7th Generation Civic 2001 - 2005 In the years from 2001 to 2005 Honda released it's 7th Generation Civic.
Chassis codes: EM2, ES1, EP3, EU1
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Exhaust Pipe Sizing

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2009
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
user_unlisted is an unknown quantity at this point
Exhaust Pipe Sizing

I am interested in buying this Magnaflow muffler for my 2002 EX Sedan.
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/MPE-14859/

The inlet is 2.25" and the outlet is 4.0". I believe the 7th gen civic has 2.25" exhaust piping. Would this muffler be clampable? As far as I understand, the ppings outside diameter would have to be 2.25 and the mufflers inside diameter would have to be 2.25". This way the muffler would slip right over the piping and then I could clamp it. Does anyone know whether the 2.25" exhaust size is an inside or outside measurement? Do you know if a muffler's inlet diameter is an inside or outside measurement?

Assuming this works out, and I can slide the muffler right over the stock exhaust, would I have to cut my current muffler off or is it bolted on somewhere that would be reachable by an aftermarket muffler?

Thanks for the help guys.
Old 09-29-2009
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Exhaust Pipe Sizing

they also sell adapters at the auto store that you could fool with to try and get it to fit.
Old 09-30-2009
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
unTuned is a name known to allunTuned is a name known to allunTuned is a name known to allunTuned is a name known to allunTuned is a name known to allunTuned is a name known to allunTuned is a name known to all

well first thing is first. the measurements given with exhaust piping are almost always outside measurements, not the measurement of the 'hollow' part itself that the air flows through. if a pipe is called 2 1/2 inch, it means youll probably have about 2 1/4 inch of actual hollow space for air flow.

second thing, stock 7th gen piping is NOT 2 1/4 inch. i am about 99% sure that it is 1 3/4 inch. i will check in my garage tomorrow. i have my stock exhaust system sitting in the rafters.

it sounds like you want to use your whole stock system, with just the new muffler. is that correct? if so, you will likely have to cut your muffler off if you want to use stock piping with the new magnaflow muffler because im pretty sure its welded to the pipe.

with your stock piping being 1 3/4 inch, it should easily slide right into the 2 1/4 inch pipe with about 1/8 inch of a gap all the way around if i had to guess. you could easily weld a bead to fill 1/8 inch gap (or get it done) or you could find an adapter at any local auto store im sure that will sleeve over the both of them and connect them. whether the adapter would have to be welded or clamped, will depend on what you can find.

Last edited by unTuned; 09-30-2009 at 12:31 AM. Reason: edit
Old 09-30-2009
Premium Member

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

they also have muffler mend putty you can fill inside to seal it, that stuff hardens like a rock.
Old 09-30-2009
Registered!!

unTuned is a name known to allunTuned is a name known to allunTuned is a name known to allunTuned is a name known to allunTuned is a name known to allunTuned is a name known to allunTuned is a name known to all

yeah, chances are thats what i would do. if it was me i would get the muffler, make sure my measurements were all right (or cut slightly longer at first just to be sure) and use a reciprocating saw or something to cut the stock muffler off. then i would just put the new muffler in place and use a tight fitting sleeve and clamp it, then just cake it with the muffler mend putty stuff gearbox is talking about. its like a creamy putty.

the stuff is called 'muffler cement' to be exact, and yes it works great. its only a few dollars at the local parts store. a guy in our local em2 club did it all over his down pipe and it hardens like steel. just dont ever expect to get it off.
Old 09-30-2009
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
user_unlisted is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm trying to avoid welding. I don't want to have it done, I'd much rather do it myself and since I dont have a welder I really want to stick with a clamp or maybe even that cement. I just want to get my sizing right and make sure an adapter is available so I can just pick a muffler and get this project goin
Old 09-30-2009
Premium Member

TRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz Erthang

Do it right. Find an axle back that you can bolt on instead of having to cut and weld... If your going to run a universal muffler, then take it to a muffler shop and have them weld on a pipe so that it bolts on to your stock exhaust near the axle, then you can go back to stock whenever you want with out any nasty looking battlefield-surgery scars on your stock exhaust.