7th Generation Civic 2001 - 2005 In the years from 2001 to 2005 Honda released it's 7th Generation Civic.
Chassis codes: EM2, ES1, EP3, EU1
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Need help w/ Valve Adjustment.

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2010
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
JRunyon21 is an unknown quantity at this point
Need help w/ Valve Adjustment.

Last night I decided to dive into the car maintenance world and one of the things I tried to fix was the clicking/ticking of my engine. Dealer said I needed a valve adjustment.

The oil change, air filter, spark plug replacement went well but the valve adjustment had its bumps. I do not think I screwed anything up, but when I got the valve cover and belt cover off I was in a little over my head. It also took me a little too long toget apart so right now, it is still apart waiting for me to work on.

First: Which cylinder is the #1 cylinder? Left to Right or Right to Left? lololololololololol great first question.

Second: Once a cylinder is at TDC, can both the intake and exhaust valves could be adjusted for that cylinder.

Third: Is there a detailed description on how to actually use the feeler gauge when adjusting the valves? The DIY I used on here, which was awesome otherwise, left this very vauge. "Loosen tighting nut, unscrew tightening screw, insert .010 inch feeler gauge, tighten screw until the screw 'grabs' the gauge, torque tightening nut to 13 ft lbs."
Two things need clarified for me if possible:
  • 1. What does the word grab really mean lol? If I tighten the screw until it really grabs the gauge I can BARELY(If at all pull the gauge out. Is that too tight? Should I tighten it until it barely touches the gauge?
  • 2. Should the feeler gauge stay in place while I tighten the tightening NUT?

ANY help would be greatly apprciated.

Thanks in advance.

-Jason
Old 05-14-2010
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Need help w/ Valve Adjustment.

https://www.civicforums.com/forums/1...djustment.html
Old 05-14-2010
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
JRunyon21 is an unknown quantity at this point

That is the DIY I used. It is AWESOME. I just needed a little extra than what it gives about the feeler gauge and also the cylinder position.

If anyone has any input to my questions let me know.

Thanks

-Jason
Old 05-14-2010
Administrator
Administrator

Received 1,149 Likes on 803 Posts
xRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond repute

https://www.civicforums.com/forums/7...der-order.html

I think that's what you're looking for
Old 05-14-2010
Premium Member

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

ah okay. well for question1, first cylinder is closest to the cam gear (not 100% sure tho, its been a while).

question2, as the diy says you have to keep rotating the crank to different position to adjust a given set of valves. rotate again and adjust the next set of valves.

question3, feeler gauge is sortof like a spark plug gapping tool. you want it to slide between two surfaces with some resistance. not too little that it slides loosely, not too much that its hard to pull out. just somewhere in the middle where you feel some drag when pulling it thru the space.