General Honda Civic Forum Archive. The archive is dedicated to storing threads for research purposes only, please place questions in their appropriate forum.

Timing Belt? What if it Breaks??

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2004
Pimp My Ride!! Please!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
UltimateWarrior is an unknown quantity at this point
Timing Belt? What if it Breaks??

I have almost 90K on my car already (2002) and I hate to have my timing belt replaced just because a manual states to change it at 101K. I mean, what would happen if my timing belt does break? Sure, I would have to pull over and get a tow but besides that, would it actually damage anything? If not, I might wait until the thing breaks because you never know, it could last 200k, right? Why pay for something that's not needed? Does anyone know how to tell if the timing belt is going bad? I'm not even sure where it is or what to look for.

Thanks!
Old 10-20-2004
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
Yes your engine will never be the same. Incorrect timing could basically bend the valves and ruin pistons. Let's just say very bad things will happen if it breaks. I'm getting mine done around 90k miles and also buying a new stock crank pulley. Might as well since it comes off anyway and they don't last very long. Yes, the belt will probably last at least 110k like the service record states, but I wouldn't risk it.
Old 10-20-2004
Registered!!

civic4dizoor is on a distinguished road
damn i have an 02 also ...ive got 38,800 miles i thought that was alot for a 2 and half yr old car ...how do u have 90k
Old 10-20-2004
Pimp My Ride!! Please!

My work. I service and install my company's equipment so I drive around all day long, usually over 100 a day, easy. Yes, they make me use my own vehicle but give me mileage. I know, my car is shot after three years but it's either that or find a new job. Hopefully this Honda will last a little while longer, at least the tranny I hope.

Thanks Gear for the insight. I'll look into getting it replaced. I may have to drive it a little while longer until I can get my Subaru. (Can't wait man)
Old 10-20-2004
Registered!!

7Gnoob is an unknown quantity at this point
We have interferance engines, which basically means if it's not timmed, parts will hit each other. Usually valves on pistons, which results in bent valves. Your car might run afterwards but it will run like crap. You'll eventally have to replace your engine.
Old 10-20-2004
Registered!!

kezay is an unknown quantity at this point
If the timing belt breaks then my friend you are in serious problems.......
*Some of the Intake and exaust valves will get bent..
*Possibly the piston could get damaged according to how fast you are driving when it breaks..
* When the belt itself breaks, the pieces of the belt would start flapping and that will damage the plastic cover that covers the timing belt..
* The crankshaft & camshaft position sensors are very close to the timing belt and the are made of a hard plastic (very easy to break). When the belt starts flapping it could damage one of these sensors.
* You will also have to buy back a head gasket because you will have to take off the head to install the new valves. ( After grinding the valves off course..)
So after having been through that experience I would change that belt very often......if I were you.
Old 10-21-2004
Pimp My Ride!! Please!

ok, thanks. I just hate the thought of a timing belt change. Honda seems to rape you in these situations as far as costs. I will shop around for sure.

My next car I will try to avoid an engine that needs one of these changed.
Old 10-21-2004
Pimp My Ride!! Please!

Oh yea.... almost forgot. While this belt is off or being changed, what parts besides the crank pulley should I have in my hands to give to the mechanic doing the work? I will buy these parts and just have them with me. You know if you don't most mechanics won't go the extra mile and replace parts even if they are right in front of their noses. Makes you mad. So, I want to be prepared and really look like I know what I am talking about so the mechanic who does this work doesn't try to snow me.

Thanks again.
Old 10-21-2004
Registered!!

VTECTypeR is an unknown quantity at this point
Just dont go to honda lol. There such a ripoff when it comes to timing belt change.
Old 10-21-2004
Registered!!

reyesvazquez is an unknown quantity at this point
you can replace water pump and timingbelt tensioner
Old 10-21-2004
Turbos, Engines, Chassis and Suspension Tech

4drcivic2k1 is an unknown quantity at this point
I recommend doing both when you service the belt, pumps are cheap, and why not when you've got it all apart. I would recommend a smaller shop. The belts on these engines are really easy to change, (well, compared to a 3000GT VR4), but you shouldn't be changed $1000 for something like this. You shouldn't have to replace the main crank pulley unless it got messed up somehow.
Old 10-21-2004
lkm

lkm should not be trustedlkm should not be trustedlkm should not be trustedlkm should not be trustedlkm should not be trustedlkm should not be trustedlkm should not be trustedlkm should not be trustedlkm should not be trustedlkm should not be trustedlkm should not be trusted
really, u can change a timing belt way cheaper than what honda says. the damn belts cost like 30-50 bucks. labor is the bitch though. funny thing is, i think an engine swap labor is cheaper compared to honda timing belt change service. either way, im at 18-19k miles and by then ill have a kseries and done enough work on it.
Old 12-28-2004
Registered!!

Gardener is an unknown quantity at this point
I have a 2001 LX and the check engine light just came on. 2 codes, P0336 and P1298. P0336 is the Crankshaft position sensor. I had the codes reset and the light has stayed off. Anyways, after looking at my Honda manual, I followed all the steps and found that I would be one step away from replacing the timing belt. Bottom line for me: if I can last to 110k miles (87k now) I will have the Crankshaft position sensor replaced at the same time. Dealer price is ~$80, but for all the labor I will simply have it done then, just like the water pump.
Old 12-28-2004
Registered!!

DjReaction is an unknown quantity at this point
you'll be F U C K E D
Old 12-28-2004
2k1civic.com O. G.

AzNmiKex215 will become famous soon enoughAzNmiKex215 will become famous soon enough
yea get your water pump changed as well!!
Old 12-29-2004
Registered!!

solar is an unknown quantity at this point
Just because the belt breaks doesn't mean that you will bend valves, it's possible that it will but, its also possible that it won't. I've changed over 100 timing belts in my life on many different cars and I've seen the same make of car either bend a valve or not bend a valve. It depends how lucky you get.

This however doesn't mean to wait until the belt breaks to replace it, try to get it done after 80,000 miles just to be safe.
Old 12-29-2004
Registered!!
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

vipergtsr should not be trustedvipergtsr should not be trustedvipergtsr should not be trustedvipergtsr should not be trusted
Honda tried to rape me on the timing belt change too. I went in for my 60,000 mile service. The service writer called me up halfway through the day and told me that the timing belt needs to be changed. I told him that the manual suggests it at 110,000 miles. He said that I fit into the severe maint. catagory living in Arizona. I told him that I just moved here from the Bay Area in northern California. He told me that the bay area is considered severe conditions too. They charge $300 to do the timing belt change. I basically told him to go fu(k himself.
Old 10-02-2007
This is Myspace

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
DsevenEm2 is a splendid one to beholdDsevenEm2 is a splendid one to beholdDsevenEm2 is a splendid one to beholdDsevenEm2 is a splendid one to beholdDsevenEm2 is a splendid one to beholdDsevenEm2 is a splendid one to beholdDsevenEm2 is a splendid one to beholdDsevenEm2 is a splendid one to beholdDsevenEm2 is a splendid one to beholdDsevenEm2 is a splendid one to behold
Re: Timing Belt? What if it Breaks??

Originally Posted by solar
Just because the belt breaks doesn't mean that you will bend valves, it's possible that it will but, its also possible that it won't. I've changed over 100 timing belts in my life on many different cars and I've seen the same make of car either bend a valve or not bend a valve. It depends how lucky you get.

This however doesn't mean to wait until the belt breaks to replace it, try to get it done after 80,000 miles just to be safe.

im bringing back this ancient thread for some important info about this kind of thing. our d17s are interferance motors. meaning, the combustion chamber doesnt have as much clearance as say a non-interferance motor. when that belt breaks, our valves and pistons will not be in sync and will eventually collide within a 4 second window. your motor will not only not move after that, but the internals (mainly pistons and valves) will be shot completely. this includes bent valves, snapped valves, valve seats cracked, pistons chipped and cracked and even as far as having a valve shot through the piston crown.
now.. as opposed to a non-interferance motor, where if the belt/chain breaks, the motor will simply shut down and not work properly because of the timing being wayy off.. nothing will break, nothing will collide, ur car will be safely towed home with no worries about anything being broken inside. however, most engines are interferance motors. i just hit 80k on my d17 and i have to change the timing belt, you should always be pro active on an interferance engine, do not take it for granted or ull have to be dropping in that dreamy k-series sooner than u would want to. remember this people, it will ALWYAS cause damage in an interferance type motor.
Old 10-03-2007
Registered!!

Dticalman81 is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Timing Belt? What if it Breaks??

nice. great points.