7th Generation Civic 2001 - 2005 In the years from 2001 to 2005 Honda released it's 7th Generation Civic.
Chassis codes: EM2, ES1, EP3, EU1
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

My tranny is all granny.

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2012
A scene before your eyes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Balzdpr is on a distinguished road
My tranny is all granny.

When ever i drive my car in the rain I can feel the roughest vibrations and clunking in the gear box straight up into the shift ****. In fact It sounds and feels like the old bitch is going to snap off and fall to the ground. I was first under the impression that the exhaust piping was rattling and banging into the gear box but hey that thing is no where near there. So what the hell is going on? Its weird it only occures when the roads are full of water and rainy outside. But I **** you not when I get on the gas that ****ing stick bounces around like civicnoobies interest in his car. I shook the exhaust piping a whole lot one day when I was under the damn thing changing the oil last and pretty much determined that wasnt the problem. So what could it be?
Old 02-02-2012
Trance Addict

MelJ is a glorious beacon of lightMelJ is a glorious beacon of lightMelJ is a glorious beacon of lightMelJ is a glorious beacon of lightMelJ is a glorious beacon of light
Re: My tranny is all granny.

Have you considered the tranny mounts might be shot? I know some cars have pretty wonky shifters stock, but Hondas definitely have tight linkage. Ezone tends to have good info as he's in the field. It just sounds odd that it would only do this in wet weather...
Old 02-02-2012
Registered!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
lowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to behold

interesting because my granny looks like a tranny. but seriously if its only in the rain its definitely probably your exhaust you can't really recreate what happens down there in the rain weird stuff happens and those vibrations travel all over the place.
Old 02-02-2012
Remebers the old days
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
CrewChief is a glorious beacon of lightCrewChief is a glorious beacon of lightCrewChief is a glorious beacon of lightCrewChief is a glorious beacon of lightCrewChief is a glorious beacon of lightCrewChief is a glorious beacon of light

Ok I'll take a shot. Your shifter is a cable shift to it is independant from the actually tranny. If the stick is moving then there is enough movement of the motor and tranny to move the cables and tranfer that movement to the shifter. next time it rains put your bare feet on the floor. If you can feel banging on your feet its not the motor its the exhaust mounts getting wet and sliding and moving. If not and you only feel the movement in your shifter then your motor mounts are shot and when it is wet the rubber is sliding around in the broken mount.

The only other thing it could be and its reaching is you have a torn axle boot and when is rains is could be getting water in it and throwing off the ballance....but you would feel that in the steering wheel as well.
Old 02-03-2012
A scene before your eyes

Originally Posted by CrewChief
Ok I'll take a shot. Your shifter is a cable shift to it is independant from the actually tranny. If the stick is moving then there is enough movement of the motor and tranny to move the cables and tranfer that movement to the shifter. next time it rains put your bare feet on the floor. If you can feel banging on your feet its not the motor its the exhaust mounts getting wet and sliding and moving. If not and you only feel the movement in your shifter then your motor mounts are shot and when it is wet the rubber is sliding around in the broken mount.

The only other thing it could be and its reaching is you have a torn axle boot and when is rains is could be getting water in it and throwing off the ballance....but you would feel that in the steering wheel as well.
Ahh yes. I belive it may be the exhaust as I have noticed some vibration in the floor or in the pedal a little. But it slipped my memory to bring that up. The shaking and vibration in the stick and center part of the body or the well is seriously the most prevelant issue when it occures. It is hugely scary. In fact I always used to hear the stories of when "some guy" would be yanking his truck around and drop his tranny, well the vibrations make me feel as though the thing is literaly going to drop rite the hell out and land on the ground. And yes, I know its over to the right of the motor lol. But hell that sensation is pretty f-ing exasperating. Im going to go with the exhaust mounts as the culprit for now. With that said what should I check and where? Or should I just have someone look at it? And when you say the exhaust mounts are you refering to the hangers or the mounting between the heeder and the exhaust pipe?
Old 02-03-2012
Remebers the old days
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
CrewChief is a glorious beacon of lightCrewChief is a glorious beacon of lightCrewChief is a glorious beacon of lightCrewChief is a glorious beacon of lightCrewChief is a glorious beacon of lightCrewChief is a glorious beacon of light

the hangers. Being rubber when they get wet they tend to move around alot on the metal post they are hanging from. Now if the exhaust was moving enough to hit the bottom of the car you would hear the banging under your butt. I had the same issue and I could not only hear it but feel in under my ***.

Here is one other way to narrow the problem down. Next time is rains have someone get in the car and in park Nutruel (spelling) have them rev the car up fast and let off the gas. When they do that you watch under the hood and see if your motor is flopping around. A little front to back movement is fine but there should be no side to side or twisting. Also watch the shift cables (located on the left of the motor mounted to the top of the rear left side of the tranny as looking at it from the front. They will be the 2 turnbucle style cables mounted one verticle and one horizontle. See if they are moving around as well. If no....then it is deff the exhaust.
Old 02-07-2012
A scene before your eyes

Will do.