7th Generation Civic 2001 - 2005 In the years from 2001 to 2005 Honda released it's 7th Generation Civic.
Chassis codes: EM2, ES1, EP3, EU1
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Timing Belt Job - Day 1

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2012
Registered!!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
mikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of light
Timing Belt Job - Day 1

decided to tackle the timing belt today and replace the following....

- timing belt
- timing belt tensioner
- water pump
- coolant
- thermostat
- 2 drive belts
- spark plugs
- oil and filter
- valve cover gasket
- cam seal
- crank seal

started mid morning, jacked it up and removed the front wheels, removed the splash guard and like most people i broke half of those stupid clips, oh well....

my logic was, if i can not get the crank bolt off, i can not do the job, so why not tackle the beast first?

so i went at it just like that video shows, wedge a beaker bar on the floor to hold the crank, use a long extension to get outside the wheel well and a jack stand to support it there,

then i used a six foot breaker bar, and even with a breaker bar that long it was still difficult, basically putting my entire body weight on it, then i heard a huge LOUD SNAP!! which scared the crap out of me,

i thought for sure i had broke my socket, after i inspected the socket was fine, so i kept turning and a few more loud snaps, went to look again and success! i could now undo the bolt with my hand! left the pulley on for now,

drained the coolant, drained the oil,

removed the power steering pump and sat it on a rag on top of the fender

removed the alternator, and after reading the horror stories about people breaking that little bolt i decided to leave all the wiring connected, so i just sat the alternator basically on top of the rad area,

removed all the wiring from on top of the valve cover and kind of routed it down in front of the head just above the exhaust manifold because the alternator was still connected,

to make things easier (although its not nessessary) i removed the air filter box from the throttle body and entire air intake,

removed the valve cover, then removed the timing belt cover,

re-installed the crank pulley temporarily to turn the crank and line up TDC marks, then i used a permanent marker and made a few marks of my own just to make sure,

supported the engine and removed the motor mount, removed a few other brackets from the engine,

removed the timing belt and tensioner,

next i removed the water pump, make sure you have a big bucket under it when you do this as a huge flood of coolant comes out with it,

mounted the new water pump,

mounted the new tensioner,

replaced the crank and cam seals,

installed the new timing belt, turned the engine a few times with the crank, lined up TDC again and torqued down the tensioner, then called it a day!

i will update tomorrow
Old 09-17-2012
Banished to the Depths of Rice.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
sl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant future
Re: Timing Belt Job - Day 1

Pictures?
Old 09-18-2012
Registered!!

mikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by sl33pyriceboi
Pictures?
tried to upload a few it didnt seem to work....i will try again later....

today i double checked the TDC marks again and installed the timing cover, after that i installed the valve cover with a new gasket and a bit of silicone at the corners like the manual says...

i then installed the air box and air intake, put the wiring back on top of the valve cover and installed new NGK spark plugs...

installed the crank pulley and snugged that bolt down with all my might as tight as i possibly could with the breaker bar,

next i installed the alternator with a new belt and tightened it up, i kinda just went by feel but it was pretty damn tight,

did the same with the power steering pump,

next i changed the thermostat,

after that i closed the drain plugs and installed a new oil filter, then i filled the oil and coolant up,

connected the battery back up, got the keys and cranked her over....success!! she runs perfect!....good for another 100,000 miles i hope!

all in all, a pretty easy job as long as you have the proper tools and a good mechanical background/experience....
Old 09-18-2012

sl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant future

Common man, don't you know half the ppl here are illerate and need pictures? :P
Old 09-18-2012
Registered!!

second try....okay think it worked, lol
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	car1.jpg
Views:	139
Size:	56.7 KB
ID:	84037   Click image for larger version

Name:	car2.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	59.8 KB
ID:	84038  
Old 09-26-2012
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
msmakman is an unknown quantity at this point

Can anyone tell me happens if a timing belt breaks? I have a 2002 Civic with 75,000 miles. Does the car just stop? Or does it result in more (expensive) damage? Thanks!
Old 09-26-2012

Originally Posted by msmakman
Can anyone tell me happens if a timing belt breaks? I have a 2002 Civic with 75,000 miles. Does the car just stop? Or does it result in more (expensive) damage? Thanks!
if your timing belt snaps/breaks while your engine is running, you will pretty much NEED a new engine. If the belt breaks then the crankshaft along with the piston and rod assembly will still move but the valves will be still. This can cause the piston to collide with the valves which can cause damage to the pistons, valves, and the entire head in some cases
Old 09-26-2012
Registered!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
lowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to behold

lol ''illerate''
Old 09-28-2012
Registered!!

Originally Posted by msmakman
Does the car just stop? Or does it result in more (expensive) damage? Thanks!
BOTH!!!

like "sl33pyriceboi" said, you will pretty much need a new engine if it ever breaks, it is one of the most important parts on your engine and it should never be neglected,

if yours has never been changed then you are well overdue, it is a ticking time bomb waiting to explode!