Honda Civic Forum

Honda Civic Forum (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/)
-   Chicago (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/78-chicago)
-   -   Headlight Day/Auto-X Prep 5/27 @ Boost_Junkie Automotive Garage (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/78-chicago/261496-headlight-day-auto-x-prep-5-27-boost_junkie-automotive-garage.html)

Boost_Junkie 05-15-2006 09:47 PM

Headlight Day/Auto-X Prep 5/27 @ Boost_Junkie Automotive Garage

ok so i know rhein and sujak wanna do their headlights...anyone else? haha...we'll talk about it in here...

when? anyone else wanna meet up i know jay and octane live close by to my place...btw im in Geneva, IL...as we get closer to setting this up...ill give you all directions :rofl:

What You Need per person:
-Your Headlights/Car
-1 large can of your choice high temp paint, or i have my gunmetal flake
-1 tube waterproof clear silicone
-1 disposible flat head screwdriver

and bring your hair dryer...

jay78 05-15-2006 10:16 PM

Originally Posted by Boost_Junkie
ok so i know rhein and sujak wanna do their headlights...anyone else? haha...we'll talk about it in here...

when? anyone else wanna meet up i know jay and octane live close by to my place...btw im in Geneva, IL...as we get closer to setting this up...ill give you all directions :rofl:

What You Need per person:
-Your Headlights/Car
-1 large can of your choice high temp paint, or i have my gunmetal flake
-1 tube waterproof clear silicone
-1 disposible flat head screwdriver

i live in bartlett by rhein but work in batavia wich is close to Geneva and i am at work 6days a week....
adam i hve liquor store so u come down here...i can try to give u good price
i know in geneva all the store close at 10 we open up to 12.00am midnight
lol

Boost_Junkie 05-15-2006 10:19 PM

i cant deny liqour...

so you cant come down to my place to do your bumper install eh?

well i remember the bumper you bought was urethane, so it bends, it can be shoved inside the cabin of the car...

jay78 05-15-2006 10:22 PM

hum....only day i can comeup is sunday let me know wich sunday rhein and suj coming...i will try to stop in atlest..... ....thankx agin.

i am going home know..see u tomo

Boost_Junkie 05-15-2006 10:24 PM

oh it was said in the suja1 thread that 27th...the 28th sunday is not only memorial day, but the autox...

sorry i forgot to say 27th

if you need help putting on the bumper any sunday, we can set something up seprately...or just do it in the suja1 parking lot @ the meet...haha

cIvIc_xyza 05-16-2006 06:19 AM

i thought ur busy on the 27th adam??

and jayy.. u can go thete after work.. its not like were doing it early in the morning.. and that bumper WILL fit insde

Boost_Junkie 05-16-2006 08:57 AM

naw im free, i said that i was buzy on the 28th (the day after) for the Autox...while doing your guys ish, ill be prepping my car for the autox...

uhh i think you guys should get here by like noon-1, because it takes time to break open the headlights, paint...let it dry...reseal them and reinstall...plus itll be two cars...pretty long process

oh bring extra hair dryers also...i do not believe in the oven method because the lenses are plastic unlike my old car which had glass housings which i did in the oven...

jay78 05-16-2006 11:11 AM

ok so 27th is saturday...i will be working but i will try to get some help at work and try to come in....cuz i need to black out extra headlight that i hve...wich is alrady open....so sand and paint...i will let u know

Octane Joe 05-16-2006 12:10 PM

lol, I would love to come, but ill be in Cincy w/ Hitman and Sare7thgen chillin! It actualy should be a pritty cool weekend, gonna see a local band on fri and they are having an import show on sun at a local drag strip out there, so shane (Hitman) and I were gonna cruze to that, since my kit should be on... soon :evil:

Boost_Junkie 05-16-2006 12:11 PM

jay: sand? i never did that and they are jussst fine...you can sand if you want...

octane:nice...whos those other people? from around here or cincy?

Octane Joe 05-16-2006 12:44 PM

Originally Posted by Boost_Junkie
jay: sand? i never did that and they are jussst fine...you can sand if you want...

octane:nice...whos those other people? from around here or cincy?

Well, Hitman (Shane) is from cincy, and 7thgenSare (Sarah) is from canada, we just talk a lot and decided to chill and take some pics of the vics! Should be fun!

Boost_Junkie 05-16-2006 12:58 PM

what a spread out crowd...

oh well guess its just gonna be rhein, sujak, gucci and i

A03 05-16-2006 01:05 PM

Do you use hair driers to remove the lenses?

I use the oven to get them open. At 350 you will melt little sections of the housing that are touching the metal in the oven.

I'd suggest pre-heating the oven to 300 degrees, once temperature is reached, turn the oven OFF. You will only be using the heat already in the oven to open the assemblies. You must use the room temp cookie sheet under the assembly or you will find melted areas on the assembly from the hot metal in the oven.

Use a cookie baking sheet that was not in the oven (one that is room temperature) and put the assembly onto the cookie sheet with the lens facing upwards, but not putting too much stress on the top mount tab (if you stress it too much under heat, it will bend).

Leave the assembly in the pre-heated (but turned off) oven for about 10 minutes. Take it out, carefully lift the retaining tabs (if applicable) and use screw driver(s) to separate the lens.

A turned off oven at 300 degrees will not harm the lens as long as you don't lay the housing lens-down. Working it open with a hair drier would drive me nuts! Way too much effort and fighting that way. The oven is safe and reliable.

If you paint them, it's best to dry the paint fully before putting the lenses back on. Low temp baking can also be used to help the paint set up faster. When you're done, you can toss in a pizza ;)

jay78 05-16-2006 03:03 PM

adam so i dont need to sand it.....just spray....
what kind of paint did u use

Boost_Junkie 05-16-2006 04:33 PM

theres just so much that can go wrong with our headlights + oven, a heatgun/hair dryer is safer and your best bet although it might take a little longer...

i use hi temp rustoleum gunmetal flaked paint

GucciPimp 05-16-2006 07:40 PM

hey u remember my euro tails i got on tha car i was thinkin bout paintin em to match tha white of my car were do u think i should pick up sum paint that will match real good

jay78 05-16-2006 07:58 PM

lol me too
i got black car and my tails are chrome ...need to be painted black if possibal...
paint it inside or outside ????

cIvIc_xyza 05-16-2006 07:59 PM

if u know how took take the plastic cover off.. yes we can..

jay78 05-16-2006 08:04 PM

is it hard to open tail light naver tired...

cIvIc_xyza 05-16-2006 08:11 PM

never saw someone tried

GucciPimp 05-16-2006 08:24 PM

one of my uncles freinds did it he painted em black from chrome look pretty nice but ive never seen em white i think itll look tight i jus dont no were to get good paint to match

cIvIc_xyza 05-16-2006 08:25 PM

how u take it off???

jay78 05-16-2006 08:30 PM

i guess i am gone try ......i will put my oem back on and mess with my euro lights.....see wat happnes..

cIvIc_xyza 05-16-2006 08:37 PM

okie

GucciPimp 05-16-2006 08:51 PM

yea im not to sure as to how to get it off im guessin its jus liek tha headlights u no jus heat it n peel it off by tha way xyza thnx fo tha ^rep lol

cIvIc_xyza 05-16-2006 08:52 PM

no prob

Boost_Junkie 05-16-2006 09:05 PM

ive never done taillights before, but i have heard that they are more prone to cracking when opening unlike headlights...

but if its a spare set put your stockers on and you can work on them, just not sure if itll come out or not...

but we can sure try

GucciPimp 05-17-2006 03:32 PM

ight sweet yea ill have to whoop my stockers out from tha deep abiss of boxes in tha garage lol but yea immma have to split early i got a thing to do wit da family at 7 i think, so.......if we get to em, we get to em lol
oh yea should i jus go to the dealer to get the official color i need

Boost_Junkie 05-18-2006 08:27 AM

up to you...you mean your stock color? doubt they have it in spray form...just try to find whatever is closest if not i guess