8th & 9th Generation Civic 2006 - 2015 9th Gen 2012 - 2015.
8th Gen 2006 - 2011.
9th Gen Chassis Codes: FB2, FB4, FB6, FG 3, FG4.
8th Gen Chassis Codes: FG1, FG2, FA1, FA3, FA5.

2009 Civic EX Engine Start Problems

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2010
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
JadedRedDragon is an unknown quantity at this point
2009 Civic EX Engine Start Problems

I bought my civic brand new early September. When it started getting colder out when I would try to cold start the engine it would have to crank over several times before it would start.

Does anyone else have this problem?

The engine eventually starts and I am not stuck having to call someone to pick me up. Should I get this checked by the Honda Dealership?
Old 03-31-2010
35+ Years Driving Japanese Autos

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
CraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of light
Re: 2009 Civic EX Engine Start Problems

You might document it with the service department & get it on paper. I think this is kind of a common issue with these, I have not been able to determine if this is 06-10 or only 09-10 models though.

I have to admit my 2010 LX has had this issue 1 morning at around 500 miles. Only once to date.

Someone at the 8th gen site mentioned pressing the accelerator pedal and it will start. I plan on trying this If it occurs again.

I always stop at II until the fuel pump stops then crank the engine.
Old 06-03-2010
Registered!!

spatel88 is an unknown quantity at this point

yeah i have the same problem i have a 09 civic bought it last aug
Old 06-05-2010
Registered!!

speeeedddddfrea is an unknown quantity at this point

If your engine cranks slowly, your cold starting problem is not fuel related, but may be due to a weak battery, loose or corroded battery cables, or a weak starter.
Old 06-06-2010
Whachya lookin at?

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
BlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond repute

It's not likely any of the above ^. I think this is an issue Honda is aware of with the newer civics. If a one year old car has corroded terminals or any of that crap it's not doing too well. Worth checking it I guess.
Old 06-08-2010
Registered!!

SugarCane18 is an unknown quantity at this point

I too have the same problem with my 2010 civic, sometimes I feel like it wont start, And its not even cold out so im starting to wonder if I might have problems with it once winter comes along. I hope not.
Old 01-16-2011
Registered!!

civicri is an unknown quantity at this point

I registered and signed on to this forum to add my problems with my 2009 Honda Civic. When I asked the service rep about it, she said it was become I was female and for some reason females do not turn the key quick enough. (sounds so dumb when I write this now).

Well, yesterday my husband had to go start the car and it again wouldn't start right away. He did get it going.

I'm really nervous with this car that I bought brand new in September 2009 and now have four years of payments with. Just worry each time if it will start.
Old 01-26-2011
Registered!!

spoyld is an unknown quantity at this point
Angry Re: 2009 Civic EX Engine Start Problems

I have a 2009 Honda Civic LX purchased new off the lot on 2/7/09. Since my third month of owning it, I have had multiple failed starts along with multiple long cranks before the car would turn all the way over and run.

I have missed work, been stranded, late for appointments, etc. due to this issue as it happens whenever it feels like it. It has happened in 60 degree temps, 50, 40, 30, 20, 10 and below zero temps as well, so it isn't a seasonal issue.

Initially it wouldn't start at all the first try, but always started even without a delay the second time around. Now I have had days where it has had 8 failed attempts and the service manager had to come to my home to diagnose it, however, he showed up 4 hours later than planned and came without a technician or any diagnostic equipment.

Car started up with a 12 second delay and was driven to the dealership. After inspection, I was told that I must have flooded the engine, however, I was also told that I needed to put dry gas in every other tank and the problem would hopefully go away. Mind you, they did replace my battery a year ago so that wasn't the problem.

We are now at the end of our second year with this disasterous mess and the latest non-starting ordeal was with my remote starter, so I know that the 'flooded tank' accusation couldn't have been the problem. I saw an attorney today and was told to go forth with the Lemon Law pursuit, but to begin by serving notice to the dealership, then contact Honda of America, then contact Consumer Protection.

Well, I went to pick up my car today from a two day appointment to replace (yes, they finally replaced something through "good faith" as the service manager put it) the fuel relay pump switch and I tried serving the letter of my Lemon Law intention, but no one was willing to take it and I was told I had to come back when the VP was there as only he could sign for the notice of the Lemon Law suit.

This should be a much more fun ride than my 09 Civic has been...cross your fingers for me and I'll keep you all posted!

Suzanne B.
Old 01-26-2011
Registered!!

Michelle82 has a spectacular aura aboutMichelle82 has a spectacular aura about

This is the immobilizer in the security system causing the fuel pump to not get enough power to start.