7th Generation Civic 2001 - 2005 In the years from 2001 to 2005 Honda released it's 7th Generation Civic.
Chassis codes: EM2, ES1, EP3, EU1
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Crazy dealer price for Fog Lights?

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2011
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
DH757 is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Crazy dealer price for Fog Lights?

I called my local Honda Dealer and requested a quote to get yellow fog lights installed on my EM2.

They quoted me at $581, is that right for a dealer installation?

Please let me know, thanks.
Old 10-04-2011
Banished to the Depths of Rice.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
sl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant future
Re: Crazy dealer price for Fog Lights?

sounds about right. they're OEM fogs which cost nearly $300 and the labor it takes to install them.
Old 10-04-2011
Registered!!

Artificial has a spectacular aura aboutArtificial has a spectacular aura aboutArtificial has a spectacular aura about

Or pay $50 and an hour of your time for a pair of ebay ones
Old 10-04-2011
Person

lollygagger has a spectacular aura aboutlollygagger has a spectacular aura about

Yeah, that and it takes some modification and figuring out to DIYem
Old 10-04-2011
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

oem fogs are needlessly complicated in the wiring aspect. tons of the car (inside and out) needs to be taken apart, as well as cutting the bumper. most of the labor is running the wiring. $500 is about right for the parts and labor. but to be honest, aside from looks, they serve no purpose.
Old 10-04-2011
Registered!!

pwnsauce is a jewel in the roughpwnsauce is a jewel in the roughpwnsauce is a jewel in the roughpwnsauce is a jewel in the rough

buy a pair from spyder or some after market ones and do it your self...its extremely easy
Old 10-04-2011
Registered!!

exturbo6 has a brilliant futureexturbo6 has a brilliant futureexturbo6 has a brilliant futureexturbo6 has a brilliant futureexturbo6 has a brilliant futureexturbo6 has a brilliant futureexturbo6 has a brilliant futureexturbo6 has a brilliant futureexturbo6 has a brilliant futureexturbo6 has a brilliant futureexturbo6 has a brilliant future

it is extremely easy to do the install of the fog lights yourself. i would never pay someone 500 bucks to do when it takes you a hour or 2. go to ebay and buy them for 30 bucks, and call it a day. they do also serve a purpose, after i installed mine, i notice a nice difference in what was lite up. and the wiring is not at all complicated.
Old 10-04-2011
Registered!!

pwnsauce is a jewel in the roughpwnsauce is a jewel in the roughpwnsauce is a jewel in the roughpwnsauce is a jewel in the rough

ive got to re-wire mine because the ones i have now (4caroption) brand the fog light housings melted and the bulb fell out melting through the harness and my brand new bumper...go with the spyder brand like these

http://www.k2motor.com/04-05-honda-c...hts-smoke.html

i might do a diy on it...i havent seen one yet
Old 10-04-2011
Registered!!

random will become famous soon enoughrandom will become famous soon enough
yellow fog lights (was Re: Crazy dealer price for Fog Lights?)

Originally Posted by DH757
I called my local Honda Dealer and requested a quote to get yellow fog lights installed on my EM2.
Why do you want yellow fog lights?
Old 10-04-2011

sl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant future
Re: yellow fog lights (was Re: Crazy dealer price for Fog Lights?)

Originally Posted by random
Why do you want yellow fog lights?
yellow light is more visible in foggy conditions.
Old 10-04-2011
Premium Member

gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

here is a good piece on fogs and their purpose, written by a well known lighting consultant. he has worked with the nhtsa in forming recommendations and laws for lighting in the USA.

http://danielsternlighting.com/tech/...fog_lamps.html
Old 10-04-2011
Sedans > Coupes

Brian1037 is a jewel in the roughBrian1037 is a jewel in the roughBrian1037 is a jewel in the rough

I got my fogs only for show because I love yellow on black. It was much harder than it was made out to be since there were no instructions, and it was aftermarket ones. Took a good 2 hours to cut the bumper properly and get them mounted then another day to wire them. The cheap relay then blew and I had to cut it out and wire a new one in. During that process, the switch blew (my fault, I accidentally touched two live wires on a metal part and sparks flew) so I had to take it apart and resolder the blown connection. Including repairs, I probably spent about 20 hours on them but now they work fine. They do in fact help illuminate the road at night but only on the sides as fogs should do. I say buy after market ones and do it yourself. You can wire them into the cars lights so that they can only be on when the parking or night lights are on, or into the cigarette lighter so that you have independent control of them.
Old 10-04-2011
Person

lollygagger has a spectacular aura aboutlollygagger has a spectacular aura about

Good read^ I agree in that I never really saw a difference aside from a slight bit of light thrown out towards the sides and before the headlamp beam. And it never truly helped in the rain or fog here.
Old 10-04-2011
Registered!!

Originally Posted by sl33pyriceboi
yellow light is more visible in foggy conditions.
Visibility (of the car by oncoming traffic) is not the purpose of front fog lights. But it's okay if this is your reason for wanting yellow fog lights... then it's down to personal whim.
Old 10-04-2011
Registered!!

after installing mine i noticed better visibility (of the road) in heavy rain and more light to the sides of the car which was nice...PLUS i loved to look it gave my car. red 2004 with smoked fogs and black housing headlights
Old 10-04-2011
Registered!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
lazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud of

Visibility (of the car by oncoming traffic) is not the purpose of front fog lights. But it's okay if this is your reason for wanting yellow fog lights... then it's down to personal whim.
I think he meant better visibility.
Old 10-05-2011

i should have made my statement clearer.

i was talking about the forground visibility that the light output puts out.

same as gearbox's link.
Old 10-05-2011
Registered!!

i should have made my statement clearer.

i was talking about the forground visibility that the light output puts out.

same as gearbox's link.
There's no evidence that (selective) yellow light gives you better road visibility than white light. This might be down to personal preference, like how some people might find it easier to view yellow light instead of white.
Old 10-05-2011

Our eyes interact with yellow light much different than it does with blue white (whether you feel like it or not. That's just the human properties of ur optical system)

So, why do yellow fog lamps seem to work better? It's because of the way the human eye interacts with different colors of light. Blue and violet are very difficult for the human optical system to process correctly. They are the shortest visible wavelengths and tend to focus in front of our eyes' retinae, rather than upon it. To demonstrate this to yourself, find a dark blue store front sign or something else that's a dark, pure blue against a dark background in the absence of white light%u2014from any appreciable distance, it's almost impossible for your eyes to see the blue lighted object as a sharply defined form;the edges blur significantly. Deep blue runway lights exhibit the same effect; check it out the next time you land at night.
http://www.danielsternlighting.com/t...ght_color.html

Go look at the research on there as well

Last edited by sl33pyriceboi; 10-05-2011 at 01:00 PM.
Old 10-05-2011

Here read MOOOAR and edchumakayshon yourself. It's a good read

http://www.lightingresearch.org/prog...01-01-0320.pdf
Old 10-05-2011
Registered!!

These are fantastic reads. Consider me slightly more edumacated. Thanks!
Old 10-05-2011

These are fantastic reads. Consider me slightly more edumacated. Thanks!
kuddos! +1 rep
Old 10-05-2011
Premium Member

yellow lights would be ideal for visibility, but the yellow coating robs quite a bit of light that the clear bulb would have. so it becomes a debate over how much light is lost and if there is any overall improvement. now if the yellow light was somehow as bright as the white light (same lumens) no question the yellow is better for humans to drive with since we perceive that visible color to be the brightest. before anyone says get a 3000k hid kit and problem solved, no that will not work. hids are too bright for fogs, and the optical properties of hid light are completely different (low CRI, different spectrum output, not a true blackbody radiator like halogen). our eyes like halogen light, not only the yellowish color but also the actual spectrum output.