Honda Civic Forum

Honda Civic Forum (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/)
-   Member's Rides (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/46-members-rides)
-   -   Tanabe Exhaust, too big or just right? (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/46-members-rides/209490-tanabe-exhaust-too-big-just-right.html)

drew22mader 04-26-2005 11:32 AM

Tanabe Exhaust, too big or just right?

I was looking at this: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...969409575&rd=1 and i was wondering if the exhaust is too big for my car, mine isn't a turbo, but i wasn't for sure if this was for turbo or normal asperated cars. It ends in 3 hours and I'm wanting to get it if i can. Could someone help me out and tell me whether or not it will work on my car.

Blahman2 04-26-2005 11:40 AM

Unless you plan on getting a turbo, don't get this.

Blahman2 04-26-2005 11:41 AM

also, you'll need custom pipe... this is only a muffler

Shifty 04-26-2005 11:47 AM

it depends, i dont think that its too big for an N/A, im mean its only the rear section, now if you were going to buy like the complete exhaust with larger diameter piping (2.5 and up...(?)) then i would recommed that you dont buy that, but since its only the rear i dont think that it would be too bad. Its a good deal too....but get an estimate for the piping that you would need since its only a rear section. Hope this helps

drew22mader 04-26-2005 12:00 PM

Well i call my local exhaust shop and they said they would charge me 45 to put it on, that includes hangers too. He said if i wanted to go louder he could run new piping and do something with the resinators. So should i buy this or not buy it?

Blahman2 04-26-2005 12:18 PM

Originally Posted by drew22mader
Well i call my local exhaust shop and they said they would charge me 45 to put it on, that includes hangers too. He said if i wanted to go louder he could run new piping and do something with the resinators. So should i buy this or not buy it?

I say no. Just get a full exhaust. Or an apexi muffler and custom pipe. You don't want crimped pipe... You want mandrel bent also.

drew22mader 04-26-2005 12:22 PM

I don't have the money to afford a full exhaust, and the Apexi muffler sounds to raspy, i want the lower sound. And if i want it louder they can make a custom exhaust, and they dont crimp the pipe.

Blahman2 04-26-2005 12:26 PM

I don't have the money to afford a full exhaust, and the Apexi muffler sounds to raspy, i want the lower sound. And if i want it louder they can make a custom exhaust, and they dont crimp the pipe.

Apexi doesn't sound raspy if its a full exhaust.

drew22mader 04-26-2005 12:28 PM

I like the Tanabe exhaust though, i like the sound of it. I need to know if this exhaust would be ok to put on my car.

Blahman2 04-26-2005 12:36 PM

It'll work... With modification... You don't want to run a 3 inch pipe though, that'll make you lose power. You need a 2.25 inch pipe. See if you can find one like that. If not, go turbo! Just cause your exhaust told you to! lol

civicvtec1ps 04-26-2005 02:10 PM

Why waste money on muffler?
Just save up and get catback later on.

Welded muffler on rear axleback with stock b pipe won't ever sound good.

Hurts2bStock 04-26-2005 02:14 PM

loud car with less than 200 hp is ghey IMO

drew22mader 04-26-2005 02:23 PM

I'm going with the muffler and doin custom piping. Then cold air intake and headers.

Blahman2 04-26-2005 02:30 PM

I'm going with the muffler and doin custom piping. Then cold air intake and headers.

Whooooa You'll have a bad ass ride then :hithead:

drew22mader 04-26-2005 02:35 PM

Man what is your problem? He said to wait and get a cat back exhaust, and i said i was going for custom piping. You push the Apexi exhaust with custom piping but say the Tanabe isn't what i want. Blahman2 bad ass right? Not sure what your talking about.

Blahman2 04-26-2005 02:39 PM

That muffler is made for a turbo... It'll either be too loud... or take away power.

drew22mader 04-26-2005 02:51 PM

Its the rear section though, so i will just go with the axle back, SHIFTY said he done the same thing and it didn't take away anything, he said it would be fine for a N/A

Hurts2bStock 04-26-2005 03:06 PM

Is noise you only goal for spending 300 bucks? if so then yes get the exaust

if you want a car thats a bit more fun to drive or looks better than spend it doing some diy's like;
black out your headlights cost 8 dollars
tighten the throtle cable $0 dollars
K&N cone filter with home depot short ram tube like 90 tops
if they dont match get a body shop to paint your mirrors $150
lowering springs $150 to start

my brain is blank but IMO there are way better ways to spend $300 bucks in a Vic. The muffler can be welded on to your car and make it loud with no power gained and it is your money so go for it cause it will make you happy and thats all that matters :_beer:

drew22mader 04-26-2005 03:12 PM

Its not $300, its 125.00 for the Tanabe Muffler.
And i'm going to clear my headlights $0
EX Model Mirrors match
Coil Overs 199.99

So its not like i'm just spending $300 on the exhaust. Don't really understand you saying there are better ways to spend money.

dirtySAMURAI 04-26-2005 03:43 PM

3" tip? isn't that a bit much? also, i4 engines don't need "headers." we only have 1 header.

Hurts2bStock 04-26-2005 04:27 PM

Its not $300, its 125.00 for the Tanabe Muffler.

sorry :_beer: my bad on the $300 I don't know where that number came from :shrug:

Originally Posted by drew22,ader
Don't really understand you saying there are better ways to spend money.

well the topic is dead, we told you it can be welded to your car (anything can be) but it will not make your car faster.......its your money no one can spend it for you.....have fun with whatever you spend it on :_beer:

bloodzombie 04-26-2005 06:06 PM

Just my opinion:

making your car loud just for the sake of making it loud is completely and totally retarded.

y.0. KiLLa 04-26-2005 06:41 PM

u can get coilovers for 199? :eek: where? i bet these are sleeved, yikes!

Shifty 04-26-2005 07:09 PM

holy crap people, relax. Since when did most of you become jack-asses? I thought 7thgen members were all about helping each other. I think thats its hypocritical to tell him not to do the muffler when im pretty sure most of us have it on our cars. He asked for advice so give it in a constructive manner, im sure that if you wanted advice you would want the same.

The advice that i gave him because he was set into getting the muffler was that if he really wanted to do it, just do an axle back because i honestly dont think a full exhaust system is free up any horses. I also told him to not follow what the shop said about taking the resonators off because that would just be freakin annoying to listen to all day and attract unwanted attention and being labelled a "ricer".

So just a simple axle back with mandrel bent tubing was what I thought would be a good compromise between the two extremes. Its not too loud and its affordable.

Now i dont think that that was a bad advice and there is no need to belittle anyone. Cheers :_beer:

2k1civic01 04-26-2005 07:35 PM

why would you want to spend that much for a muffler???...and it's gonna need custom piping and it's gonna really sound like sh!t...

R3DL1N3 04-26-2005 08:03 PM

my apexi gt spec sounds great. i dont know what the hell youve been listening to.

drew22mader 04-26-2005 09:06 PM

Apexi N1 is what i listened to on the exhaust sounds, I like the Lower sound. Maybe the Apexi GT Spec sounds better but from what i heard of the N1 i didn't like. I really don't know why people get all bent out of shape and dog me for getting this muffler. Its only 125 for it and i'm doing the axel back custom piping. I guess I should ask for help from people cause all they want to do is critize.

Blahman2 04-26-2005 11:37 PM

Coil Overs 199.99

lol! Good luck with those. :hithead:

drew22mader 04-27-2005 12:48 AM

They were springs, I'm sorry about putting Coil Overs, man you won't stop till you have the last word with you Blahman2? Give it a rest, I thought this forum was for people with Civics and a community thats here to help when needed not bash people. Go bash on someone elses threads.

bamb00 04-27-2005 12:57 AM

muffler is all show and no go, even with custom piping on a civic.

i like tanabe and personally had tanabe rsep catback but i decided to sell it because the noise level did not match with the power that i got, or it robbed.

save your money for something else. go turbo.