7th Generation Civic 2001 - 2005 In the years from 2001 to 2005 Honda released it's 7th Generation Civic.
Chassis codes: EM2, ES1, EP3, EU1
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Updated! 04 manual trans 1st gear problem

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2011
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
pp0225 is an unknown quantity at this point
Updated! 04 manual trans 1st gear problem

Hi again~! Today I did a few things in my car to see if it helps my 1st gear starting problem. Oil change with royal purple 5w20, ngk iridium plugs and air filter, didnt feel like to clean the throttle body (lazy). After that the problem still there, vibration at 1st gear get worst if I carry more people. I ordered the ES insert today, let see will that solve my problem .

Last edited by pp0225; 03-08-2011 at 12:27 PM.
Old 03-03-2011
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
jponto07 is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: 04 manual trans 1st gear problem

How many miles?
Old 03-03-2011
Trance Addict

MelJ is a glorious beacon of lightMelJ is a glorious beacon of lightMelJ is a glorious beacon of lightMelJ is a glorious beacon of lightMelJ is a glorious beacon of light

Is it slipping during acceleration in other gears? Does the car shake or "chatter" during launching? A little more info would help. Mileage is not neccessarily an indicator of clutch condition, although it could help some. I've seen them last for 200k+ and seen them burnt out in 10k.
Old 03-03-2011
Registered!!

it is 79000 miles, and it doesnt slip in other gears, when i am launching, leting go the cluch, my car feels like going to stall or vibrate... Put half can seafoam into the brake booster today, didnt help ... I know it has nothing to do with the seafoam anyways...........
Old 03-03-2011
Whachya lookin at?

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
BlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond repute

Hmmmmmmmmm..... Check your front motor mount.
Old 03-04-2011
Registered!!

ashokudu is an unknown quantity at this point

does it chatter only in first gear or anytime it is under load?
Old 03-04-2011
PITA Admin
Administrator

Received 1,444 Likes on 1,199 Posts
sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

your clutch seems fine, maybe engine
Old 03-04-2011
Registered!!

it only chatter only letting cluch go at 1st gear...sorry guys, just wondering how you determine a bad motor mount?
Old 03-04-2011
PITA Admin
Administrator

sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

they are torn - visual inspection. engine will move more than usual. mine it clucnked when passing in bumps, or sometimes during acceleration. whole assembly moves and hit the walls.
But you have a stalling, it means clutch getting through and holding the engine down
Old 03-04-2011
Registered!!

Originally Posted by sdaidoji
they are torn - visual inspection. engine will move more than usual. mine it clucnked when passing in bumps, or sometimes during acceleration. whole assembly moves and hit the walls.
But you have a stalling, it means clutch getting through and holding the engine down
so is it usually the front one? thank you dude
Old 03-04-2011
Trance Addict

MelJ is a glorious beacon of lightMelJ is a glorious beacon of lightMelJ is a glorious beacon of lightMelJ is a glorious beacon of lightMelJ is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by sdaidoji
they are torn - visual inspection. engine will move more than usual. mine it clucnked when passing in bumps, or sometimes during acceleration
Damn. I thought when mine went they were really bad.
Yeah man. Check your mounts. They're often overlooked and not replaced when they should be. If it turns out to be your mounts, Advance Auto sells some pretty sturdy one. I don't know how the bolts are for the 7th gen, but mine are in the goddamn frame. I broke one off and my driver's side mount is still there until I give a damn to actually pay to replace it.
Old 03-04-2011
Whachya lookin at?

BlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond repute

The mount is REAL easy to change... Just make sure you properly support the engine when you do it (A jack and a piece of wood under the oil pan, make sure you use wood otherwise the jack CAN and WILL put a hole in your oilpan). The front motor mount is the weakest on 7th gens... and is generally the only one that blows.. If it is torn, you can order a poly mount from energy suspension or you can just buy poly from a store and fill the mount with it (There are a couple DIYs on this forum). I'd start there because its a super cheap fix and its more likely than not torn on your car anyway. Oh yes, if you do decide to go the poly way you will experience more shake than you did with your OEM mount, but its definitely tolerable.
Old 03-04-2011
Whachya lookin at?

Oh yea DONT use seafoam people... I don't care how many enthusiasts say its awesome that **** just aint right.
Old 03-04-2011
Registered!!

2005civiclx is a jewel in the rough2005civiclx is a jewel in the rough2005civiclx is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by tbohar
Oh yea DONT use seafoam people... I don't care how many enthusiasts say its awesome that **** just aint right.
Thank you. that stuff cant really mess up your car and there are safer products out there that should be used instead.
Old 03-04-2011
PITA Admin
Administrator

bu8t remember, this is an internet diagnosys - it's as good as your description of the problem
Old 03-05-2011
Registered!!

Originally Posted by tbohar
The mount is REAL easy to change... Just make sure you properly support the engine when you do it (A jack and a piece of wood under the oil pan, make sure you use wood otherwise the jack CAN and WILL put a hole in your oilpan). The front motor mount is the weakest on 7th gens... and is generally the only one that blows.. If it is torn, you can order a poly mount from energy suspension or you can just buy poly from a store and fill the mount with it (There are a couple DIYs on this forum). I'd start there because its a super cheap fix and its more likely than not torn on your car anyway. Oh yes, if you do decide to go the poly way you will experience more shake than you did with your OEM mount, but its definitely tolerable.
Thanks man, I actually look at the mount today, front mount seems fine to me, just a bit rust around it ( not sure how to tell is it torn or not...). I search around the forum again, all people said the front one is pretty easy to change, but I cant find any write up with photos... just wondering do you have any link that provide write up? please~~~~
Old 03-07-2011
Registered!!

front motor mount seems fine, what could happen to my car?
Old 03-07-2011
PITA Admin
Administrator

do the normal stuff, change air filters, oil, spark plugs, etc if they are due.
if that does not help, go through these.
https://www.civicforums.com/forums/1...e-up-mods.html
if that does not help, check the other 2 motor mounts.
at the least, engine will run happier after all that.
Come back if it still seems strange, but i place bets the engine is not running at its peak, so no power enough when you engage clutch and it will simply try to stop for lack of power (like when you are reeealy hungry and not enough energy to even walk).
Old 03-07-2011
PITA Admin
Administrator

hunh.
From your descriptions and all...
do you actually feel that you car have been loosing power? If not, it could actually be clutch, maybe.
All depends on your description, or have someone else more knowleadgeable drive the car, a friend maybe. It's confusing right now.
Old 03-08-2011
Whachya lookin at?

Yea this stuff is impossible to diagnose over the internet because we can't actually feel and see what the car is doing. However, we can tell you of the common fails that may cause something similar to your description (Front motor mount was one). The manual transmissions on these cars are pretty good so it's probably not that. Change your transmission fluid and see if it helps. It could be time for a professional diagonsis if you can't find the problem yourself. Clean your throttle body as well, it could be the engine starving for air.