7th Generation Civic 2001 - 2005 In the years from 2001 to 2005 Honda released it's 7th Generation Civic.
Chassis codes: EM2, ES1, EP3, EU1
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Please help!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2012
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
~T.O.W~ is an unknown quantity at this point
Please help!!!!!!

Hi all

First off let me explain that i have very little to no car knowledge or experience,aside from the basic understanding of the parts and what not. And im am new to this forum so I apologize if i posted this in the Wrong area

My Car is a 2002 Honda civic DX Manual trans. Roughly 87,000 Miles on it

Now here's my Issue,Recently I've noticed the smell of Exhaust Fumes in my car while driving " with the windows rolled up " And turning on the Fan only makes the smell stronger inside. When i roll my windows down and drive for a sec or two the smell Goes almost completely away.. also when Im IN Neutral at a red light the smell is faint but still there. Here's another thing that Might also be apart of the problem... from a stopped position,as i let the clutch out and give it some gas it Makes a kinda faint sputtering sound along side the Sound of a Normal Revving engine..the faint sputtering sound to me, resembles like an Idling Old fashioned Bug..And it only seems to make the sound when in gear and I apply the Gas..If i Rev the Engine outa gear it sounds like a normal Healthy Motor Normally does

So can these two issues be linked to the same problem? or do i Have 2 sets of issues? Also no check engine or Maintenance required lights are on
Old 05-05-2012
Registered!!

iridehonda is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Please help!!!!!!

Sounds like an exhaust leak.
Old 05-05-2012
Registered!!

Originally Posted by iridehonda
Sounds like an exhaust leak.
where is the question that's rattling around in ma brain...Have any idea's as to where i should start?
Old 05-05-2012
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

If you can SMELL it, and it smells like a lawnmower, then the leak is before the cat (between the engine and the cat). If you take off the heat shields, you may find something like this:
Name:  Exhaustcracked.jpg
Views: 247
Size:  128.4 KB

In this case, the manifold and the cat are one unit.
Most patching will be temporary at best.
Guess what you have to buy now....

Or maybe loose nuts or broken studs holding the manifold to the head. Play the lottery if it turns out to be this.
Old 05-05-2012
Registered!!

Originally Posted by ezone
If you can SMELL it, and it smells like a lawnmower, then the leak is before the cat (between the engine and the cat). If you take off the heat shields, you may find something like this:

In this case, the manifold and the cat are one unit.
Most patching will be temporary at best.
Guess what you have to buy now....

Or maybe loose nuts or broken studs holding the manifold to the head. Play the lottery if it turns out to be this.

So i might have a crack in the Headers...Ima take a look tomorrow...If there is a crack DO i need to replace Immediately?
Old 05-05-2012
Registered!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
lowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to behold

you might be able to patch it.
Old 05-05-2012
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ~T.O.W~
So i might have a crack in the Headers...Ima take a look tomorrow...If there is a crack DO i need to replace Immediately?
Ssssssup to you. I could elaborate at length about various issues it can cause, but I'm just not feeling it this evening.
Old 05-06-2012
Registered!!

Aetoc will become famous soon enoughAetoc will become famous soon enough

I drove around with a cracked manifold for god knows how long...doesn't really cause much harm if it's small, but it would have gotten bigger if I didnt replace it, and then big problems would have started occurring. It could also just be the spring bolts holding the cat to the downpipe, or the gasket, which are both cheap, compared to a manifold replacement.