Honda Civic Forum

Honda Civic Forum (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/)
-   Member's Rides (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/46-members-rides)
-   -   Kind of a strange question (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/46-members-rides/302954-kind-strange-question.html)

Kwheels 12-15-2007 08:12 AM

Kind of a strange question

ok so i cleaned my car off and stored it before the weather got bad, its in my garage now but theres a spot on the drivers side door and it kind of ran down the side of the door...i dont know what it is but it dryed on there and it wouldnt come off when i sprayed it....how should i go about getting this off with out scratching the shit out of my paint?....thought someone might be able to give me an idea

speedfoos 12-15-2007 08:54 AM

Re: Kind of a strange question

Pics? Are we talking about a water spot or something like that?

I would get some finishing compound and just lightly take it out with that. Trick to that stuff is to let the compound do the work and not use gorilla strength to rub the gunk - and clearcoat - off.

gearbox 12-15-2007 10:00 AM

some kind of paint cleaner like meguiars, followed by polish and wax.

greeen01civic4d 12-15-2007 11:14 AM

try rubbing compound and some good old fashioned elbow grease, followed by what gearbox said

Kwheels 12-15-2007 12:06 PM

ok thanks now my next question is, its winter here (dont know if that makes a diffrence) i sprayed my car but couldnt soap clean it cause it was cold and had to be done quick....its fairly clean theres jsut some water spots would i be able to hand wash it with a cloth without scratching the paint, and then wax it?

J Casanova 12-15-2007 12:17 PM

ive always used acetone in the past to get tree sap and smears out of paint. some people are horrified by this so dont try it if you're scared. and i would only recommend this if youve tried everything else. just use microfiber towelettes and rinse well with water and polish/wax after.

lordhelmet 12-15-2007 12:20 PM

Acetone on paint. I imagine that you are going to hear it for that one.

J Casanova 12-15-2007 05:18 PM

Originally Posted by lordhelmet (Post 4271819)
Acetone on paint. I imagine that you are going to hear it for that one.

ive been doing it for years with never a negative result. just spray the area with water first and keep a soaked rag(soaked with water) and a dry roll of paper towels next to you. like i said spray the area with water, then get a microfiber towel with a SMALL amount of acetone on it, rub it lightly until its gone, then wipe with the water rag and dry with paper a paper towel. like freaking magic.

gearbox 12-15-2007 11:15 PM

well yea its not really on the paint, more like on the clear coat. it would dissolve actual paint fairly quickly.