7th Generation Civic 2001 - 2005 In the years from 2001 to 2005 Honda released it's 7th Generation Civic.
Chassis codes: EM2, ES1, EP3, EU1
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Unreliable Fuel Gauge

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2012
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Corbdt is an unknown quantity at this point
Unreliable Fuel Gauge

Anyone ever experience this? I have a 2004 Civic Sedan EX that I've only owned for about 2 months. The gas gauge is sometimes very lazy in responding to my filling up the tank. Sometimes it works just fine and I can watch it rising as I'm filling up. At other times, I fill up, and the gauge remains on empty, and it may take several hours for the gauge to respond to being full, and reflect it with the needle. This is frustrating. I have also wandered at times when filling up, if the tank is not really full when it forces the gas pump to shut off, because I can tell by the gallons filled, that the tank should not be full. Do I have a problem with the fuel sending unit?
Old 03-07-2012
Sedans > Coupes

Brian1037 is a jewel in the roughBrian1037 is a jewel in the roughBrian1037 is a jewel in the rough
Re: Unreliable Fuel Gauge

My fuel gauge isn't that accurate either, but it's no where near as bad as yours. When I fill my tank up, the needle is up to the top. Then it stays there for about 100 km, then drops to about 75% of the way, then slowly goes down to 50%, and hovers there for a while. Then it drops to 25%, then drops to empty, and the light goes on, when in reality I have 10 litres left in the tank.
Old 03-07-2012
CO&CA

TFMEX is a jewel in the roughTFMEX is a jewel in the roughTFMEX is a jewel in the rough

I have the same issue. It actually happened about 20 mins ago. I had 1/4 of a tank.... dropped to empty and the light went on. Slowly made its way back to just under a 1/4 of a tank.... light went off.

Not sure what to do either... I go by mileage too so its not a big deal.
Old 03-07-2012
Registered!!

Corbdt is an unknown quantity at this point

No one has gotten this checked-out before? I have an appt for this Friday. Will be sure to post afterwards, when I find out the problem, and solution.
Old 03-07-2012
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Part of what some of you are seeing is the anti-slosh strategy. You aren't supposed to fill the tank with the key on or the engine running, it will take a really long time to update the gauge.

The other part (intermittently dropping to empty) sounds like bad sending units.
Old 03-07-2012
Banished to the Depths of Rice.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
sl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant future

just go by the trip.

i know my car gets about 380 before the light comes on so i usually pour around 350.
Old 03-07-2012
Registered!!

Artificial has a spectacular aura aboutArtificial has a spectacular aura aboutArtificial has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by TFMEX
I have the same issue. It actually happened about 20 mins ago. I had 1/4 of a tank.... dropped to empty and the light went on. Slowly made its way back to just under a 1/4 of a tank.... light went off.
This happens to mine occasionally. It used to do it pretty much every tank, but now probably ever 4 or 5 tanks it happens.
Old 03-08-2012
Girls twist wrenches too...

Roxie is a jewel in the roughRoxie is a jewel in the roughRoxie is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by Brian1037
My fuel gauge isn't that accurate either, but it's no where near as bad as yours. When I fill my tank up, the needle is up to the top. Then it stays there for about 100 km, then drops to about 75% of the way, then slowly goes down to 50%, and hovers there for a while. Then it drops to 25%, then drops to empty, and the light goes on, when in reality I have 10 litres left in the tank.
Mine has does the same thing since I got it about 7 months ago. Meh, it's just something I've gotten used to. I find it funny that my light comes on, and I can drive around for almost 60 miles and my engine doesn't even sputter. Then after 80 miles, it might sputter once. I've had it sputter a decent amount once when coming home from a desert party, but it kept going for about 30 miles after that. I just don't trust it and go by mileage. I think it has to do with the sensors. Wish I knew if they were this way brand new.
Old 03-08-2012
Registered!!

jono237 is an unknown quantity at this point

this is a known issue and honda issued a recall on faulty guages its actualy the guage in the dash not reading correctly however it is now out of warrenty and good luck getting honda to cover it the only way to fix it is to get a new guage it has to do with the company that manufactured them i believe the replacement one are made by a new company all together ill post the tsb if i can find it.

https://www.civicforums.com/forums/a...7&d=1296455079
Old 03-08-2012
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jono237
this is a known issue and honda issued a recall on faulty guages its actualy the guage in the dash not reading correctly however it is now out of warrenty and good luck getting honda to cover it the only way to fix it is to get a new guage it has to do with the company that manufactured them i believe the replacement one are made by a new company all together ill post the tsb if i can find it.

https://www.civicforums.com/forums/a...7&d=1296455079
Ooh, that's almost correct. There is no recall, but there IS the TSB.

I replied earlier without even looking for TSBs....My bad.
Old 03-08-2012
Banished to the Depths of Rice.

sl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant future

Eh I can live with it
Old 03-08-2012
Registered!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light

Mine is a bit laggy as well. But it certainly doesnt take an hour to read full. Sometimes my gas light will come on and after a few minutes of driving it goes off.

My girlfriend asks about it and I tell her its a special hybrid and makes its own gas.
Old 03-08-2012
Registered!!

lovin the ej1 is an unknown quantity at this point

my fuel gauge goes wacko around 1/4 tank and fuel light comes on at 1/4 tank instead of E
Old 03-19-2012
Registered!!

gklayton is an unknown quantity at this point

I just got my 03 Ex a week ago and I thought I was burning through a lot of fuel (when I drove about 100km it dropped to 3/4 from full) but when I looked at the mileage I did I just didn't realize it stayed on full for a long time and then dropped to 3/4 suddenly.
Old 03-22-2012
Registered!!

DarkSouljur has a spectacular aura aboutDarkSouljur has a spectacular aura about

I usually get 500-600 km per tank so i go by that. It depends how i drive. Also dont fill thr tank with the car on. Mimes always off when i fill, ive never had ur problem. My car usually gets to half after 200km and from half to empty its another 300 km
Old 03-23-2012
Registered!!

em2maxamillian is an unknown quantity at this point

Eh, my fuel gauge has its odd tendencies too. Particularly when it goes below 1/4 tank. When I first start the car, it shows 1/8 full, but as I drive (maybe for about 5 minutes) it drops to the point the warning light comes on. About 10 minutes after that, it climbs a bit and the light goes off. Other than that it works fine. Sounds like your situation deals with something faulty in the sending unit. Run the gauge diagnostics to make sure the gauge itself works well.

As far as filling the car goes, I must agree with you. Each time I fill up, the nozzle clicks off WAY before the tanks is actually full. I can stand there and feed more gas in slowly, almost 2-3 more gallons. I usually fill it to somewhere around 11 to 11.5 gallons as I run my car until the warning light comes on.
Old 10-01-2012
Registered!!

CubFan is an unknown quantity at this point

Just called the dealer and the replacement gauge cluster runs $871.71. Labor $104/1 hr. Out of warranty and since I'm the second owner I don't qualify for the "goodwill consideration by the District Parts and Service Manager or Zone Office". Need to be the original owner. $871 for the instrument cluster. What a crock!
Old 10-02-2012
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

go on ebay and find one with similar mileage for $100 and plug it in yourself. takes 10 minutes if that. but more than likely the fuel sending unit is the problem, not the gauges.
Old 10-02-2012
I am Epic

Civicnoobie should not be trustedCivicnoobie should not be trustedCivicnoobie should not be trustedCivicnoobie should not be trusted

Originally Posted by DarkSouljur
I usually get 500-600 km per tank so i go by that. It depends how i drive. Also dont fill thr tank with the car on. Mimes always off when i fill, ive never had ur problem. My car usually gets to half after 200km and from half to empty its another 300 km
Can i ask why its bad to fill the gas with the car running?
Old 10-02-2012
"Come to terms with your slow *** whip"

rjones7755 is a jewel in the roughrjones7755 is a jewel in the roughrjones7755 is a jewel in the roughrjones7755 is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by CubFan
Just called the dealer and the replacement gauge cluster runs $871.71. Labor $104/1 hr. Out of warranty and since I'm the second owner I don't qualify for the "goodwill consideration by the District Parts and Service Manager or Zone Office". Need to be the original owner. $871 for the instrument cluster. What a crock!
Theres a TSB somewhere for the fuel guage. Some dealers will replace it for free some wont. The "original owner" stuff sounds like a load of BS. Its just a matter of finding a good dealer and building relationships.

Last edited by rjones7755; 10-02-2012 at 12:55 AM.
Old 10-02-2012
Registered!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light

Its possible to throw an evap code.

Also it increases the chances of causing a fire with heat from the car. (Chances are slim to none, but why risk it)

Save yourself the fuel.

Also the sign usualy says it, can you really argue what the sign says lol
Old 10-10-2012
PITA Admin
Administrator

Received 1,442 Likes on 1,198 Posts
sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Civicnoobie
Can i ask why its bad to fill the gas with the car running?
WTF?!?!?!?!?!?!?
bwaaaaaahahahahaha!