Honda Civic Forum

Honda Civic Forum (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/)
-   Member's Rides (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/46-members-rides)
-   -   Can you help me figure out this noise? (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/46-members-rides/310367-can-you-help-me-figure-out-noise.html)

Eyger 09-13-2008 08:05 PM

Can you help me figure out this noise?

2 Attachment(s)
Since I just replaced the Input shaft bearing in my transmission, I no longer hear that annoying rattling/scraping sound that came from the bad bearing.

Now that there's no noise coming from the transmission, I can hear something else coming from the engine bay. It sounds like a metal fluttering noise, almost like the sound of another bearing. I can hear the noise on two occasions, one, when I'm driving in gear and I let off the gas and just let the car coast down the street in gear, I hear the noise. And Two, when Im just parked in neutral and I rev my engine, as the rpms fall I can hear the same noise.

I got under the hood and revved it up. I think I found where the noise is coming from. Pictures attached....

Sooooo, what is that thing and what does it do? Think it's something I can just grease? Or replace myself?

Any comments or info welcome and appreciated.

THANKS!

https://www.civicforums.com/forums/a...1&d=1221354296

https://www.civicforums.com/forums/a...1&d=1221354296

tfnaaf 09-13-2008 08:36 PM

Re: Can you help me figure out this noise?

power steering pump, not realistically serviceable but fairly easy to replace

FGCOUPE 09-13-2008 09:07 PM

It sounds like a metal fluttering noise, almost like the sound of another bearing. I can hear the noise on two occasions, one, when I'm driving in gear and I let off the gas and just let the car coast down the street in gear, I hear the noise. And Two, when Im just parked in neutral and I rev my engine, as the rpms fall I can hear the same noise.
i may be wrong here (without hearing it myself but from your statement to me sounds more like a throw out bearing?)

Eyger 09-13-2008 10:01 PM

^Well I know it's not the throwout because I just got it replaced maybe 3-4 months ago when I got the clutch and flywheel in. That one comes with the clutch right? Im almost 100 percent sure it did.

Not to mention that it really really sounds like it's coming from the right side of the engine bay, almost 100 percent sure it's (what Tfnaaf says is the power steering pump ) that thing on the right.

Edit: Also the noise doesn't change at all what so ever when depressing the clutch or not. (If i read correctly ) the DIY diagnose tranny noise here said that if the throwout bearing is bad, then you will hear a noise when the clutch is pressed all the way down. For me, I heard the noise when I wasn't pressing the clutch at all, then pressed it in, it went away, input shaft bearing. So then I replaced it and it went away.

Eyger 09-13-2008 10:04 PM

Originally Posted by tfnaaf (Post 4344847)
power steering pump, not realistically serviceable but fairly easy to replace

Sweet thanks for the info.

Hondapartscheap.com wants 250 bucks for the whole assembly.

Think I can just grease it up?

Has anyone does anything like this before?

Edit: The bearing is like 9 dollars, do you think It can be replaced? (instead of buying a new assembly)

Eyger 09-13-2008 11:23 PM

bomerman suggested that the belt needs to be tightened. I've got a chilton manual, but it doesn't say much about it. How do you know when it's tight enough? are their specs for how tight it should be?

FGCOUPE 09-13-2008 11:34 PM

press on the belt at mid point...
it should deflect approx 8-12mm (1/3" - 1/2")

tfnaaf 09-13-2008 11:48 PM

2 Attachment(s)
here is the alldata info on how to R and R and rebuild if your interested :)

https://www.civicforums.com/forums/a...1&d=1221367561

https://www.civicforums.com/forums/a...1&d=1221367561

Eyger 09-14-2008 12:14 AM

Thanks for the great PDF's

So I went out there and tried loosening, and tightening the adjustment screw, and the noise never went away, it just changed. when I tightened it as far as I could by hand, it changed from making the fluttering/squeaking sound as the rpms dropped, to making the noise when the rpms went up and down.

I don't know how to measure it, there's all kinds of other stuff in the way.

If I just keep tightening untill the noise goes away, can I do that? Or is that a bad idea?

speedfoos 09-14-2008 02:47 AM

Stop. Before you **** with the PS pump, take the belt off and see if the car still makes the noise when you run the car. If it goes away, then continue on with trouble-shooting the pump, if it doesn't then we've opened up another can of of worms.

The pump is semi-rebuildable. My pulley nut spun off last year so I had to replace both the pulley and the spindle. I think it cost me all of $16 for a new pulley, shaft/spindle and nut. Taking the pump apart isn't very difficult and might be worth it.

When was the last time you changed the belt? How old is the fluid and is the level good?

Cleft_Asunder 09-14-2008 12:22 PM

I think I've got the same problem as OP. I will try the no PS belt idea before I jump to conclusions. Does the noise happen most often while in gear coasting down a bumpy road by chance? The way I describe my sound is that it sounds like a flap of loose sheet metal. But I've checked all my exhaust pipe sheet metal "shields" and even taken some off, but it didn't solve the problem. And yes, my sound seems to be coming from the same area as you describe. And I notice it right when I gently rev it by hand to X point, then when it revs down it makes a burst of that sound.

I feel like there's always something to fix.

Eyger 09-14-2008 01:38 PM

I'm going to continue to tackle this today.

I'm like 99.9repeating percent sure that it's coming from the PS pump belt assembly, because when I rev the engine I put my ear up to the pump and it sounds like it's coming from there.

I'll try the beltless idea and go from there.

nsxvtec 09-14-2008 10:35 PM

[QUOTE=Eyger;4344843]Since I just replaced the Input shaft bearing in my transmission, I no longer hear that annoying rattling/scraping sound that came from the bad bearing.

I know that you are 99% sure that the PSP is the culprit, but what you are describing sounds to me like a exhaust heat shield that is beginning to act up.
As was previously said, remove the PSP belt and listen for the noise.
If it is still there then it is not the pump, pulley or belt.

Eyger 09-14-2008 10:52 PM

^Cool thanks for the idea.

OK! so here's what happened!!

I took the power steering belt off, and yeah I could still hear the noise!

The noise was still coming from the same area, and what's right near there? The Alternator belt. So I got under there and loosened one of the mounting bolts, and fought like hell to get the other one loose, but nope, even after soaking it with pb blaster, didn't budge a single millimeter. I didn't know what to do so I just thought I would tighten everything up and tackle it some other time. (I had other things to do.) After I tightened everything up I jumped in the car turned it on and.....

The noise is gone!

Ha ha I thought is was funny because I feel like I didn't do anything. I tried to adjust it, but couldn't then it's fixed! Weird....

I'm guessing whatever I did was just enough to get it to shut up.

Sweet. Now I'm happy with my car again. It hasn't been like this for about a year or two! crazy!

nsxvtec 09-25-2008 05:35 PM

Sounds like the alternator belt was the culprit.

It will prob return in a short time.

Next time it surfaces, with some water in a spray bottle, wet down the suspected belt with the water spray while the engine is running.
If it goes away for a short while there is your culprit.

Sounds like you need to change your belts anyway, AC, PS and Alt in one shot for piece of mind.

Eyger 09-25-2008 05:46 PM

^So your suggesting that it's the belt itself? Not the tension? If so then yes I would just replace them all for the hell of it, to make the noise go away.

theman 04-28-2010 11:23 AM

Hey guys i'm having the same symptoms and i'll try the no belt to see if the noise goes away , hoping it's just the belt not the pump

thanks