7th Generation Civic 2001 - 2005 In the years from 2001 to 2005 Honda released it's 7th Generation Civic.
Chassis codes: EM2, ES1, EP3, EU1
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

BMXA transmission issue

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2015
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Whitexj is an unknown quantity at this point
BMXA transmission issue

So I have been having a slipping issue between 2/3rd gear. It started about a year ago but seemed to get better over the warmer months. Now the cooler weather is here the problem came back and even worse. It had a very hard slip between 2/3rd gear and I noticed a whining noise. Being low on funds I figured I would drain the fluid and add some new to help clean it out. Well I didn't get very far until I noticed some bucking from the car.got into the turn lane to turn around and go home. Made the u turn and started driving, when I knew I could cost it close enough (maybe drove 100 yards after the turn) I popped it into nutreul and costed home around a few corners. Their is nothing there, it won't catch any gears or move at all. Did the fluid change cause it to finally go out? I'm really thinking about trying to rebuild it at home.
It seems these transmissions have a known issue between 2/3rd gear and I really don't want to buy another used transmission just to have the same issue in 5k miles. If I want to rebuild this at home what is the best source for buying new clutch plates? It's a 2002 civic
Old 09-23-2015
Administrator
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!
Administrator

Received 1,156 Likes on 806 Posts
xRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond repute
Re: BMXA transmission issue

I'd get a whole new clutch kit, just to be on the safe side. Hopefully it's just a clutch problem.

I've been running an exedy OEM replacement clutch for a while now, and it's done me well. Just make sure you get the flywheel resurfaced.

You can get the clutch on thmotorsports.com for $81.40 shipped (there's a $10 rebate through thmotorsports using the coupon code "exedycash," but it doesn't apply the $10 discount to the cart and it comes with the message "Get $10 Cash Back After You Purchase"). You can also find it on amazon for $84.96, and it's prime eligible, if you have amazon prime, that is.
Old 09-23-2015
The legs in the public bathroom stall

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
mcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to behold

That is an auto trans right? If there are no failed bearings or toasted diff gears you might be able to get away with a new set of internal clutches and steels. However you really should change the torque convertor and flush the trans cooler as well. Adding an inline filter would help to prevent any deposited debris from making its way into the rebuilt unit.

I have considered doing the same to mine. Mine just has slushy shifts sometimes.
Old 09-25-2015
Registered!!

Originally Posted by mcnoople
That is an auto trans right? If there are no failed bearings or toasted diff gears you might be able to get away with a new set of internal clutches and steels. However you really should change the torque convertor and flush the trans cooler as well. Adding an inline filter would help to prevent any deposited debris from making its way into the rebuilt unit.

I have considered doing the same to mine. Mine just has slushy shifts sometimes.
Yes it's the auto trans. I removed the trans tonight and while be cleaning it off tomorrow as their is plenty of oil and dirt. I think this is the kit I need to do the rebuild and get all seals replaced.

http://www.amazon.com/Honda-Civic-Super-Overhaul-Rebuild/dp/B00AZ64PRI

I also plan on replacing the torque converter and cleaning the lines as well. I will look into an inline filter to help stop this from happing again! This will be the first time I've ever worked on a transmission so this should be a bit interesting....any idea where to find torque specs for the rebuilding the transmission?
Old 09-30-2015
Registered!!

Any specific name for the nuts on the gear shafts? Need to replace one of them so I'm going to just replace both of them. Trying to find them local as shipping is extra and tends to take awhile. Thanks for the help!