps and nuts, as well as the clamps for the various lines and the filler connection at the tank are usually usually the biggest rust problem. Removing the forward bolts on the straps instead of trying to loosen the nuts of the strap hooks from the back where they hook into the frame usually works better. Just did 2 of these, hard brake lines and fuel lines (return and feed) on a 98 civic Si and 2K civic Si) without a hoist. Your back and neck will probable have a serious difference of opinion with you.
Why tell you this? To properly replace the fuel and brake lines using the original routing the tank must be removed, so as you are replacing the tank, you should check the hard lines while you are under there. Work safe.
Old 08-18-2014
Registered!!

Wasn't very complicated to change, but like others have said the rust is what makes it a longer job. I did mine in my driveway and used a jack under the tank to lower and raise the new one, not the best way especially since I used to work in a garage on a lift..
Oh that and the fact that a rainstorm decided to happen while i was halfway done, but I had to finish the job since I needed the car the next morning. Worst job I've done in my life :P

Also my neck, back and forearms hated me !