Honda Civic Forum

Honda Civic Forum (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/)
-   Suspension Performance Modifications (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/44-suspension-performance-modifications)
-   -   Getting ready to redo the suspension on my '05 (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/44-suspension-performance-modifications/367124-getting-ready-redo-suspension-my-05-a.html)

XXWoodmanXX 04-10-2016 04:19 PM

Getting ready to redo the suspension on my '05

3 Attachment(s)
All the parts are almost here for me to completely revamp my entire suspension. My plan is to lower it 1.5", and replace all the bushings, ball joints, and tie rods all-round. So far, I've already replaced the rear trailing & control arms with ones from an '06 RSX. My reasoning on the RSX? The trailing arms, control arms (with excellent bushings vs. mine!), rear sway bar, bushings, and mounting brackets were $90 shipped off Ebay.

:tup:

Attachment 90318

Attachment 90319

She sits about 3/8" lower in the rear end now, but that's marginal, so I can live with it. :D

The only reason the RSX sway bar + my new Progress mount isn't on is because Progress forgot to send ANY hardware with my kit! :_doh:

So here's what's waiting to be installed yet:

Attachment 90320

- Stagg4 1.5" drop springs
- Stagg4 Fr & Rr struts
- Progress rear sway bar mount
- '06 RSX rear sway bar (not pictured)
- brand new OEM front-end kit, including lower control arms, ball joints, front and rear sway bar mounts, tie-rod ends, and new tie rods (not pictured)
- New Moog front strut mounts + bearings

What's the best recommendation for rear (adjustable) camber arms? Heard great things about the adjustable ACDelco ones. Never a problem with fitment.

Also, can I just re-use my old strut spring insulators? How about the rear strut plastic sleeves (as long as they're not busted)?

GolNat 04-10-2016 07:22 PM

Re: Getting ready to redo the suspension on my '05

Didn't know ACDelco made them for a Civic.

I would buy the used set that I have listed in my Sig :) SPC makes a great kit.

Yes as long as those parts are not busted you can reuse them. Also are your inner tie rods bad? I have never had a bad inner tie rod, not something that usually needs replacing (at least with my experience).

Also since you need to drill the rear holes for the sway bar make sure you have a very sharp drill bit. I burned up my drill making those holes.

XXWoodmanXX 04-10-2016 07:55 PM

Originally Posted by GolNat (Post 4705667)
Didn't know ACDelco made them for a Civic.

I would buy the used set that I have listed in my Sig :) SPC makes a great kit.

Yes as long as those parts are not busted you can reuse them. Also are your inner tie rods bad? I have never had a bad inner tie rod, not something that usually needs replacing (at least with my experience).

Also since you need to drill the rear holes for the sway bar make sure you have a very sharp drill bit. I burned up my drill making those holes.

Will do, thx! As for the inner tie rods, they came with the complete front-end kit. And no, I don't think I will be needing them. I will take a look at your ad, too. ;)

sdaidoji 04-10-2016 09:00 PM

Stag4? I might heard about them once in 13 years... g'lucky. Not sure about them, let us know if they work or not.

spc, ingall are the most regarded ones, so not sure about other brands for camber arms.

I use skunk2 - lasting 6-7 years now? So good.

XXWoodmanXX 04-10-2016 09:18 PM

Staggs are mentioned alot on Honda forums and a bunch of RSX owners. Figured Id give them a shot as well.

sdaidoji 04-10-2016 09:45 PM

Fair enough :)

XXWoodmanXX 04-11-2016 07:05 AM

I hear nothing but good things (from those that have actually USED them), comparing them to KYBs. I did however find one guy on Acura forums that had a catastrophic failure with his front strut spot-welds shearing(OOPH!), but that was for a 90's model Integra; nothing like ours for the 7th gen.

Here's an interesting 'long-term' review of the Staggs a guy over on Bimmerforums have been using. 2+ yrs, 52K mi. and still going strong!
http://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/sh...2#post26101212

So, yes.....it really DOES seem to be hit or miss with these. Thankfully, I have lifetime warranty on all of them :)

XXWoodmanXX 05-16-2016 07:22 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Attachment 90279

UPDATE:

So far, I am loving the setup. Stagg struts and 1.5" Stagg drop springs seem to be a nice pairing, and give it a nice stance. But I REALLY love my '06 RSX 21mm rear sway. I definitely feel a difference in cornering. I am still holding off on doing any front sway setup, from all the understeer comments I've seen on here. What do you guys think? Yay or Nay on a front sway?

MassCivic 05-16-2016 02:36 PM

The only upgrade for our front sway is a smaller bar or none at all. I removed mine entirely and I enjoy how it feels.

Originally Posted by XXWoodmanXX (Post 4707738)
http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c1...516_074334.jpg

UPDATE:

So far, I am loving the setup. Stagg struts and 1.5" Stagg drop springs seem to be a nice pairing, and give it a nice stance. But I REALLY love my '06 RSX 21mm rear sway. I definitely feel a difference in cornering. I am still holding off on doing any front sway setup, from all the understeer comments I've seen on here. What do you guys think? Yay or Nay on a front sway?

XXWoodmanXX 05-16-2016 03:31 PM

Originally Posted by MassCivic (Post 4707763)
The only upgrade for our front sway is a smaller bar or none at all. I removed mine entirely and I enjoy how it feels.

That's about the way I see it. I like how she is now; I'll leave it at that. ;)

MassCivic 05-16-2016 03:49 PM

Originally Posted by XXWoodmanXX (Post 4707768)
That's about the way I see it. I like how she is now; I'll leave it at that. ;)

Right on, not worth spending money on.

I'll let you know if my opinion changes after I install my coilovers and rear poly bushings.

As of now, suspension wise I have poly front LCA bushings, neuspeed strut bar, rsx 21mm rear sway with poly bushings, rsx-s front struts and springs and stock rear struts/springs.