7th Generation Civic 2001 - 2005 In the years from 2001 to 2005 Honda released it's 7th Generation Civic.
Chassis codes: EM2, ES1, EP3, EU1
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Will THIS engine fit my car?

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2013
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
beeemerdude is an unknown quantity at this point
Will THIS engine fit my car?

Local web ad:

http://classifieds.castanet.net/deta...-_d16/1771154/

My car: 1991 Honda Civic DX 4-dr auto (willing to chg to stick, unless I can throw away the clutch listed in ad, & just use engine)

Engine in ad (above): from a 2001 Honda Civic

My engine is tired. Good winter beater, but have no HP when go up hills. I leave a long trail of cars behind me going up the smallest hill. For $150, it sounds like a screamin' deal for me, & 2 monkeys in a mouse wheel could produce more power than what's IN my car already.

Thoughts? Advice? (Will it bolt up to MY 10yr OLDER tranny/etc?)

Please note, I am a bimmer man, I know nothing of Hondas, so your expertise & frankness is most graciously appreciated.

PS. Here's a pic or 4 of my very special winter beater (my 90yr old mother's car originally) 1991 Honda Civic DX which has the verrry rare BMW AC Schnitzer Sports option...just found some awesome OEM wheels for her ("Eileen"...as in..."Com'on Eileen" music video ....named her as I had a stream of cars behind me & song came up whilst driving UP a hill) I know there's a few pics, but I'm PROUD of her. So, whilst u peruse. please click on the ytube video & listen to the "her" song. BUT PLEASE,...SOMEONE ANSWER my ENGINE Q ! THX !!!

[autostream]http://autostream.com/ibcivicforums/?page_type=firebirdplayerthumbnail&framepage=1446& transactionid=1381382728-174417640&posted_by=_www.civicforums.com&youtube_v ideo_id=oc-P8oDuS0Q[/autostream]

Name:  DSC01029_zps0efc659e.jpg
Views: 143
Size:  125.1 KB

Name:  DSC01035_zpsb6288cb0.jpg
Views: 142
Size:  125.3 KB

Name:  DSC01031_zpsd7be54ea.jpg
Views: 189
Size:  127.4 KB

Name:  DSC01046_zps2d6d3edc.jpg
Views: 165
Size:  128.7 KB

Name:  DSC01043_zps874d57fa.jpg
Size:  129.0 KB

Name:  DSC01034_zps6074aa7d.jpg
Views: 183
Size:  122.3 KB

Name:  DSC01048_zpsb32f29ca.jpg
Views: 179
Size:  124.0 KB

Old 10-10-2013
Registered!!

Fliptard will become famous soon enoughFliptard will become famous soon enough
Re: Will THIS engine fit my car?

so, you found a motor from an 01 civic? most likely a D17 and for $150?

$150 for an engine indicates something is probably wrong with it. or someone just really doesn't care and wants to get rid of it.

In short terms, No it will not bolt to your trans or go into your car.

The options you have to swap out a motor are vast, from finding another motor from the same year car (1987-1991), using a 92-95 OBD1 engine and changing your car from DPFI to MPFI, swaping in a B-series, H series, K series. depending on your goal and budget.

I would suggest reading up on swaps here http://www.ef-honda.com/ben/EFswapguide.html for starters and see what you want to do.
Old 10-11-2013
Registered!!

UPDATE.

dude emailed me..... here it si..

I'm actually not much of a Honda guy myself so I wouldn't be able to answer that for you.
Another thing to note about this engine is that it is out of a 98 Honda civic not a 2001. I made a typo while writing it.
Keep In touch.

Daniel

++++++++++++++

so,...it looks like a '98 Civic engine....for ,y '91....

Q still stands...WILL It FIT ??

(thx for prev reply. need info....also, appears guy just wants to clean out his gargae...so.....$150?.......sounds pretty good, considering my '91 engine is TI-ERRRED.)

Advice? Thoughts?....thx in advance....
Old 10-11-2013
Prelude Owner

Received 303 Likes on 214 Posts
GolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to behold

http://www.ef-honda.com/ben/EFswapguide.html
Old 10-11-2013
Whachya lookin at?

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
BlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond repute

Wh... whh...whhy are there BMW stickers all over your civic?
Old 10-11-2013
Registered!!

Originally Posted by GolNat
Originally Posted by BlueEM2
Wh... whh...whhy are there BMW stickers all over your civic?
cuz it's a HONDA. a 1991 HONDA. a 1991 HONDA DX FOUR-DOOR. A 1991 Honda DX FOUR-DOOR with 210,000 kilometres. I am a BMW guy.

Originally Posted by Fliptard
so, you found a motor from an 01 civic? most likely a D17 and for $150?

$150 for an engine indicates something is probably wrong with it. or someone just really doesn't care and wants to get rid of it.

In short terms, No it will not bolt to your trans or go into your car.

The options you have to swap out a motor are vast, from finding another motor from the same year car (1987-1991), using a 92-95 OBD1 engine and changing your car from DPFI to MPFI, swaping in a B-series, H series, K series. depending on your goal and budget.

I would suggest reading up on swaps here http://www.ef-honda.com/ben/EFswapguide.html for starters and see what you want to do.
Above BOLD is EXACTLY what I needed to know. Thanks!. Altho' I certainly DO appreciate the thought of u posting a swap guide, ..(and I DO, truly)...but this is a WINTER BEATER, so I will not be researching it that much. I admit, she has SOME sentimental value being a car my dad bought my mom new in 1991. But it is still a 1991 Honda DX, FOUR-DOOR, so it's not worth the effort of read copious amounts of reading material when I can get a 1 or 2 sentence her stating YES it will fit, or NO it won't. I don't truly mean to come across as being a dyck...but my interest is not in Hondas. Its BMWs. But I DO love this car, cuz it's the Energizer Bunny. It runs, it drives, it goes no matter how much I beat on it. I am even proud to say I got a parking ticket & the dude-meter man put down "BMW 325 ci " as the model. It was the ONLy time I actually didn't MIND paying a ticket.

Anyway. Thx to all for the info about whether that 2001 $150 engine will fit, which it won't. Thx, again.
Old 10-12-2013
PITA Admin
Administrator

Received 1,444 Likes on 1,199 Posts
sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

erm, he is telling about the D17, for 2001 cars... you link is for an 98, which i am not sure if fits or not.
Old 10-12-2013
PITA Admin
Administrator

sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

you could have attempted to check on here instead:

https://www.civicforums.com/forums/2...er-models.html

one quote there:
" All Honda’s 1991 and earlier are considered OBD 0. This means that the engines don’t utilize any oxygen sensors and have little in the way of emissions control."

following quote:
"OBD1-OBD2 Engine Swaps into 89-91 Civic/CRX

To install an OBD1-OBD2 engine into your 4th Generation Civic/CRX the following adjustments will need to be made. First, if your car has dual point injection a conversion will need to be made to port injection. All Integra's 1994 and up and Civic's 1992 and up all use hydraulic transmissions. Therefore its not compatible with 4th Gen Civic's because these vehicles have cable transmissions. To complete the swap a B-series cable transmission will need to be used or a cable-hydro transmission conversion will need to be made. The left side bracket needs to be changed to a 1990-1993 Integra bracket.
For the ECU, it is best to use the ECU which belongs with the engine. Several wiring adjustments will need to be made to make the engine run correctly.
For LS-VTEC's, CRVTEC's and other Frankenstein's it is easiest to use the ECU that corresponds to the distributor and head. There are also reprogrammed ECU's which can be considered."

so, i do believe this is not for you, a lot of work required
Old 10-12-2013
Whachya lookin at?

BlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond repute

I'm not trying to give you a hard time but if your a BMW guy why are you driving a civic? Masking a civic with BMW stickers is ... pretty damn lame.
Old 10-14-2013
Registered!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
lowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to behold

your car reminded me of this
[autostream]http://autostream.com/ibcivicforums/?page_type=firebirdplayerthumbnail&framepage=1447& transactionid=1381727467-10720366143&posted_by=_www.civicforums.com&youtube _video_id=CWxgfTMLtc0[/autostream]
Old 10-14-2013
Registered!!

I'm not trying to give you a hard time but if your a BMW guy why are you driving a civic? Masking a civic with BMW stickers is ... pretty damn lame.
r u a f ....IDIOT ?

the car is a sh1tty 1991 Honda DX ...FOUR DOOR. ?? DUHHHHH?

Com'on...don't be an idiot.....BMW's "waste" lozer HONDAs...& if u even HAVE to post this sh1tty assed lame Q...bout a 1991...... HONDA DX ...FOUR-DOOR...with 210,000 kilometers......then u really ARE an IDIOT....

(no offense to ACTUAL ...REAL Honda owners/drivers.)

Jus sayin......

let me re...F'ing....RE -PHRASE.

this... peece o ****..albeit sentimental value (that's ALL) ......is a F...1991 ....HONDa...(there alone, one should say ....."OK, I get it")............Honda ...DX...F.....4 ....F...DOOR.... ?????

Name:  retard.jpg
Size:  3.3 KB

i drive this peec o **** ...to SAVE my F...BEAUTIFUL.......BMW from the Canadian elements. DUHHHHHH.

I'd rather drive the p1ss-into-the-ground OLD Honda-peec-o-****,...than my ....MINT ...Titanium-Silber.....(that's GERMAN) .....BMW E46 cabriolet-stick...thru Canadian WINTERS.....DUHHH???? I've had 3 OTHER ****-box 80's CHEVETTEs that were a step BELOW this ****-box......BUT....

......... My BMW sees NO snow...No rain...nothing. HONDAS ....LOVE the ABUSE..... taht's why the Japs...MADE these sh1tboxes?....Non???

........ DUHHH..... fuuuuuuuuuuu....(sorry,...DO NOT.... mean to OFFEND 4-DOOR ****-box owner honda owners!!.... ( ?? ) ....but.......I LOVE driving my 30-yr...****-winter-beater-mobile .....1991 into the GROUND....that's what they r for?...NON?? ...........)

Last edited by beeemerdude; 10-14-2013 at 02:32 AM.
Old 10-14-2013
PITA Admin
Administrator

did you check my post?

the answer is there in more detail.
and don't get too hot, this is internet after all

(prolly Tom was drunk when he wrote that too :P)
Old 10-15-2013
Whachya lookin at?

Wow that was an intelligent post. Nope, wasn't drunk Sandro. I just don't see why people slap BMW stickers on their cars that clearly aren't BMWs. Does the BMW sticker somehow make the 91 POS car any better? To each their own I guess I just find it kinda lame. Just drive the POS beater that many others drive as a DD and enjoy your BMW. Since your too good to drive a Honda like the rest of us.
Old 10-15-2013
Administrator
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!
Administrator

Received 1,149 Likes on 803 Posts
xRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond repute

Keep it civil or I'll lock the post.

This goes for everyone.
Old 10-15-2013
Whachya lookin at?

I'll play nice. I was just trying to understand the BMW sticker thing
Old 10-17-2013
Registered!!

EM2 Driver is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by beeemerdude
r u a f ....IDIOT ?

the car is a sh1tty 1991 Honda DX ...FOUR DOOR. ?? DUHHHHH?

Com'on...don't be an idiot.....BMW's "waste" lozer HONDAs...& if u even HAVE to post this sh1tty assed lame Q...bout a 1991...... HONDA DX ...FOUR-DOOR...with 210,000 kilometers......then u really ARE an IDIOT....

Jus sayin......

let me re...F'ing....RE -PHRASE.

this... peece o ****..albeit sentimental value (that's ALL) ......is a F...1991 ....HONDa...(there alone, one should say ....."OK, I get it")............Honda ...DX...F.....4 ....F...DOOR.... ?????

i drive this peec o **** ...to SAVE my F...BEAUTIFUL.......BMW from the Canadian elements. DUHHHHHH.

I'd rather drive the p1ss-into-the-ground OLD Honda-peec-o-****,...than my ....MINT ...Titanium-Silber.....(that's GERMAN) .....BMW E46 cabriolet-stick...thru Canadian WINTERS.....DUHHH???? I've had 3 OTHER ****-box 80's CHEVETTEs that were a step BELOW this ****-box......BUT....

......... My BMW sees NO snow...No rain...nothing. HONDAS ....LOVE the ABUSE..... taht's why the Japs...MADE these sh1tboxes?....Non???

........ DUHHH..... fuuuuuuuuuuu....(sorry,...DO NOT.... mean to OFFEND 4-DOOR ****-box owner honda owners!!.... ( ?? ) ....but.......I LOVE driving my 30-yr...****-winter-beater-mobile .....1991 into the GROUND....that's what they r for?...NON?? ...........)
Old 10-18-2013
PITA Admin
Administrator

Originally Posted by beeemerdude

this... peece o ****..albeit sentimental value (that's ALL)
I've had 3 OTHER ****-box 80's CHEVETTEs that were a step BELOW this ****-box......BUT....

(sorry,...DO NOT.... mean to OFFEND 4-DOOR ****-box owner honda owners!!.... ( ?? ) ....but.......I LOVE driving my 30-yr...****-winter-beater-mobile .....1991 into the GROUND....that's what they r for?...NON?? ...........)
Originally Posted by EM2 Driver

the answer is above, me believe he's not really a troll, otherwise he would not have typed what he did above...

he took caution to not to offend other members, made clear that sh*tbox or not he likes the car as is, so no, don't think he is troll. might become for the warm welcome, tho...
cheers!
Old 10-20-2013
Registered!!

DeamonG37S is an unknown quantity at this point

Wow that was an intelligent post. Nope, wasn't drunk Sandro. I just don't see why people slap BMW stickers on their cars that clearly aren't BMWs. Does the BMW sticker somehow make the 91 POS car any better? To each their own I guess I just find it kinda lame. Just drive the POS beater that many others drive as a DD and enjoy your BMW. Since your too good to drive a Honda like the rest of us.
+1 on this. It bugs me when they put an M / AMG badge on a non M or AMG. But this is hilarious. Bahahaha
Old 11-06-2014
Registered!!

reviving my old thread....cuz...I ,...well just love my cheap POS ...it just keeps on going...like the Energizer Bunny. I'm always on the look-out locally for other 91 Civics cuz they are the BEST cheapest, reliable, but boring POS out there to use as winter beaters. Do not mean to flame...cuz I'm REALLY proud of my Civic. srs.

Anybody in the Penticton area (BC) who want to sell their 91 Civic?
Old 07-14-2016
Registered!!

I jus bought an absolute .... TWIN ..... to my winter beater. Same color, etc.....but the A/C...actually works!!! My ********* retract into my groin, maan. Imagine. TWO white/blue EXACT DX's in my driveway. Plan: to go buy some BLUE dingle ***** for Honda #2, so I can tell'em apart.
Old 08-04-2016
Registered!!

5.0Thunder is a jewel in the rough5.0Thunder is a jewel in the rough5.0Thunder is a jewel in the rough5.0Thunder is a jewel in the rough

So I didn't catch it in the beginning of the thread, but you're 16 years old right? Does the BMW let you park in the handicap spaces? That's about the only reason I'd drive one.

I, possibly like you and some others on this forum, am a hard working, well earning individual that is blessed enough to own (me, not the bank) $100k cars but that doesn't mean I would ever talk down on any of these helpful people or what they drive/do. Don't be the elitist ***** that everybody thinks you are. Play nice.

Congrats on the twin.
Old 08-04-2016
Administrator
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!
Administrator

Received 1,149 Likes on 803 Posts
xRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by 5.0Thunder
...but that doesn't mean I would ever talk down on any of these helpful people or what they drive/do. Don't be the elitist ***** that everybody thinks you are. Play nice.
You. I like you.

Saw a bunch of posts pop up from you, and seeing your username, immediately thought, "not another troll on our little Honda forum...."

However, reading your posts, they've been quite colloquial, helpful, and respectful. Thank you, and carry on.
Old 08-05-2016
Registered!!

5.0Thunder is a jewel in the rough5.0Thunder is a jewel in the rough5.0Thunder is a jewel in the rough5.0Thunder is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by xRiCeBoYx
You. I like you.

Saw a bunch of posts pop up from you, and seeing your username, immediately thought, "not another troll on our little Honda forum...."

However, reading your posts, they've been quite colloquial, helpful, and respectful. Thank you, and carry on.

Lol the username is used universally so that I'm not trying to remember a bunch of forum-specific names. I joined this forum specifically because I work on a civic within the family so I understand that it (the forum) will mostly benefit me in the long run with information and support. The least I can do is try to help others wherever my knowledge allows.