Honda Civic Forum

Honda Civic Forum (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/)
-   Suspension Performance Modifications (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/44-suspension-performance-modifications)
-   -   Progress Springs, Tein S Tech's, H&R Springs (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/44-suspension-performance-modifications/312674-progress-springs-tein-s-techs-h-r-springs.html)

EM2love 11-29-2008 10:55 AM

Progress Springs, Tein S Tech's, H&R Springs

Which one of these springs should i get?

I'm looking for a 2" drop all around and i'll be rockin stock struts for a while until i can find a good deal on them.

02civicg5 11-29-2008 12:29 PM

Re: Progress Springs, Tein S Tech's, H&R Springs

i would go with tein s techs.. they r reaqlly good and rarely sag

kcari 11-29-2008 01:03 PM

but wont give u a 2 inch drop all around

MidnightCivic 11-29-2008 01:04 PM

Originally Posted by 02civicg5 (Post 4366247)
i would go with tein s techs.. they r reaqlly good and rarely sag

those wont give u a 2" drop...i would go with progress or some eibach sportline

EM2love 11-29-2008 01:31 PM

Alright thanks guys.

Is it a bad idea to have 2" drop springs and oem struts?

kcari 11-29-2008 01:32 PM

im going to say yes. personally as someone who has been through 2 sets of springs on stock shocks and then finally coilovers and back on stock and again on coilovers, do it right the first time. it's going to be cheaper in the long run.

koni yellows or tokico d specs are what most people use. you can even pair the yellows with ground control coilover sleeves and adjust all you want. also keep in mind, depending on wheel and tire size you might not get the drop that ur looking for

EM2love 11-29-2008 01:39 PM

Well i rock 17's on 215/45 tires.
I won't go any smaller ever.

I saw the skunk2 coilover sleeve's.

I was thinking of getting those and then the tokico's (mainly cause they're cheaper).

But then i saw some people on springs and it's a nice and price friendly drop.

kcari 11-29-2008 01:43 PM

and likely bouncy ride and more hassle when they blow. eventually they will blow. oem shocks werent designed for the lower compression, especially at 2 inches. I have no experience with skunks
but i know the blues are just stronger than oem and dont think you should go 2 inches lower with them.

before you drop you gotta factor in the road conditions around you, if you have an exhaust -scrapage, you might need to roll your fenders, camber kit, etc.
with those tires, stechs will give u a 2 finger drop all around.

EM2love 11-29-2008 01:56 PM

So i have to get struts basically.
And the roads aren't that bad here if you watch out.

So i think this is what i'm going to do;

Progression Springs/Eibach Sportline and Tokico's.

Any have links to nice cheap prices or bargains?

I wish i could just get a deal so i can have everything at one time

BigVic4545 11-29-2008 02:28 PM

If you go with the Tein S Techs they will give you about a 1.5 drop all around...if you are staying with stock struts/shocks i would def. go with tein s techs. I have them on my car on stock struts and shocks for over a year now and my shocks and struts are fine....The ride is a bit bouncy but feels similar to stock....if you are going lower than 2 inches i would either go with springs/struts/shocks combination or if you have some money to spend throw some coilovers on the ride.

EM2love 11-29-2008 02:30 PM

Can you show me a picture of your car on S Tech's.

BigVic4545 11-29-2008 02:58 PM

Yea sure..here's a link....like i said its not a huge drop but its noticeable and wont hurt your stock suspension as much as a 2+ inch drop.

https://www.civicforums.com/forums/a...3&d=1226193870

EM2love 11-29-2008 03:10 PM

Nice car, thumbs up!

But i think i'm going to go with the Progress Sport Line springs and Tokico Blues.

Look up a guy named : +MM+

His car is on that setup minus the blue's (he has other gas struts)
and i like the setup a lot. I guess i'll just have to buy the springs first and then let them collect dust until i get paid again to get the struts.

kcari 11-29-2008 03:36 PM

if your ride is bouncy your shocks are blown...
or something else is wrong

SSMCivic2k5 11-29-2008 07:16 PM

if you getting anything other than S Techs...get new shocks.....stock ones wont hold 2'' drop for long...probably 3-6 months

katzenjammer84 11-29-2008 07:51 PM

How much are you looking to spend?

As mentioned, stock struts do not have the valving to cope with the increased spring rates. They'll last you anywhere from 20 miles to 100,000 miles. There's no way of telling when they'll go, but at some point they'll give up.

Eibach's sportlines will give you a 2" drop, and Eibach makes reputable equipment. Your strut choices depend on your budget.

EM2love 11-30-2008 07:32 PM

Originally Posted by katzenjammer84 (Post 4366343)
How much are you looking to spend?

As mentioned, stock struts do not have the valving to cope with the increased spring rates. They'll last you anywhere from 20 miles to 100,000 miles. There's no way of telling when they'll go, but at some point they'll give up.

Eibach's sportlines will give you a 2" drop, and Eibach makes reputable equipment. Your strut choices depend on your budget.

i'm trying to keep it under 250 :/

katzenjammer84 11-30-2008 07:41 PM

To do it the right way, and to avoid kicking yourself later, it will cost more than $250, unfortunately.

If you want a handling improvement, I'd suggest a larger rear sway bar.

If you're ultimately more concerned with a drop in ride height than outright handling capabilities, I'd suggest trying to find a used set of Tein Basics.

If you still can't come to terms with something you're satisfied with, I'd just wait it out until you have the money to do it right.

I'm on my 6th Honda and like myself, many of us have been down this road before. It is far less hassle and much more rewarding to do it right the first time, and your car will thank you.

Maybe hold the $250 aside and wait for the tax return or other supplementary income? Just don't be impulsive to get a temporary fix, it's worth waiting for. :)

EM2love 11-30-2008 07:49 PM

Originally Posted by katzenjammer84 (Post 4366630)
To do it the right way, and to avoid kicking yourself later, it will cost more than $250, unfortunately.

If you want a handling improvement, I'd suggest a larger rear sway bar.

If you're ultimately more concerned with a drop in ride height than outright handling capabilities, I'd suggest trying to find a used set of Tein Basics.

If you still can't come to terms with something you're satisfied with, I'd just wait it out until you have the money to do it right.

I'm on my 6th Honda and like myself, many of us have been down this road before. It is far less hassle and much more rewarding to do it right the first time, and your car will thank you.

Maybe hold the $250 aside and wait for the tax return or other supplementary income? Just don't be impulsive to get a temporary fix, it's worth waiting for. :)

True, whats the cheapest but most effective set of coilovers?
The Tein basics?
So Eibach Sport Lines and Tokico Blue's won't be good?

katzenjammer84 11-30-2008 07:55 PM

Tein Basics are good for dropping your ride, but for handling I find them lacking. It was just a suggestion if your main concern is reducing wheel gap.

The Sportline and Tokico combination would be sufficient. I personally have no experience with Tokico Blues, but I'm sure there are others members who have.

ANYTHING is better than stock struts.

EM2love 11-30-2008 08:33 PM

Originally Posted by katzenjammer84 (Post 4366638)
Tein Basics are good for dropping your ride, but for handling I find them lacking. It was just a suggestion if your main concern is reducing wheel gap.

The Sportline and Tokico combination would be sufficient. I personally have no experience with Tokico Blues, but I'm sure there are others members who have.

ANYTHING is better than stock struts.

I'm trying to reduce wheel gap to where its 1 finger all around or 2 fingers tight all around. That's why the sportline and tokico combination was in my mind.

kcari 11-30-2008 08:36 PM

sounds good to me - but keep in mind if ur really really picky about finger gaps then just get coilovers - basics ride just fine - i've had women in my car that say it feels nice (on smooth surfaces)
u'll get used to them.

but sportline should give u the stance ur looking for. on 17s, s techs will give u a 2 finger drop anyways

EM2love 11-30-2008 08:40 PM

Originally Posted by kcari (Post 4366651)
sounds good to me - but keep in mind if ur really really picky about finger gaps then just get coilovers - basics ride just fine - i've had women in my car that say it feels nice (on smooth surfaces)
u'll get used to them.

but sportline should give u the stance ur looking for. on 17s, s techs will give u a 2 finger drop anyways

So you think Sportlines and Tokico is a good idea :D

Awesome.

I don't have the kind of money for coilovers. :/

kcari 11-30-2008 08:50 PM

u can get basics around 1 grand shipped
sometimes ive seen them for like 950 shipped.
brand new
but check out some of the used ones too - he can probably pick up a set for 500 or so. risky but...

EM2love 11-30-2008 09:05 PM

see i don't have the kind of money, i'm 18 and in college :/
so money's hard as it is.

thats why i was going the springs and strut route because of the price and it looks good.

kcari 11-30-2008 10:04 PM

hey i was/am in your shoes too - listen do it right the first time!!
dont be like me!

robbclark1 12-01-2008 09:47 AM

Originally Posted by EM2love (Post 4366627)
i'm trying to keep it under 250 :/

Not going to happen.
You are 18. Invest the money rather than ****ing up your car. /thread.

cwo715 12-02-2008 07:24 AM

i back eibach.

+MM+ 12-02-2008 08:09 PM

I have the Progress springs, and they give a nice drop cosmetically (1.8" front/2.0" rear) with minimal sag in the rear. When I first bought them, I used them with my stock struts and I wouldn't recommend this at all. My struts didn't even last for one year. I am using KYB GR-2 struts now. They seem quite durable and are pretty inexpensive, but the ride is a bit harsh on bumpy roads (even with my OEM springs). On a nice, smooth road they're excellent. I don't have experience with other brands, so I would suggest getting advice from someone who has used various brands. But, as far as Progress goes, I think they make great products. I've heard good things about their full coilover set-up as well. I think Dezod has a deal on them at the moment. Here's a pic of my drop...

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b1...g?t=1228270147

alex.w *// 12-05-2008 04:38 PM

if you ever go with coilovers, i would say tein basics are very bumpy,
maybe because i set mine too low. i would go for a set that has dampening adjustablity. like megan streets