Auto X/Road Racing Auto X and Road Course Forum

Porsche Aims for BMW i8 With Upcoming 911 Hybrid

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2015
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Turbocharger11 is an unknown quantity at this point
Porsche Aims for BMW i8 With Upcoming 911 Hybrid

Porsche poured its development efforts into the 918 Spyder hybrid supercar and is now turning its attention to the 911. Accordingt to Autocar, the German automaker is currently working on a next-generation, plug-in hybrid of the 911 that could see production in the coming years.High Performance Racing Parts

There is nothing that’s ready for production just yet, but they are moving ahead with studies to see if they can make the car a reality. One reason it makes sense for Porsche to pursue more hybrid cars is fuel economy regulations your average supercar is loath to meet.

Another reason for one or more viable hybrid supercars is other manufacturers are already going down that route. Most notably is the BMW i8, which would be a hot contender against a Porsche 911 Hybrid variant. There’s also a new boxer 4-cylinder set to debut in the Cayman and Boxster, which would likely be the engine that would see adaptation for the 911.

There’s nothing to say that the 4-cylinder electric hybrid set-up they use in a 911 couldn’t be used in the Boxster or Cayman, giving even more fuel-efficient yet performance oriented options for Porsche owners. Regardless of which cars they choose to take in a hybrid direction next, we’ll still be waiting for several years to see the results ready for the road.High Performance Racing Parts,Engine Parts,Tuning Parts