7th Generation Civic 2001 - 2005 In the years from 2001 to 2005 Honda released it's 7th Generation Civic.
Chassis codes: EM2, ES1, EP3, EU1
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

So Long Civic

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2012
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
thecheat is an unknown quantity at this point
So Long Civic

Its been a good run but after 11 years, one engine rebuild, 180k miles, and more fun than I ever imagined when I picked her up, my time with my beloved Vicky has come to an end. A need for more space, a desire for more power, and the increasingly shitty attitude of our local Honda dealer has sent into the arms of the enemy, a MK6 GTi 5 door. This forum has been a great source of info for me over the years, so thanks to all you guys for being so helpful.

In case anyone is curious, here are my observations about the differences between the two cars. The GTi is obviously much more powerful but it isn't as responsive. The Civic had a much easier to modulate throttle, especially at the limits of traction. The GTi is a lot more planted at speed but it isn't nearly as agile as the Civic, that might change if I start playing with sway bars and alignment. The Civic had great pedal layout for heel and toe with my toe on the brake and blipping the throttle with my heel. In the GTi I have to do it the other way, heel on the brake and toe on the throttle, I'm having a hard time adapting. The Civic got 32mpg if I drove the **** out of it and 40 if I sat at 68mph on the highway for long trips. Never saw any better or worse than those numbers in all the years i had it. The GTi is really sensitive to driver behavior, rev too much or lug it too much and the milage really suffers, like 18 to 20 mpg. Keep it in the sweet middle of the torque curve and it gets 33-34. haven't been able to do that on the highway yet though, I keep catching myself ripping along at 90. The GTi has a way nicer interior, its just better. The feel of the Civic's shifter is better, it just is. In a canyon race between the two, the GTi would rule in the fast stuff but the Civic might just be quicker on tight roads where power isnt such an issue.

Last thing, I cold drive the civic all day and never have anyone rev on me at a light or suspect I was gonna be a contender on a canyon road, great stealth factor. The GTi, not so much. Every mustang, eclipse, wrx, 240 and scion I have seen in the last week has wanted to play. Might have to de-badge this thing just to avoid the hassle.
Old 07-08-2012
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
Re: So Long Civic

nice upgrade, i agree with those things the civic does really well. you dont appreciate them until you drive other cars.
Old 07-09-2012
Banished to the Depths of Rice.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
sl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant future

Pics of the enemy!?
Old 07-10-2012
PITA Admin
Administrator

Received 1,443 Likes on 1,198 Posts
sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by thecheat
In the GTi I have to do it the other way, heel on the brake and toe on the throttle, I'm having a hard time adapting.
?!? Weird... thoughts on using some type of pedal extender?