Honda Civic Forum

Honda Civic Forum (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/)
-   Suspension Performance Modifications (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/44-suspension-performance-modifications)
-   -   Progress Competition Coilovers - RSX into 05 Civic? (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/44-suspension-performance-modifications/247510-progress-competition-coilovers-rsx-into-05-civic.html)

Cisco88 02-14-2006 08:36 PM

Progress Competition Coilovers - RSX into 05 Civic?

Ok, I've already done the search thing, but I couldn't find what I'm looking for.

I bought a set of Progress coilovers from Truehonda, and got great service from Ed. When we talked he said that Progress never stocks coilovers and that they would need to be custom made. No worries, I wasn't gonna need them for awhile.

So when the coilovers came in I booked an appointment. The tech comes out and says there is a bit of a problem. As we're walking to the car he mentions if I knew that the coilovers are for an RSX. I said no. I ask if the rears went in fine, and he said no problem. The problem was when it came down to securing down the tie rods that there was a bit of play, and he wasn't confident in leaving it like that. He came up with the idea of changing the outer portion of my tie rods to the RSX counterpart. They pulled up an RSX, pulled of the tires and measured, and it was longer than the Civic's. It was exactly 2mm longer I guess, and would eliminate the play that I had right now.

I'll find out tomorrow if it works, if it doesn't, Truehonda is gonna get a phone call to figure this out. Install costs are now rising!!!!! ARGH!!!!!

And idea if this is gonna work? Or am I wasting my time? They look awesome on the car and the tech said they are easy to install and fit in great except for that problem.

Thanks guys!

Boilermaker1 02-14-2006 10:31 PM

you need RSX tie rods, you'll also need to shave some of the rear lower bushing. Honestly, if you can get civic parts, use civic parts. Because they fit the car. Makes life much easier.

Cisco88 02-14-2006 10:55 PM

Thats what I wanted originally, but since I live in Canada and don't have the time to wait for the right parts I thought that I could get away with it. Thanks though.

I was wondering, what did you mean by shaving the rear lower bushing?

Boilermaker1 02-15-2006 06:45 AM

get a grinder, and remove about 2mm of it. Like I said, wait for the right parts, or get something else.

dezod 02-15-2006 03:11 PM

We are an authorized Progress dealer.

Eddie usually does things well, but Progress has had some real nice mishaps on some orders lately so it may not be Eddie's fault at all. I ordered an RSX bar and received a Maxima one here the other week. They sent out a hardware kit for the D17 and left out some stuff.

sl0wEM2 02-16-2006 12:45 AM

Yeah, get the right parts. Get pictures once you get them installed! I've been seriously thinking of getting some progress coilovers.

dezod 02-16-2006 08:41 AM

Originally Posted by j0hns0n
Yeah, get the right parts. Get pictures once you get them installed! I've been seriously thinking of getting some progress coilovers.

Let ME know when your ready. :tup:

Cisco88 02-17-2006 01:22 AM

So everything is done, the tie rods from an RSX fixed the problem. The drop on the front is awesome, but with the coilover is to the max on the rear it looks like it is stock. Two finger gap between the fender and tire. Looks like a$$.

I emailed Ed about my problem. Hopefully he is willing to remedy the problem, as I am very irrate right now. I know they are great coilovers, but right now I am NOT happy.

Ed, if you are reading this, please respond to my email. Thanks.

Kit