Honda Civic Forum

Honda Civic Forum (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/)
-   Engine Swaps (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/79-engine-swaps)
-   -   A New HICUP to stump the panel. RSX Injectors + boosted Civic + Missing Link=CEL.... (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/79-engine-swaps/169190-new-hicup-stump-panel-rsx-injectors-boosted-civic-missing-link-cel.html)

dezod 08-17-2004 02:18 PM

A New HICUP to stump the panel. RSX Injectors + boosted Civic + Missing Link=CEL....

Why? You might ask.........Lemme explain.

Opto pointed out this VERY obvious point that may have been overlooked. Here is a snippett of the convo him and I had:

D: "Yup RSX injectors are installed. And I used the injection correction factor on the e-manage too."

O: "What, like 240 to 340? How did it idle? I can't wait..."

D: "With Denso Iridium IK20's and the RSX injectors it actually idles fine. Not a problem. I think any larger it would have had a problem."

O: "Good to hear - that was a concern of mine. I don't think people understand how sensitive our ECU is to change. If you put too large of an injector in - you will throw a the "barometric sensor" error code (the ecu has a pressure sensor built into it - if the MAP sensor and the baro sensor are too far apart in measurements - it throws a code)..."

D: "You know what though. I did have a Map/Baro Sensor CEL that came on. All I did was erase the code, clean out the filter on the ML and voila! Done. BTW, my filter was crazy dirty on it. So I think that had to do with it."

O: "Yeah, sounds like your sensors weren't jivin'..."

Key: D=Dezod O=Opto

So now this Hiccup seems to be the last bit to overcome. Anyone have any ideas on this panel stumper? :flush:

dezod 08-17-2004 03:06 PM

Forgot To Mention The E-manage Is In The Mix.

HyaBoosta 08-17-2004 03:18 PM

after you cleaned out the missing link did it throw the code again?

dezod 08-17-2004 03:23 PM

Originally Posted by HyaBoosta
after you cleaned out the missing link did it throw the code again?

Not immediately. I cleaned it out last night. Drove it on 7.2 PSI. Not probs. Went some where this morning, boosted a couple times...No problems. Car sat for couple hours......started it up to go to lunch, CEL. Same code. :screwy:

02fpcivic 08-17-2004 03:23 PM

yeah I plan on running RC injectors so I hope Im not gunna get screwed.

HyaBoosta 08-17-2004 03:25 PM

have you tried disconnecting the injector harness and removing the code, then trying it?

02fpcivic 08-17-2004 03:28 PM

will we be able to run sub injectors instead of larger injectors or will it do the same thing?

dezod 08-17-2004 03:28 PM

have you tried disconnecting the injector harness and removing the code, then trying it?

It's not the injector harness in the e-manage causing it. The error is a MAP sensor/Baro error. Has nothing to do with duty cycle or anything. The CEL is rather spuratic too. Seems to occur on cold start-ups when driving in Vaccumm. Not even boost. That's what leads me to believe that the injectors are the cause.

HyaBoosta 08-17-2004 03:30 PM

Has anyone run the rsx injectors yet at all?

dezod 08-17-2004 03:31 PM

Has anyone run the rsx injectors yet at all?

I think I may be the first to daily drive it. Opto just test fitted it.

HyaBoosta 08-17-2004 03:33 PM

now that i think of it I know someone that is running them. Let me see if i can get a hold of them and find out how they are doing it.

opto_isolator 08-17-2004 03:34 PM

Just did a quick search - there were two folks on here that had the error code - C2i0v0i1C, and johnnyblaze. I think C2i0v0i1C fixed it eventually however....Not sure how (his posts don't say). Might be best to PM him.

02fpcivic 08-17-2004 03:37 PM

when it trips the code does it go into safe mode or run crappy or what? Maybe the ML is not functioning properly? Stupid cars lol

dezod 08-17-2004 03:47 PM

Originally Posted by 02fpcivic
when it trips the code does it go into safe mode or run crappy or what? Maybe the ML is not functioning properly? Stupid cars lol

Maybe. I may take another off the shelf and put it on instead (once they come in). Otherwise, it idles fine. It will take a small amount of boost circa 2-3 lbs then sputter.

02fpcivic 08-17-2004 03:51 PM

Yeah doesnt hurt to check

02fpcivic 08-17-2004 03:53 PM

If that doesnt work I have a bid ole sledge hammer that might scare that ECU into doing what you want.

opto_isolator 08-17-2004 04:02 PM

According to the guys at HT that specific error code shouldn't put the ECU into limp mode - not sure what it exactly it does on our cars (could be different than 2000 series civics, even though both are OBDII).

For those that don't know - the error code exists when the MAP voltage and Barometric pressure sensor voltage (located inside of the ECU - IE you can't get at it. As for what it does - it is supposed to compensate fuel trims for altitude changes) vary significantly. I don't know how far they need to be out of whack to throw the code - but the injector change feature MAY be causing it. It might be better to use the MAP voltage correction map in the emanage to control the MAP voltage vs the injector correction feature....that is a possible fix.

The comment that was made about running RC injectors - that still won't do squat. The injectors have nothing to do with it - its the MAP voltage that's causing the CEL.

02fpcivic 08-17-2004 04:23 PM

ok I get the whole idea about the map/baro sensors. From what you say its from the correction feature in the emanage. I believe you are most likely right on that. What I'm not clear on is what the emange does to correct for bigger injectors. I also dont understand how the voltage would be allowed to change so greatly if we are using ML. In an N/A motor, pretty much assuming you will always have a lil vacuum no matter what, maybe when the map sees that there is no negative or positive pressure the computer says WTF is going on. The only thing I can picture in my head is that when the ecu senses no vaccuum(under boost)even with the ML blocking possive pressure readings it doesnt mix with the ecu because the voltage is just a lil to far out of whack. I am probably way off but maybe I can spark an idea in someone's head. I dont have a lot of good ones today

Havok2k1 08-17-2004 04:32 PM

Might it be an e-manage configuration issue?

supermex 08-17-2004 04:38 PM

I have a similar problem but I'm not boosting.
I got the code after I changed the intake manifold.
When I erase the code it goes away then after I turn the car off and I started again it and drivre it will come back again as I'm driving but it wont afect performance.

I did noticed that my EVAP two way valve is not connected to anything.

Is it better just to change the computer all together for a universal unit?
Radder than trying to correct ours?

02fpcivic 08-17-2004 04:43 PM

huh, all my intake manifolds never tripped the code, weird. I had the evap valve connected though.

supermex 08-17-2004 05:49 PM

Originally Posted by 02fpcivic
huh, all my intake manifolds never tripped the code, weird. I had the evap valve connected though.

Sorry forgot to mention the also replace the throttle body and the EVAP is not connected to it.

Still wonder if changing the computer all togeteher could be a better route.
I'll be boosting soon and I'll like to know.

02fpcivic 08-17-2004 06:20 PM

Yeah Ill be boosting soon too I hope we get the bugs out

MadWheel 08-17-2004 07:15 PM

Dezod, have you tried running the injectors with the injector correction feature off? I know that C2o1 civic (whatever the sn is) has his running without codes so we should be pm'ing him i think.

dezod 08-17-2004 07:29 PM

Originally Posted by opto_isolator
According to the guys at HT....It might be better to use the MAP voltage correction map in the emanage to control the MAP voltage vs the injector correction feature....that is a possible fix.

What MAP sensor correction map Opto?

opto_isolator 08-17-2004 08:03 PM

Originally Posted by dezod
What MAP sensor correction map Opto?

http://www.mohdparts.com/emanage/man...manual/025.JPG

Sorry - its called "airflow adjustment map."

dezod 08-17-2004 08:08 PM

Originally Posted by opto_isolator
http://www.mohdparts.com/emanage/man...manual/025.JPG

Sorry - its called "airflow adjustment map."

I have an entire map of airflow adjustment under WOT and partial throttle. I turned off the injector correction feature. Let's see if that does the trick.

dezod 08-18-2004 08:20 AM

Well...........still waiting on the verdict. Went for a couple drives.....

HyaBoosta 08-18-2004 08:50 AM

I got the fingers crossed for you.

dezod 08-18-2004 08:53 AM

I got the fingers crossed for you.

Thanks a lot Hya. :tup: