General Honda Civic Forum Archive. The archive is dedicated to storing threads for research purposes only, please place questions in their appropriate forum.

97 Civic EX auto hard shifting

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2010
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
amandalll is an unknown quantity at this point
97 Civic EX auto hard shifting

I have a 97 Honda Civic EX auto, when I try to shift from park to reverse or park to drive it is very difficult and hard to shift and the lights do not light up on the console to indicate what gear you are in. Also, when putting into reverse you can hear it drop into gear but it does not correlate to the "R" on the shifter, it has to be slightly ahead of the R in order to actually reverse, if the shifter is at the R it just revs and won't go into gear. I have the same problem trying to get the car into park. It does not go into park until it is pushed hard forward of the "P". Once the car IS in gear, however, it drives perfectly and has no problems. Just wondering if this is an idication of a much bigger problem (transmission?) or if it is something that can be easily fixed? Sorry if my description doesn't make a lot of sense...hard to explain it. When the car is in drive, it does light up on the dash, but not when it is in park or reverse. Any help/insight/suggestions would be great.
Old 10-09-2010
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
Re: 97 Civic EX auto hard shifting

our old accord does the same thing and someone told us the shifter assembly will prolly need to be replaced. but so far its been okay for a year and its only certain days its really hard to get it in drive. other times it pops right in.