Honda Civic Forum

Honda Civic Forum (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/)
-   Member's Rides (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/46-members-rides)
-   -   Started my motor swap! UPDATE!!! Almost done...details on last page! (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/46-members-rides/108577-started-my-motor-swap-update-almost-done-details-last-page.html)

NoBottleJustThrottle 08-09-2003 11:07 AM

Started my motor swap! UPDATE!!! Almost done...details on last page!

Yea thats right, its finally started.
Last night we worked for a little over 8 hours. We ran into a little bit of trouble with the driver side axle, but the D17 is now out of my car. Today its all about making the radiator fans work with the K20A2, and to start sorting out the wiring harness. The wiring harness thing will probably go into tomorrow, then monday we should start to put the new motor back in. I would guess to have this just about done on Wednesday.
Wish me luck.

guamcivic2k1 08-09-2003 11:11 AM

damn!! good luck!!!

Jodster 08-09-2003 11:14 AM

Congrats man!! Good luck too!!

ptechricer 08-09-2003 11:16 AM

I wish it was me, but good luck.

Chocobo 08-09-2003 11:19 AM

sweet. hope no problems arise

NoBottleJustThrottle 08-09-2003 11:24 AM

too late for that Chocobo.
Couldnt get the axle out of the disc brake on the front drivers side...thta held us up last night. My mounts didnt come in, will be here on monday. And my radiator stuff didnt show up, and we found out that it was actually never even ordered. So we are gonna just try and modify the Civic radiator and fans to work, if not, then order on monday and have in next day. And my new axles arent showing up till Monday. But other than that...its going pretty good.

Jodster 08-09-2003 11:28 AM

That suck man, but at least this gives you the weekend to figure everything out!!

bth Go Army 08-09-2003 12:10 PM

It'll work out just fine...good luck man. Post some pics

RoadRunner 08-09-2003 12:16 PM

AHHHHHH !!!! everybody is uppin the game with motor swaps and turbo setups. i have to hurry and do somethin like that now

KeNsHiN 08-09-2003 12:21 PM

good luck

white2K2EX 08-09-2003 02:14 PM

I feel like the only guy w/o a turbo or swap... :(

I'm actually thinking of going a little lower than the K20A2 and going for the A3 so I could have a true Civic Si Coupe. I know it means less power, but just for the novelty of it, I'd like to keep it to a honda engine.

ViNRoCk8 08-09-2003 02:27 PM

Originally posted by white2K2EX
I feel like the only guy w/o a turbo or swap... :(

I'm actually thinking of going a little lower than the K20A2 and going for the A3 so I could have a true Civic Si Coupe. I know it means less power, but just for the novelty of it, I'd like to keep it to a honda engine.

Just put the JDM honda red valve cover and you will have a Honda engine.....it already is a honda engine the only thing that says it isn't is the valve cover :D

NoBottleJustThrottle 08-09-2003 05:41 PM

Thanks for the encouragement guys!
I just took a break from workin on the car, and test drive a 2002 RSX-S...WOW! I cant believe my car is gonna be that fast. And that was a stock one too, i will have CAI and exhaust after my swap is done. Its gonna be great...the tranny is awsome, and the shifter feels like my civic one with its Neuspeed SS adapter on it...its really short. Good power down below...i went from 2500rpm in 3rd to 8 grand in no time at all. Man when that i-VTEC hits...it HITS!
Now i really cant wait to have this project done!

StLVtec 08-09-2003 06:20 PM

Yeah its awesome. I talk to my shop that is doing my swap and they where saying that instead of going through honda for the flash of immbolizer and ecu, that hondata offers one, that just programs it just like honda would. I thought he was talking about the hondata upgrade ecu but he wasnt , so I told him to find out for sure, b/c im going turbo cant have hondata, so that might be eqasier then honda

Jaykuai 08-09-2003 06:56 PM

good luck.. seems that your swap will be done fast..

flotsamm 08-09-2003 07:04 PM

Dood your so lucky! I wish I had the funds to do this kinda of project.. question though. How or what do you have to do to get it smogged? Do you have to register at the DMV as a RSX?

quicksilver 08-09-2003 07:22 PM

yeah like everyone else said ....GOOD LUCK...cant wait to hear about the finished product!

NoBottleJustThrottle 08-09-2003 07:42 PM

Yea the swap will be done fast i hope, HASport did theirs in a day and a half. So i figure by wednesday we should be about done.
To get it smoged im just gonna lay down some cash somewhere to get it passed, but for people that want to go the good way you would have to goto the DMV, and have a referee look at it, make sure it was done correctly, and have all the papers on the motor. Then he gives you a certificate showing that is a legal swap, and that you can pass smog as long as the aftermarket parts are legal. See, im going to have a Race Header on there not too long after the swap, so i dont think its even worth trying.

TOOLOWCIVIC 08-09-2003 11:40 PM

Good luck bro. Post pics if u can.

guamcivic2k1 08-10-2003 12:21 AM

keep us updated ,bro!

Unleaded 08-10-2003 02:16 AM

get the revo ss for the rsx-s 6 speed and it'll feel shorter. good luck.

EnProceso 08-10-2003 02:25 AM

awesome job man, keep going, didnt know engine swaps could be done so fast thought they took weeks. hope you get it done by wednesday, thatd be sweet! keep going!.....

NoBottleJustThrottle 08-10-2003 06:23 AM

yea im kind of turned off about REVO. Ive heard great things about it, but then again ive heard terrible things about it, like it breaking. As i said the RSX-S stock tranny has a pretty short though, i think with a basic adapter i can bang gears as fast as anyone with a REVO. I am a pretty aggressive driver.
the only reason i think that the other swaps take so long is that people have a shop do it for them, and they cant put as much time into one car. My friend and i could work on this swap 24 hours a day if we wanted...we have full access to the shop where my car is, which has a lift, and air tools, and every otehr tool we could ever need, and so on...
My dad took some pics of the motors, and the car on the lift and what not, i'll see if he can put them on the net somewhere, and i will link it for you guys.

Jodster 08-10-2003 07:39 AM

Becareful with miss shifting when you get everything done. I've seen it happen to a lot of RSXs. Just a warning.

NoBottleJustThrottle 08-10-2003 01:02 PM

Yea, ive seen the video too, and heard the horror stories. You would have to be bangin gears really hard to get past the synchroes going into second from a redline in 3rd. I bang gears hard too, but have never gone from a 3rd to 2nd. Im not too worried about it.

StLVtec 08-10-2003 10:34 PM

I got the revo 6 shifter, the welds look pretty nice but like you said over at club rsx alot of people were talkig about them breaking. And the gear box in the rsx are already short, my friend has a type s when i drive it it feels shorter then my revo on the civic

NoBottleJustThrottle 08-11-2003 01:24 AM

it looks like my Neuspeed SS will bolt right on to the RSX-S shifter assembly...so im just gonna put that on. But you are right, it is already very short.

NoBottleJustThrottle 08-14-2003 01:45 AM

I have had a huge day today with working on my car. Basically HASports swap info sucks! Their write up on how to do this swap belongs in the trash. They made me order nearly $500 worth of radiator crap that you dont need. All of the 2002 Civic Si radiator stuff is useless...it is exactly the same as what you have on your car now. I compared the part numbers even, and they were the same. Good news is that with some modification, you can make the stock radiator stuff work out just fine.
Really all you will end up buying is Axles, Mounts, Intake, and a Radiator Fan Switch. The only reason why you would even need those axles are if you are keeping your 4-lug. Also be prepared for a couple of things...the mounting brackets that you get with the HASport mounts need to be modified...the holes dont all line up. Also be prepared to have some hoses made...you will need some custom hoses made for this swap to work.
I will keep everyone updated as things progress!

EnProceso 08-14-2003 03:30 AM

the more progress you make the more jealous i become, lol.

SatansEnemy 08-14-2003 03:47 AM

great job, keep us informed.....
dang i need a huge loan....lol.....