Introduce Yourself! New member to the site? Stop in here and introduce yourself and make some friends. Strangers = danger!!

An introduction (and a story) :)

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2015
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
viperGTS is an unknown quantity at this point
An introduction (and a story) :)

Hello Civicforums! This is my first post on the site. I've been a lurker for a couple of month's now.

I'd like to introduce myself (and tell a little story)!

I bought my first car back in November 2013 after searching a while on Craigslist. I kept looking back and forth between Honda's and Toyota's, but I ultimately decided on buying a 1994 Honda Accord EX. It needed some work, but I loved the car and had no regrets buying it!

Fast forward to September 2014, and a tragedy occurred: my lovely Honda was stolen while I was at a McDonald's. Even worse, it was the ONE time I didn't put my wheel lock on! I was devastated, torn even, and I felt like I would never see my Accord again. I began to look online at stolen car stories. There were some good ones, some bad ones, but I ultimately felt like I would never see it again.

I needed a new car within the week because school was about to start for me, so my parents, sister and I began to look around for cars to find. We originally met up with a guy selling his 1995 Civic EX for $2200, but it had a lot of issues he didn't mention in his posting (such as an ABS light, which he said didn't matter because the car was too slow - BS!), even more than my stolen Accord. While my dad and I were test driving it, we told the seller how we felt about the car, and told him we were no longer interested. He insisted that we wouldn't find a great car at that price, but I knew he was wrong. We kept searching.

Eventually, we stumbled upon a very clean and nice looking Honda Civic, a 2004 EX sedan model to be exact. It was in a nice burgundy color too! I saw a "For Sale" sign taped to it, and when I got up closer to see the price, I couldn't believe it: it was being sold for $2500! I thought this price was too good to be true.

We knock on the seller's door and meet him. He was a very nice guy, and he even showed us his 2015 Civic, a beauty I must say! He also invited us into his house and we learned a bit about him. We discussed the car with him, and the only flaws were a minor coolant and oil leak (which hasn't impacted the car in any way even to this day), and the mileage: 270,000 miles, which I was initially shocked by, but my dad insisted it wasn't a problem (and it wasn't!).

We told the man about our situation (how my car got stolen, how I needed a new one ASAP) and he was very understanding about it. My mom, being the negotiator she is, convinced the man to sell it to us for $2300, and at the end of it all, I was sold on the car. It turns out that the man had a lot of history in it: he traveled to Berkeley often and had to go through a divorce with his wife, and used the car to visit his kids. He seemed sad to see the car go, but I know he will be pleased to know the car is in good hands.

After buying the car, we said our goodbyes. On the way home, I received a phone call from the Long Beach PD; I wasn't sure why they were calling me. I answered the phone, and they told me some amazing news: My Accord was found! I wasn't annoyed either, because I just wanted to know my car was safe and sound, which it was!

This post is getting lengthy, but I'll make a long story short: the Accord was damaged, but still drivable. I drove it home (the poor thing was super loud ) and thankfully made it.

Today, I am now the proud owner of two awesome Honda's. I definitely consider myself a Honda guy, and I'm actually on the eye out for a new one.

Thank you for reading my post! Honda for life!
Old 07-27-2015
Prelude Owner

Received 303 Likes on 214 Posts
GolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to behold
Re: An introduction (and a story) :)

Welcome.

That's great that your Accord was found. Hopefully they catch the people that did it. Your Civic has a chipped key so it should be more difficult to steal. I think you will enjoy the Civic, should be a little more nimble then the Accord.
Old 07-27-2015
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

cool story, welcome to the site!
Old 07-27-2015
PITA Admin
Administrator

Received 1,443 Likes on 1,198 Posts
sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

glad you got it back - sometimes it's hard to part, especially if it's not planned...

welcome and take a look around if you find any kind of issues - there's lots of stuff already covered in the site (14 years in the market means most of the things that could happen to a civic already happened and it's recorded somewhere here...)

also, at every 100k, look for the timing belt to be changed.

Overheating? look into the sticky in the mechanical Issues/problems section...

check also for the compliance bushing in the front suspension...
Old 07-27-2015
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
viperGTS is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by GolNat
Welcome.

That's great that your Accord was found. Hopefully they catch the people that did it. Your Civic has a chipped key so it should be more difficult to steal. I think you will enjoy the Civic, should be a little more nimble then the Accord.
It's been a while, but yeah, I hope they're been caught. It was a terrible week leading up to it being found. Thank you!

Originally Posted by ezone
cool story, welcome to the site!
Thank you!

Originally Posted by sdaidoji
glad you got it back - sometimes it's hard to part, especially if it's not planned...

welcome and take a look around if you find any kind of issues - there's lots of stuff already covered in the site (14 years in the market means most of the things that could happen to a civic already happened and it's recorded somewhere here...)

also, at every 100k, look for the timing belt to be changed.

Overheating? look into the sticky in the mechanical Issues/problems section...

check also for the compliance bushing in the front suspension...
Yeah, I was quickly accepting that I might have never seen it again. I'm so glad it was found. It still has some issues (like terrible MPG, and it shakes a lot), but it's my first car and it has performed reliably otherwise.

Excellent tips, by the way! Thank you for the welcome!