General Honda Civic Forum Archive. The archive is dedicated to storing threads for research purposes only, please place questions in their appropriate forum.

ruined gauge needles instaling indiglo gauges-help

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2002

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
fuledya is an unknown quantity at this point
ruined gauge needles instaling indiglo gauges-help

Okay, I have a 2001 manual EX.
There covered under warranty thank god so the new instrument cluster is on it's way. But im still confused. When we put them on we spun the needles, was that wrong? My tach doesn't work right, it jumps up to 3000 and stays there until I push in the clutch, then it jumps down to 1000. It doesn't work right at all. The speedo would stick at 70 mph, running fine up to that point, but wouldn't spin beyound the 70mph mark. Am I the only one who's had this problem? I am seroiusly thinking about trying to install them again and take the chance with my new cluster, but if it happens again the dealer will def. suspect something. How did you guys do it? Also, did everyone have to either tape or glue them down so the back side of the needle wouldn't rub on the gauges as it spun? The cluster doesn't seem to hold them down very tight, and there not held down with screws on the 2001 like other car set ups.
Old 11-07-2002
Registered!!

Macker is an unknown quantity at this point
The Indiglo's need to be kept down using double sided tape. The tape needs to be thin so as not to cause a bulge and stop the needles moving. If you follow the DIY it is fairly easy, just be very careful when touching the needles that you dont force them. You can remove the needles from the gauge cluster if you are worried about damaging them, but you will need to get the whole set of needles recalibrated again.
Old 11-07-2002
Registered!!

IDQcivic should not be trusted
I don't think warranty will cover it since YOU did something to cause the problem, it didn't happen on its own.. Anyways if they do cover you, good for you! Anyways,just get double sided tape. As for the needles spinning around, I think mine did that too, but it worked fine once put back together. I originally had AC gauges and they came with tape but the needles still kinda rubbed and the gauges barely fit over the needs, and then the AC gauges failed on me by not lighting up I ended up going with the BOMZ gauges , these things are great compared to the AC ones, they didn't come with tape but I just used double sided carpet tape, worked great. The hole was bigger on the BOMZ gauges so they fit perfectly over the needle and no rubbing! Also it comes with an actual switch with a toggle switch for blue/green and an intenisty ****. Also the indiglo color is very crisp. Well hopefully this helps. Later..

Old 11-07-2002
Registered!!

SOHCScreamer is an unknown quantity at this point
well what can i say, thats what you get for taking out the sweetest guages ever put in a civic, only to put in guages that make you look like a smurf driving a civic.

indiglos suck!
Old 11-07-2002

Yea, well opinions are like as%holes, everyone's got one!

This wasn't a pole to determine what people's opinions were of indiglo gauges, I was wondering if I was the only one having problems with them. Maybe you should pay a little more attention to the intent of a post before you just go rambling on with your opinions.
Old 11-07-2002
Registered!!

SOHCScreamer is an unknown quantity at this point
maybe you should pay attention to the intent of the reply, think about what you put your money into.

dude, i wansnt trying to be an a$$hole. im just saying that there are somethings on our car that dont need replacing.
Old 11-07-2002
Registered!!

sovereign82 is an unknown quantity at this point
I think its the single best under $50 upgrade for our car. It adds a unique flare to our cars that separates them from other Civics. Personally, I have a Blaupunkt HU which is blue as well. Orange + Blue < Blue + Blue.

There is no need to even bend the needs...bend the gauge cover. Its very easy.

Oh and guess what...the new civic has ALOT of "the best"...its the NEWEST so it should be the best (thats questionable though [IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif[/IMG][IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif[/IMG])...the stock exhaust is THE BEST but it can be even better...should I not touch my exhaust...

Sigh...some people = [IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-puke.gif[/IMG]

Matt
Old 11-07-2002
Registered!!

nbpEMCivic is an unknown quantity at this point
I was in your situation a long time ago (think it happend when I 1st joined the site). I removed the needles to put the guages on, but doing so ruins your guage cluster. The whole part (Honda sells it as one piece) comes pre calibrated from the factory. You cannot take it to a dealer and get it re-calibrated, you HAVE to get a new guage cluster. How do get one for free? Well if you are still under warrenty, put the guage cluster back together best you can, take it to the dealer, and tell them the guages are messed up. Mention nothing about you even touching the cluster. It worked for me. It was some kind of electrical problem [IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/IMG].
Old 11-07-2002

Hey Phillippe01,
Thats what I did, they are going to warranty it, thank god. I didn't remove my needles, and they still stuck afterwards. Did you end up leaving it alone the second time, or did you have someone profesionally do it? Your speedo was reset to zero wasn't it? That's what they told me would happen[IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-frown.gif[/IMG] I'm still confused how I ruined them in the first place, like I said I DIDN'T remove the needles.
Old 11-07-2002
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Krepoort is an unknown quantity at this point
Did you try removing the new face and see if it was still messed? If so, maybe you bent the needle while installing. If its fine after you removed the new gauges, that its just sticking. You'll need to find out where its puffing out and just tape it down.

-Kre
Old 11-07-2002
2k1civic.com O. G.

AzNmiKex215 will become famous soon enoughAzNmiKex215 will become famous soon enough
i super glued my them suckaz down.. normal glue would loosen in hot dayz cuasing my needles to stick..
Old 11-07-2002
Registered!!

2001CIVICLX is an unknown quantity at this point
Yep, double sided tape will stop those things from stickin. I put mine in and it stuck at around 60-70 mph and then jumped up to 80 +, and the tach did the same thing. I removed the cluster again and stuck some double sided SCOTCH tape under them and they haven't stuck since, all the way through the Texas summer.

Aaron