7th Generation Civic 2001 - 2005 In the years from 2001 to 2005 Honda released it's 7th Generation Civic.
Chassis codes: EM2, ES1, EP3, EU1
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Help!! Possible Head Gasket??

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2012
howzer05

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Howzer05 is an unknown quantity at this point
Exclamation Help!! Possible Head Gasket??

All right here is my problem, I drive a 2005 civic EX, it's been lossing coolant from the the engine, It flows in to the overflow reservoir then shoots out of the weep holes on top i think it may be a blown head gasket but everbody i talk to say no it can't be because i have had this problem for 2 years now. i don't want to rip the head off unless i have good enough evidence to do so. It runs like a champ. It does not miss, it don't smoke or steam out the exaust pipe, It's not mixing oil and water, it did have a CEL but the only code it was throwing was a bad o2 senser i changed it and has not been on since. Everthing dealing with the cooling system has either been changed or works just fine. All pressure test show nothing, All chemical test show nothing.I have been fighting this problem for a long time and Any kind of advise would greatly be appreciated.
Old 01-02-2012
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
pwnsauce is a jewel in the roughpwnsauce is a jewel in the roughpwnsauce is a jewel in the roughpwnsauce is a jewel in the rough
Re: Help!! Possible Head Gasket??

change your radiator cap first.

if that doesn't work its probably your thermostat.
Old 01-02-2012
howzer05

Howzer05 is an unknown quantity at this point

both have been changed
Old 01-02-2012
Registered!!

SpdySylvrEX will become famous soon enough

My 01 was doing the same exact thing after a turbo install. The mechanic did all those tests and couldn't find anything either. I finally replaced the HG and upgraded to a bigger 2 core radiator (remember I am turbo'd so you don't need to upgrade your rad). Problem solved...
Old 01-02-2012
PITA Admin
Administrator

Received 1,444 Likes on 1,199 Posts
sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

except for the cel and the coolant shooting out (mine had loss of coolant) nothing else did show a blown gasket.
bit the bullet since it was time and no more issues.
Old 01-03-2012
A true genius admits that he/she knows nothing.....CLOSED SAT/SUN

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Gunner is a name known to allGunner is a name known to allGunner is a name known to allGunner is a name known to allGunner is a name known to allGunner is a name known to allGunner is a name known to allGunner is a name known to allGunner is a name known to all

Check for air in the system? bubbles in the coolant?
Old 01-03-2012
Registered!!

Originally Posted by Gunner
Check for air in the system? bubbles in the coolant?
A Blown Head gasket will have these symptons as well....
Old 01-03-2012

Gunner is a name known to allGunner is a name known to allGunner is a name known to allGunner is a name known to allGunner is a name known to allGunner is a name known to allGunner is a name known to allGunner is a name known to allGunner is a name known to all

aye but you can try to bleed the air out of the system, trying to eliminate the little things first.
Old 01-03-2012
Registered!!

Originally Posted by Gunner
aye but you can try to bleed the air out of the system, trying to eliminate the little things first.
Alright then, do you know how to do this Howzer05?

This is what I do for my car, figured out by trial and error...
jack up the front of the car (you want the radiator cap at the highest point of the vehicle),

Turn your heat selector to all the way hot(The air does not have to be on).

Make sure the engine is cold, opening a hot radiator WILL BLOW YOUR HG and possibly warp your head.

Open your radiator cap and then start your car. let the fans come on, (2x). this will ensure that the car is at operating temp.

Watch for bubbles in the system. If you see any thing that might be oil or carbon, your HG is probably shot.
Carbon will look like black powder floating in the water.
Oil will look like a Wendy's Frosty, chocolate milk, or creamed coffee.

While the car is warming up, squeeze the lower radiator hose a few times to force the air up and out.

As the level drops, add coolant, you don't want the car over heating in this process.

Once the car is warm, you may still see bubbles come up and the level drop.

Once it is warm, rev the car to about 3000 rpm for about 2-3 seconds, yes coolant will overflow but it's just getting more air out. Once you have done this step, top it off, and let it idle for about another 10-15 min. just to make sure the air is out. If after 15 mins, you are still getting air bubbles, then you probably have a blown HG....

If there are no more air bubble in that 15 min time span, then all the air is out and you can put you cap back on and fill your reservoir to about 3/4.

But keep an eye on it. drive it around and check it every morning before you start it. if it is still dropping after a couple days, you probably have a blown HG....

Most important...NEVER OPEN THE CAP WHILE THE CAR IS HOT!!!
Old 01-04-2012

^ good write up this is one way to do it..some people just leave the cap loose but then you can't check for bubbles...try it and let us know how it goes.