Honda Civic Forum

Honda Civic Forum (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/)
-   Member's Rides (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/46-members-rides)
-   -   Crossfire build work in progress. (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/46-members-rides/331386-crossfire-build-work-progress.html)

sl33pyriceboi 08-25-2010 03:48 AM

Re: Crossfire build work in progress.

one last thing. i promise i will stop educating the general public! promise!!!!

this is for crossfire...

if u truly want epic braking, this is the order of mods:

1. better tires - u really want me to explain on this? in most cases ur brakes can out perform ur tires (friction wise)...(hence ABS...duh?)

2. better brake pads - besides tires, brake pads are whats comming in contact with ur rotor. get good pads that can sustain the heat from the rotor. also good pads will usually bite harder as well.

3. stainless steel brake lines - this will decrease the "sponge" feel and give u a real responsive modulation on ur braking. also under high pressure and high heat, the brake fluid expands...and since stock lines are made of rubber (and remember what happens to rubber when it gets hot..uhh...hotter......it expands easier). so SS lines will help that line expansion...and give you better brake feel.

4. higher quality brake fluid. buy at least DOT 4 certified from a good brand. galfer makes excellent brake fluid. MOTUL RBF600 is very very very good. but cost $20 for 500ml. which is expensive as hell (but thats what i use on my bike). motul RBF660 is even more expensive. at $30 dollars a bottle (500ml). whats the difference? they are all DOT4 certified but the RBF line has a MUCH MUCH MUCH higher dry/wet boiling point and vapor hold. just to name a few.

u wanna go crazy? buy http://www.cyclegear.com/spgm.cfm?L1...=TUC_43-0191_G

$110 dollars a bottle (500ml) why its so expensive is for another discussion.

5. good rotors. for street car/OEM [size] use, BLANK is best. going BBK is a different story (big brake kit)

6. lighter rims/tires. less rotational mass, means more transfer of that kinetic energy from the brakes to the tires.

this is the setup i run: blank OEM rotors (best for our civics, OE size), HAWKS HPS pads (ferro carbon pads. they are epic. do ur research), Stainless steal brake lines from Russell and a fresh bleed system every 6 months.

ive tracked my car on a 105degree day on Willow Springs Race Track and they held better than those with aftermarket rotors in my group.

good night boys and girls. this is my weekly contribution to civicforums from an old member.

Mad Dog Tannen 08-25-2010 04:12 AM

Wow. Thanks for proving my point that cross drilled rotors are garbage. However slotted are not. They still clean the pad and release the small amout of gasses (and heat) that get trapped. The best thing is to get well vented brakes and good pads. Also you forgot something called mechanical advantage when analyzing larger rotors. The larger the rotor the more leverage.

I am glad you did a little reading Mr."sleepy rice boy".

crossfire 08-25-2010 07:27 AM

Well! You guys were right about those rotors being for the back since I didn't catch that when I ordered them for the front. I guess a rear conversion is going to be coming next LOL!

Thanks!

02 D17A1 DX
LORDHELMET
MAD DOG TANNEN

and those who I missed to list for pointing that out to me before I started to work on the front rotors. You guys just saved me a lot of aggravation and time that I would of lost finding out the hard way. This is why a person benefits alot from a community like ours with people giving knowledge and suggestions to people like me. THANKS GUYS!

What would you guys suggest for the front?

What would you think if I got slotted only rotors with EBC green pads?

http://static.summitracing.com/globa...br-522sr_w.jpg

http://static.summitracing.com/globa...-dp21330_w.jpg

02civicsi02 08-25-2010 09:06 AM

That was a long post :lol: but was good information. And like I said most of the drilled rotors are trash cause they can crap and warp cause of the drills make them weaker. But the slotted are not crash, I have had experience with the slotted on the track. I went to a track with regular rotors and hawk hps pads and my rotors got really hot. To where it was hard to break actually. I have been there with my slotted rotors and newer hawk pads and there was a huge difference in braking and they didnt get hot at all. The slotted rotors are very good rotors to use

crossfire 08-25-2010 12:27 PM

Originally Posted by Caymanized (Post 4485967)
Wow, nice indeed! What models did the 5 spokes come off of? I am mad in love with the wheels and progress so far.

I'm really not sure what model came off of since the kid sold me the car with those. They're running 185/60/14 right now and don't like the ride. I noticed that the front rim wasn't even balanced and was making the car shake above 70mph so now I need to get them rebalanced and tires replaced. The front before I put the new springs in with a 1.4 drop instead the 2.00 or so drop the kit had gave the tire mad inner camber wear. Now I need to replace all tires plus give the car an alighnment before I do anything else.

sl33pyriceboi 08-25-2010 01:29 PM

crossfire, i would go with a decent brand name rotor like powerslots, brembo or something.

http://carphotos.cardomain.com/ride_...0050_large.jpg

if i had to get modded rotors, i would get slotted over drilled, they do provide some advantages. they act as little razor blades and clean off ur pad with every swipe...but remember, as a result of that, u pads will be eaten up much faster than if u did not have them. the choice is yours.

as far as pads go, ive used axxis, EBC green stuff, HAWK HPS and HAWK HPS+

the HPS+ are by far the hardest biting but take a little time to heat up and they are loud as hell when you brake...i later found out that these pads are more geared towards race useage.

my fav and personal pick is the HAWKs HPS pads. they dont need that initial warm up to perform at its best, they bite hard and i have never had brake fade problems with it (w/ 2 track days), they are quiet, and they last quite a while.

ive used EBC green and the axxis metal masters and were not impressed with them very much.

also, remember that slotted rotors will eat up the pads

02civicsi02 08-25-2010 02:19 PM

^ The brembo rotors are great rotors and as well as powerslot to. I have the powerslot rotors and love them.

Mad Dog Tannen 08-25-2010 06:00 PM

I have heard nothing but good things about the EBC pads. EBC makes good rotors too. Definately slotted would be good. Brembos are always good too. That thing is going to look sexy.

Caymanized 08-25-2010 07:20 PM

Hey, guess my comment got hidden amass the brake bashing, but what kind of wheels are those, and what year/trim did they come off of?

sl33pyriceboi 08-26-2010 03:08 AM

Originally Posted by Mad Dog Tannen (Post 4486107)
I have heard nothing but good things about the EBC pads. EBC makes good rotors too. Definately slotted would be good. Brembos are always good too. That thing is going to look sexy.

the pads were alright. they they didnt last too long canyon running tho. thats why i didnt like them too much. had them on for about 15k miles then wen with HPS pads.

as for the rotor, i cannot speak from experience so i dont know. i had EBC rotors for my R1 tho, and i think those are just decent quality. nothing spectacular.

Caymanized 08-26-2010 03:12 AM

As long as it does the job required of it, it's a good part. Lifespan on said part is a whole different subject though. If you get brakes that stop you incredibly well, but they don't last very long, then it would behoove you to be doing autosports for a living so that you can afford a 5k setup. I am a commuter, so I'm plenty happy with Wearever pads and stock plain rotors :D

sl33pyriceboi 08-26-2010 03:31 AM

HPS > EBC green stuff. bites harder and maintains a harder bite.

but thats just my opinion when i tried em both out.

u want a really crazy bite, get HPS+ pads.

Caymanized 08-26-2010 03:34 AM

What do HPS pads usually retail for? I plan on the SS braided lines, but that's a whole new venture :)

crossfire 08-26-2010 12:26 PM

Originally Posted by Caymanized (Post 4486117)
Hey, guess my comment got hidden amass the brake bashing, but what kind of wheels are those, and what year/trim did they come off of?

I really don't know what model car they came off of since they came on the car when I bought them. I just resprayed them since the guy had them black and the paint was really crap.

crossfire 08-26-2010 12:46 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Well guys! I just got the car back from the shop that done some work to it and found out some bad news. I had the car in the shop for 4 New Tires, Alignment, and A/C charge this morning. I got a call from the guy stating that the A/C system didn't want to charge due to being clogged somewhere. He told me that the low side being charged wouldn't go and stayed at 90 PSI without filling the system.

To me it sounds to be the expansion valve that might be stuck closed and that's why it's not charging enough to kick the A/C on. What do you guys think?

When I got the car I though the tires had some decent meat on them and didn't think I would need tires but after taking them off I noticed huge negative chamber wear to a point where the tires were bold on the inner side. This happened due to the kid dropping the car 2 - 2 1/2 inches using those crappy eBay coils. I'm telling you some people shouldn't be working / moding cars if they don't know what they're doing. The tires were so bad that as soon as I hit 65 mph and up man did the front SHAKE!. And now after everything nice and smooth cruising around 85 mpg.

So new fresh tires 185/65/14, valves, balance on all sides. Wee!

Attachment 104825

Attachment 104826

Attachment 104827

Caymanized 08-26-2010 01:37 PM

Lookin good man! Can't wait to see more upgrades. Whats next?

crossfire 08-26-2010 01:53 PM

Most likely if I can't get the A/C to work it's coming out. Now if that comes out then P/S and cruise control is coming out as well. The car did come with a CAI, Exhaust, and a Front DC Strut Bar so I'll complete that with a DC header and get it chipped and tuned and see what comes out.

lordhelmet 08-26-2010 03:52 PM

You're crazy man. I could never go without my cruise control. Why are you taking it out?

crossfire 08-26-2010 06:31 PM

I don't even use the thing. My job is like 5 miles away from my house and the road I use has like 20 lights. I can barely get the car to 50 before I have to get on my brakes. If I travel long distance I take the wifes focus.

sl33pyriceboi 08-27-2010 03:15 AM

Originally Posted by Caymanized (Post 4486205)
What do HPS pads usually retail for? I plan on the SS braided lines, but that's a whole new venture :)

they are HAWK HPS plads. the ferro carbon ones. (for our civic there is the HPS and HPS plus) dont get the HPS+

you will love SS lines. i think they are simply amazzzzzzzzzzzzing. really stiffens up the pedal.

Caymanized 08-27-2010 04:03 AM

Yeah, I HATE spongy pedal. I like to know I'm going to STOP if I even have to reach for it. Kind of like a gun, buy a .40 caliber or larger, because you want it to do the job it's designed for :) HPS pads and SS lines, is there a decent place to buy all this stuff at? I have been pretty adamant on Andysautosport.com but if y'all know somewhere cheaper, I could sure use the guidance. Sorry to threadjack and be such a noob. :)

[/threadjack]

Caymanized 08-27-2010 05:56 AM

Did a little research for you and the best I can come up with is that the wheels you have are off of a 95 CRX Del Sol SI. Kudos!

sl33pyriceboi 08-27-2010 05:11 PM

Originally Posted by Caymanized (Post 4486359)
Yeah, I HATE spongy pedal. I like to know I'm going to STOP if I even have to reach for it. Kind of like a gun, buy a .40 caliber or larger, because you want it to do the job it's designed for :) HPS pads and SS lines, is there a decent place to buy all this stuff at? I have been pretty adamant on Andysautosport.com but if y'all know somewhere cheaper, I could sure use the guidance. Sorry to threadjack and be such a noob. :)

[/threadjack]

i really looked around when i got my hps but ebay was the cheapest. i got my brand new for 50shipped (front pair)

i have an 01 em2.

crossfire 08-27-2010 07:29 PM

Originally Posted by Caymanized (Post 4486365)
Did a little research for you and the best I can come up with is that the wheels you have are off of a 95 CRX Del Sol SI. Kudos!

It's good to know at least where they might have came from. If they are from a 95 CRX Del Sol SI Sweet! :sweet: Thanks for the lookup.

I'm not really digging the white right now since they get dirty quick as hell. :shake:

What color would you guys think would be better...

Black spokes with white lip. . . . Or . . . . Maybe... Red spokes with white lip.

Caymanized 08-27-2010 07:34 PM

I say Poilished with a black lip. Unique to say the least :D If you have a good Hi-res pic, I can photoshop it for you.

crossfire 08-27-2010 07:53 PM

1 Attachment(s)
If you download this same pic from page 1 you should be able to chop it. This is my first eva so here it is.

Attachment 104810

Caymanized 08-27-2010 07:58 PM

Not bad, let me have a stab at it XD

crossfire 08-27-2010 08:04 PM

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by Caymanized (Post 4486518)
I say Poilished with a black lip. Unique to say the least :D If you have a good Hi-res pic, I can photoshop it for you.

You can't really polish the whole rim since the middle of the rim has a plastic cover that goes over the lug nuts / axel nuts...

I know that my painting to illustrate sucks but it's the best I can do to explain.

Attachment 104809

lordhelmet 08-27-2010 08:37 PM

Just do an oem silver color. I think the lug nuts are exposed on those wheels so you just have to paint the center caps.

Caymanized 08-27-2010 08:58 PM

3 Attachment(s)
True that... Paint it :D Here's my rendition. Not my best work... but it was too pixelated.