Honda Civic Forum

Honda Civic Forum (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/)
-   Member's Rides (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/46-members-rides)
-   -   Started my motor swap! UPDATE!!! Almost done...details on last page! (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/46-members-rides/108577-started-my-motor-swap-update-almost-done-details-last-page.html)

NoBottleJustThrottle 08-14-2003 09:09 AM

Actually all you need to buy for this swap to happen is a RSX-S motor with EVERYTHING from that engine bay, Intake, Mounts, and Axles if you need them for the 4-lug. You will need two hoses made as well. Thats it though.

Hawk 08-14-2003 09:13 AM

I told everyone in the begining that there is alot of stuff you need that doesn't come on a motor with a pallet. And i also mentioned that the fit of hasports mounts was really horrible. We had the bang the inner fender to get the passanger side in, and make the holes on the driver side ALOT bigger.

A doner car is really a good thing. :D

EDIT: and on not using the SI radiator, there would have to be alot of moddifying to get the stock civic radiator to work. The hoses are on the complete opisite sides.

speed werx 08-14-2003 12:15 PM

Originally posted by NoBottleJustThrottle
I have had a huge day today with working on my car. Basically HASports swap info sucks! Their write up on how to do this swap belongs in the trash. They made me order nearly $500 worth of radiator crap that you dont need. All of the 2002 Civic Si radiator stuff is useless...it is exactly the same as what you have on your car now. I compared the part numbers even, and they were the same. Good news is that with some modification, you can make the stock radiator stuff work out just fine.
Really all you will end up buying is Axles, Mounts, Intake, and a Radiator Fan Switch. The only reason why you would even need those axles are if you are keeping your 4-lug. Also be prepared for a couple of things...the mounting brackets that you get with the HASport mounts need to be modified...the holes dont all line up. Also be prepared to have some hoses made...you will need some custom hoses made for this swap to work.
I will keep everyone updated as things progress!

the SI radiator has diffrent input and output locations for the hoses, the reason for swaping them is that they are alot less likely to kink. so you didnt waste your money, unless they gave you the wrong one

NoBottleJustThrottle 08-14-2003 04:30 PM

yea they gave me the wrong radiator...we are gonna try and get some custom hose made to work...it might work out.

RedDragon333 08-14-2003 04:40 PM

good luck with this thing man, mine willl be coming along shortly.

speed werx 08-14-2003 07:06 PM

Originally posted by NoBottleJustThrottle
yea they gave me the wrong radiator...we are gonna try and get some custom hose made to work...it might work out.
im pretty sure your mechanic buddy is the one thats been contacting me for help.haha. volks cafe?

kjgracing 08-14-2003 07:10 PM

which radiator are you using?

and are you gonna put different headers on the engine before you drop it in?
p.m. me ...these lists get too long!

speed werx 08-14-2003 07:17 PM

Originally posted by kjgracing
which radiator are you using?

and are you gonna put different headers on the engine before you drop it in?
p.m. me ...these lists get too long!

i think he ordered the wrong one, you NEED the si one, or you kinda have to jerry rig the top rad. hose

NoBottleJustThrottle 08-14-2003 08:45 PM

we are gonna try and make the stock radiator that came in my civic work with some custom hoses. No i am not putting a new header on my car yet...i will be getting the Comptech Race header after my swap is done sometime. Thats not for a while. After the swap im going to do my brakes, then my body kit, then more power.
Volks Cafe is the main shop that i go through. It is actually divided into sections. There is Volks Motorsports which i do my business with. They deal with every kind of domestic and import on the road. They just had to keep the Volks in their name to stay with the theme of Volks Cafe since its all under the same management.

Elite 08-24-2003 12:56 AM

any updates?

NoBottleJustThrottle 08-24-2003 05:56 AM

car turns on with the civic ECU right now. I had my exhaust made as well. All thats left is to put a male clip onto an o2 sensor plug, fix my clutch line, and get the keys flashed. Let me tell you, it was quite an expierence driving my car over to the muffler shop on an open header. *cluck cluck cluck cluck BANG! cluck cluck cluck BANG!* We scared a few people with that. Should be done middle to late next week.

CivicRookie 09-15-2003 10:25 AM

And now............?

Elite 09-15-2003 01:45 PM

lol cluck cluck cluck cluck BAnG ROFL!

Elite 09-15-2003 01:45 PM

did you test your car out as well or you wanna play it safe?

CivicRookie 09-15-2003 03:13 PM

I think he's having so much fun that he forgot to keep us updated..

EnProceso 09-15-2003 09:48 PM

last i heard he was having a shop looking over his work to make sure everything was set, he should be close to done now.....i hope, i'd like to see it when its done.

NoBottleJustThrottle 09-16-2003 01:38 AM

hey guys, sorry, i thought this thread was dead.
Ok update:
Yes, i brought my car to a shop to have them look over everything...basically they charged me $250 to tell me i still have some work to do (gee, thanks guys!). Anyways, so i brought my car home, and had to get a few more things sorted out. 1) GSR axles actually dont work...the drivers side pops out, so i had to order new axles, which just arrived today. 2) i had to do something about my P/S hoses, a couple were kinked, so i re-routed those hoses actually just 15min ago. 3) we have to add a relay to the o2 sensor, but we cant check our relay without the car being on, so that was put on hold because i didnt have my power steering hooked up and because of thing #4. 4) i needed a new fan switch. The one that i had in my civic that i tried to use couldnt handle the current, so it was always running. So i had to buy a new fan switch and install it into the radiator that i have.
As of now, i wont have AC. So i have a mini radiator with only one fan on it for the time being. Eventually yes, i will get the 2002 Civic Si radiator and get custom AC lines made, but i just want my car running right now.
Thats the news for now...i had a chance to drive it a couple of times. Both Honda and the shop that i went to said before i drove off not to drive it hard, cause i will probably break something. Well, that was too hard for me to listen to. I was bad and VTEC'd a few times on my way home. What can i say about the power, and VTEC? Simple amazing! I love it so much, and im sure that i will love it even more when my car is running properly. My car is very loud because of the exhaust that i have hooked up. I have the RSX-S downpipe and cat converter going into a custom 2.5in. pipe with no resonator leading to my HKS axle back exhaust. Not have a resonator is...well i wouldnt say a bad thing, but it does make the car very loud when you wood the gas pedal. I am going to make a video when im done, so then everyone can hear how loud it is.
Well, i dont want to bore you anymore, i will keep the updates commin.

NoBottleJustThrottle 09-17-2003 01:21 AM

9-16-03 Update!
Ok, the axles are in, and fit just fine. And my idle is fixed. The idle before was all over the place, sometimes it would bog down real low, sometimes it would be high...but suddenly on my way home from a test run is was fine. I guess the ECU just had to learn what was going on. On my test runs a got to VTEC a bunch. Oh my GOD! Its amazing. Pulls through all the gears that i drove on my drives (thats 1-4). The power just keeps going...its geat. Even my buddy with a 97 Prelude with I/E/Pullies was blown away on how hard it pulls. My 1-2 shifts dont just chirp the tires, they full on spin the tires. Tons of power, and i only have CAI and exhaust.
There are just a couple more things to do. I still have a CEL from the o2 sensor, my fan is not running at all right now on the radiator, and i think im leaking a small amount of coolant. Not huge things, but things that have to be fixed. Should be within a few days when its all done. When it is done i will make a new thread about the swap.
People in the Bay Area that want rides when im done are more than welcome. Just PM me and we can set up a time. Other people are welcome if they are in town...just let me know.

Snort2001 09-17-2003 02:50 AM

awww mannn...i wish i still lived in the bay area...hahha. so what are you going to do about the A/C and the power steering???

Alex1 09-17-2003 07:16 AM

Will you be writing a DIY 7thgen style?

NoBottleJustThrottle 09-17-2003 09:45 AM

I have power steering, that wasnt a problem getting some hoses to make it work out. AC will happen eventually, i just want to get my car runing right now. All it involves is getting a 2002 Civic Si radiator, attaching the fans, fan switch, getting custom AC lines made, and getting the AC charged again. the radiator is about $120, the lines $150, charged i might be able to get for free.
I wont be doing a DIY 7thgen style per say. Although, if anyone hs any problems, issues, or questions i am inviting them to PM me at any time. The only thing that i will be posting on the swap, is how to do the wiring harness. That is really the biggest thing with this swap, putting the motor in isnt too difficult ive youve ever tackled a big project like that before.

StLVtec 09-17-2003 08:24 PM

Cool , Mine should be done right around the same time. What axels did you end up using. I have rsx axels my shop is having a guy fabricate them to fit. Im staying 4 lug. Did you use rsx throttle cables. Im gonna see if the civic works. Also shifter cables did you custom your civic ones or get type s. If I need those thats the only thing thats gonna hold it up. Plus this weekend is nopi my car was supposed to be done by then will see.Might be down there

NoBottleJustThrottle 09-18-2003 01:09 AM

i got 95 GSR axles because HASport initally said it would work...but they dont. So i had to go out and get 2002 Civic Si axles which work fine.
You need to use the RSX throttle cable, the cruise control cable might work off of the civic...not sure. I used the Type S shifter cable cause they are shorter. Good luck with everything. I was doing more test driving tonight and i now have 3 kills under my belt. Killed a 2000 Accord V6 (walked away easily), 2001 Acura 3.2TL Type-S (that was fun, but no one stands a chance against my 3rd gear), and on the freeway i walked a newer style 7 series BMW.
Im having a lot of fun!
UPDATE:
Fan now works just fine...all thats left is a very small coolant leak, and the o2 sensors. More updates as they happen.

StLVtec 09-18-2003 01:07 PM

So I need to order the throttles and mine as well get the shifter cables just to be safe. Do you have any check engine lights or anything

NoBottleJustThrottle 09-18-2003 07:11 PM

yes, i still have a CEL from not wiring the o2 sensors in. That is on the list of things to do next.

ViNRoCk8 09-19-2003 10:56 AM

any pics yet??

NoBottleJustThrottle 09-19-2003 01:59 PM

when i am completely done(fixed the o2 sensor, and fixed the coolant leak), then i will make a new thread with thankyous and whatnot. From there i should have pics, and video up soon after.

PunkingCivic 09-19-2003 02:05 PM

Member "wannabefast" makes a cheap o2 sim, $20 shipped
Or you can make it yourself

http://www.7thgencivic.com/forums/sh...76#post1384376

NoBottleJustThrottle 09-19-2003 02:16 PM

i dont need the simulator...i just have to wire it into my ECU...i would rather do that for free. Thanks for the info though...tell him he can probably sell a lot of those over on clubrsx.com to people with the comptech race header. They have been waiting for a simulator for a long time, and still nothing is out.

StLVtec 09-19-2003 08:49 PM

Your motor still runs like it should with the cel on .