8th & 9th Generation Civic 2006 - 2015 9th Gen 2012 - 2015.
8th Gen 2006 - 2011.
9th Gen Chassis Codes: FB2, FB4, FB6, FG 3, FG4.
8th Gen Chassis Codes: FG1, FG2, FA1, FA3, FA5.

Pros and Cons of a Civic..

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2015
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
FutureCivicOwnr is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Pros and Cons of a Civic..

Hi all! This is my first post on this site. I do not own a Civic, but I have been heavily considering purchasing one. I drive a Toyota now and recently had it in for a clutch replacement. The dealer didn't have another Toyota courtesy car to lend out, so they gave me a 2015 Civic EX-L sedan to drive. I have to say, I was extremely impressed with it! It's a bit weak on power and I'm not a fan of the CVT transmission, but other than that, it was very nice! I was wondering if anyone here has a current model that they could tell me what they like and don't like about it. My biggest issue was the air conditioning!! Yesterday, for example, it was 100 outside and while in traffic, the automatic climate control, on the coldest temp setting, was struggling to keep the cabin cool. After returning the Civic and picking up my Toyota, going back through the same traffic, I didn't even have to have the fan on high once the cabin was initially cooled. Is this typical a/c performance with anyone else's Civic?? The car I had was a 2015 with 1400 miles. Thanks all!!
Old 07-14-2015
"Honda - tried, true & tested...!"

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
brags is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Pros and Cons of a Civic..

Civics? Great cars...! pros: are good fuel mileage, will fit 5 passengers
although a little snug , nice exterior & interior styling, maintenance like tires,brakes, muffler, and fluids & filters etc...are reasonably priced for the
up keep. comfortable ride (with adjustable upright seating) handles well.

Cons: could use a little more ponies and Yes the A/C in these 8th
gen are not the coldest due to small compressors for weight savings to maximise fuel econo. (mine was checked and this is what the service
rep told me.) although my 8th gen is a 5 speed don't let CVT transmission

scare You. my other vehicle being a Murano has a CVT although its not a
Honda one I have had no issues with it im sure Hondas should be fine I
think 2015 Civics have 5-6 speed trans but again not exactly sure.
so there You have it my Pros and Cons
Old 07-15-2015
Registered!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
jordan1794 is just really nicejordan1794 is just really nicejordan1794 is just really nicejordan1794 is just really nicejordan1794 is just really nice

The CVT definitely doesn't help the power lol.
Kills off-the-line torque. The fuel savings though...
About 20k miles and my overall average is 37 MPG.
http://www.fuelly.com/car/honda/civi...dan1794/281863

I don't bother with automatic climate control, if I run the AC I set it to the coldest setting, and set to recirculate. Takes about 2-3 minutes before you start to feel it, but for me I find myself turning it down after about 5 minutes.

I will say though, where the CVT shines is at speed. If you are going 50-60 mph and need to punch it, it can pick a ratio and give you full power immediately. Makes it very easy to get things done if you need to (I.E. merging on a busy highway). The only time I ever notice the lower horsepower is at low speeds. Econ button makes it feel even slower, but with the fuel economy I don't complain. I think you don't get full power unless you press the pedal more than 80% with the econ button on.

I'm a bit biased though, my first car was a 2006 Civic, and my second car is a 2014 Civic. I don't see many cons yet because the 2014 compared to the 2006 is a MASSIVE change in quality/features.
Old 07-23-2015
RSJ
Registered!!

RSJ is an unknown quantity at this point

I have a 2013 Honda Civic EX Sedan - last model year with the traditional 5-speed auto - no CVT! For the most part I like it. I debated between it and an Accord but found my Civic barely used with 2,500 miles on it and got a killer deal by trading in my paid-off older Accord which had equity in it. I am a 6ft tall guy and find the room adequate although not a lot of extra space - I don't feel cramped. I am single with no kids so just me in the car every day and an occasional friend along for the ride. The ride and handling are great with the Civic - its almost like "putting on a good fitting shoe" when you get in and it goes where you point it with sharpness and smoothness. The power is not so great. With the A/C off, it seems to give the car a much different personality than with it on. With it off, the car shifts quickly up and down when needed and accelerates perfectly well in most situations with little fuss. With the A/C on, it changes to a much slower, constantly downshifting car as it tries to compensate for the extra drag on the engine - with extra power that is just not there. I live in Florida so the A/C is on a lot - mine seems to cool adequately with the auto climate control A/C even in the Florida heat.

The audio system is great. This Civic stereo system sounds better than the Accord I tested. The Accord stereo system was horrible! Stereo/audio is important to me so it counts in my book. The bluetooth phone and iTunes connectivity with my phone all work very well and sound is awesome! Gas mileage is pretty good, I avg around 29-30 mpg with a lot of city driving - I've gotten over 40 mpg on the hwy. I have used the "Econ" button on a tank or two and it gives you a 2-3 mpg bump but it really does blunt the acceleration in an already barely adequate powertrain so I rarely use it. Again when the A/C is off, the "Econ" mode works OK but with the "Econ" mode engaged AND the A/C on, you get a very frustrating car to drive - there is just not enough power for this! Reliability is yet to be seen since its fairly new but so far no hiccups and the car feels very solid and well put together - all the reliability charts show this model year to be rock solid so hope that's what I find with mine over time - this Civic 1.8L engine and 5-speed auto transmission is a tried and true powertrain combination that's been around a lot of years. My next vehicle, I really want an Acura ILX but I'll wait a few years and find a good used one and trade up from my Civic - they are a bit expensive for my budget to buy new! Hope this helps!

Last edited by RSJ; 07-23-2015 at 07:44 AM.
Old 08-08-2015
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
pnamajck is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by FutureCivicOwnr
… My biggest issue was the air conditioning!! Yesterday, for example, it was 100 outside and while in traffic, the automatic climate control, on the coldest temp setting, was struggling to keep the cabin cool …
fco … i been told engaging the eco-button(cvt model) places further strain on the small over-tasked compressor. along with jordan's tip in using recycled air … you might consider the darkest legal window-tint. while civics seem to have been plagued by this for many generations (my previous model was 2002-civic) … the accords have very cold ac.

source: local honda-dealership (sales agent).
Old 08-09-2015
Registered!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
jordan1794 is just really nicejordan1794 is just really nicejordan1794 is just really nicejordan1794 is just really nicejordan1794 is just really nice

I second the window tint tip!
My friend got her 2006 Si tinted and says she barely touches her AC anymore.
(Of course, she got limo on the back, and the darkest she could in the front)

Going to get my 2014 Tinted here soon. Probably shoot for about the same darkness as the stock tint on the moonroof.
Old 08-11-2015
Registered!!

ZoSoIV is an unknown quantity at this point

doing tint tomorrow on my 2009 coupe ,5% all the way around for me