7th Generation Civic 2001 - 2005 In the years from 2001 to 2005 Honda released it's 7th Generation Civic.
Chassis codes: EM2, ES1, EP3, EU1
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Halo projector... good or bullshit?

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2011
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Halo projector... good or bullshit?

tyc retro is prolly the hardest ive done to be honest. lots of custom fab work for the mounting and aiming system completely from scratch. same with the harness. but end result well worth it including having lows and highs together is really nice.
Old 08-11-2011
:3

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Crescent is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by DarkSouljur
HID Kit's are all plug and play.

If you want an HID kit in your TYC Projectors you're going to have to retrofit the headlights which means not only taking apart the headlight assembly, but modifying it so that a projector will fit (cutting, etc.) www.theretrofitsource.com is where you're going to find projectors, and the prices range from like $120+ for a pair (depending on which ones you get). You don't need an HID kit for your highbeams, but when you wire your headlights you're going to want to keep the lowbeams on at all times, even when you use your highbeam on or you'll wear out the HIDs alot quicker.

I didn't go with the TYC retrofit because of the modifying, i figured it would be too much work and i didn't want to risk messing anything up. If you retrofit your stock housing you can get the Morimoto Mini Bi-Xenon projectors. They're H1 bulbs, have a high and a low beam function, and best of all ... they're PnP in your stock headlights, no modifying necessary!

As for getting the TYC's without the HID you'd be better off keeping your stock headlights, you'll get more light out of them.
ok that makes alot more sense :| i might just keep mine, but why would you put H1 bulbs in them? i can get a HID kit 120$ here at the local dealer, and they are H4 hi/lo in one and PnP :O also how did you install the angel eye? :P im curious about them.

maybe later on i will try to install those tyc but i dont have half the time for all that customisation of the housing and stuff :P since i dont have a second car i cant just leave mine in the garage, you know i gotta work :O :P
Old 08-11-2011
Registered!!

DarkSouljur has a spectacular aura aboutDarkSouljur has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by Crescent
ok that makes alot more sense :| i might just keep mine, but why would you put H1 bulbs in them? i can get a HID kit 120$ here at the local dealer, and they are H4 hi/lo in one and PnP :O also how did you install the angel eye? :P im curious about them.

maybe later on i will try to install those tyc but i dont have half the time for all that customisation of the housing and stuff :P since i dont have a second car i cant just leave mine in the garage, you know i gotta work :O :P
Because the morimoto's were designed to use an H1 bulb. There is a little shield in the projector that blocks off light and thats how you get the lowbeam, but when the highbeam is flicked on the shield drops so that more light is shown.

Here's a picture explaining it:

Don't bother going to get HID's from that local place, you can get a pair of morimoto mini's for $120 and you won't be pulled over by a cop for having them.

The angel eyes you buy seperately. I bought the CCFL tube (70mm) and put it on the shroud (the thing that surrounds the projector, basically just to make it look cooler). Then i tied the halo in place with fishing wire, that way you can't see it. Other people (like riceboy) have used double sided tape to hold it in place, and i've heard of people using like silicone or some sort of glue, but i wouldn't recommend doing that because the halos can get quite hot and will melt the glue.

Here's a shroud with a projector and halo's:

You can see the halos tied the the shroud with wire (fishing wire is best because it's clear).
Old 08-11-2011

This is starting to become pretty complicated O_O for someone who had no clue what a projector was like 3 days ago XD

what if i buy those housing + the H4 hid kit that come with em?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/01-02...ht_5556wt_1165

the housing has led's in them and they are simalar to the stock ones, cause i dont really consider doing so much work for my headlights at the moment :| maybe next summer.

and could someone let me know if those headlights are any good :O ive seen them on a civic down town, they are pretty sexy :P

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/HONDA...Q5fAccessories
Old 08-11-2011
Registered!!

SpeedDownZone is a jewel in the roughSpeedDownZone is a jewel in the roughSpeedDownZone is a jewel in the roughSpeedDownZone is a jewel in the rough

Its not that complicated to do actually. There is a couple of DIY on the lighting section here and hidplanet.com is a good place to learn about this stuff. I did not know jack until i went there and a couple of hours later i was on the right road. The morimotos minis are kind of plug and play except you got to open your headlight and that is not to hard to do. Dont be a ricer and put hid on stock housing.

Oh and speaking about ricer does tail light are just that. But if thats what floats your boat than by all mean go ahead ill just have my camera ready.
Old 08-12-2011
Pistol grip pump in my lap at all times

mr22508 is a jewel in the roughmr22508 is a jewel in the roughmr22508 is a jewel in the rough

I bought some cheap Halos from Ebay, resiliconed the housing to the lens plate and they work great. Like everone else says, the light output isnt the greatest, but they sure do look nice!
Name:  014.jpg
Views: 302
Size:  189.0 KB
Name:  halos-1.jpg
Views: 331
Size:  40.0 KB
Old 08-12-2011

wow i gotta say that these headlights looks nice :O can you put an hid kit in them? and what bulb do they require?
Old 08-12-2011

mr22508 is a jewel in the roughmr22508 is a jewel in the roughmr22508 is a jewel in the rough

wow i gotta say that these headlights looks nice :O can you put an hid kit in them? and what bulb do they require?
They came with h4 bulbs. I havent even tried to put an HID kit on em. Im sure they would work.
Old 08-12-2011

did you change the projectors in them? :O if so which one did you buy? :P
Old 08-12-2011

did you change the projectors in them? :O if so which one did you buy? :P
No change. I just popped in some silverstar ultrawhite bulbs and mounted to my car!
Old 08-12-2011

could you show us a picture of the light output? aiming on a wall and aiming on the road or open field?
Old 08-12-2011

Sure. Ill do it tonight when I get home and post around 9 or 10 MST.
Old 08-12-2011

okay thanks
Old 08-12-2011

Heres one of the Running lights. It isnt quiet dark enough here yet for me to get a pic of headlights.
Name:  1a.jpg
Views: 309
Size:  19.3 KB

Last edited by mr22508; 08-12-2011 at 07:44 PM.
Old 08-12-2011

thats pretty hot :O how long have you had them? heard the halo life span is pretty low :P and are you gona get a pic when it gets darker?
Old 08-12-2011

Here you go man! Ive had these particular halos for about 2 years. Never given me a problem. I did some minor lens adjusting on the projectors, but thats it, raised the cut off a touch. These are taken about ten feet away from the wall.
Name:  IMAG0175.jpg
Views: 306
Size:  139.4 KB
Name:  IMAG0176.jpg
Views: 307
Size:  89.7 KB
Name:  IMAG0177.jpg
Views: 300
Size:  103.8 KB
Name:  IMAG0180.jpg
Views: 300
Size:  40.9 KB
Old 08-12-2011

its actually plenty of light :O, how do they work? h3 for lo and h1 for hi?
Old 08-12-2011

No.when you turn your hi beams on there is a secondary bulb in the second open housing unit with a halo around it that comes on and shines light everywhere.
Old 08-12-2011

thats what i meant XD, they are 2 seperate bulbs :P those hi beams are H1 and the lo beams are h3? :P
Old 08-13-2011
Premium Member

gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

that beam pattern actually isnt bad. i would lower the passenger side a bit so it lines up with the driver side, but its personal preference and some people like the right side a bit higher.
Old 08-13-2011

Originally Posted by gearbox
that beam pattern actually isnt bad. i would lower the passenger side a bit so it lines up with the driver side, but its personal preference and some people like the right side a bit higher.
Yeah i thought myself it wasnt too bad for stock projectors :O!
Old 08-13-2011
Premium Member

it sure beats the tyc beam and the other sonar ones. do you have output shots on the road?
Old 08-13-2011

I think the highs are h4. Im pretty sure. And no I do not have some on the road output, but I will be sure to get some tomorrow night!
Old 08-13-2011
Registered!!

magicpotatoes is an unknown quantity at this point

h4/9003 are dual filaments in one bulb
Old 08-13-2011
Registered!!

SpeedDownZone is a jewel in the roughSpeedDownZone is a jewel in the roughSpeedDownZone is a jewel in the roughSpeedDownZone is a jewel in the rough

in for the night shots, i see about two or three dead spot on the front of the car but only a night shot would help us see it better. But the cut off looks excellent.
Old 08-13-2011

This is a very sick headlamp though!!! I would love to see some shots of this baby in action!
Old 08-13-2011

Heres the first one.

Old 08-13-2011
Premium Member

all i see is black lol. lemme reopen these and turn up the brightness
Old 08-13-2011

are your headlights on??? O_____O
Old 08-14-2011
Premium Member

i turned the brightness up so i could actually see something and wasnt too impressed. the beam is very laser like and why are they different colors? one side looks stock and another looks like a whiter version.

Quick Reply: Halo projector... good or bullshit?