Honda Civic Forum

Honda Civic Forum (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/)
-   Wheels, Tires & Brakes Modifications (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/43-wheels-tires-brakes-modifications)
-   -   Drums--->Discs SPELLED OUT (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/43-wheels-tires-brakes-modifications/212186-drums-discs-spelled-out.html)

flowerpowerlove 07-22-2005 03:21 PM

Originally Posted by HondaLuver
^^^ read post # 9

thanks for the re-direct :)

sweeteli99 07-22-2005 11:34 PM

got it working, easier than i thought, took about 8hrs though :( time consuming...

flowerpowerlove 07-22-2005 11:48 PM

how is the difference?

sweeteli99 07-23-2005 08:11 AM

definately looks better than the drums, feels a lot better at braking

skipbarber 07-23-2005 10:52 PM

i was a little discouraged with the fact that lx/dx owners cant really benefit from this swap, and for a while I was thinking of not going through with it. Until I looked around, a friend of mine pointed out that there are several shops out there that can create custom brake proportioning pieces, I will definately be looking into that. So sexcivic (banned) is coming to help me do it this week.

HondaLuver 08-03-2005 11:11 AM

^^^ even tho you guys don't have abs, you guys will still benifit from this swap

skipbarber 08-03-2005 05:59 PM

^^no kidding man. The difference is night and day. They bite really nicely. Im extremely happy.

Just finished my swap...

The whole thing took about 4 hours between two of us, I ran into a clogged valve and a seized cam bolt, which i had to buy from honda...they charged way too much. Not only did i swap out the brakes, but i redid my lower control arms to have factory sway bar mounts. We decided it would be easiest to take the rear suspension out as a unit, starting with the coilovers, then the bolt at the upper control arm, the brake lines, e-brake cable, and finally with the support of the oem jack underneath, the lower control arm. Once the whole assembly was out, it was just a matter of mocking it up with the new control arms, the brakes, and the shock and re-installing it all as a unit. Id recommend starting with the right side of the car first like the DIY says, this way you can attach the LCA to the car and run the e-brake cable up and then button it up to the belly of the car and then continue on with the soft brake lines and the upper control arm. I used Ep3 cables, and everything matched up perfectly except one of the brackets on the drivers side e-brake cable. All you have to do is unclamp it a little, attach the cable to the handle and move the bracket and bend it in place. Works like a charm.

cliffs:
drum brakes + me = :shrug:
disc brakes + me = :sweet:
install is straight forward, only hard part is ebrake cables (which wasnt hard at all)

Wolfgang5884 08-03-2005 06:50 PM

great DIY I love you!!!

blouisgod 08-04-2005 04:26 PM

I just got done doing this swap today. Heres some key points from my experience:

I used DC5 ebrake cables because they were a tad longer, but it didnt end up making much of a difference when bolting the line to the ebrake handle. Its still a pain. Also the cables guides did bolt up to factory spots, its just that there is some slack towards the wheel - nothing a 12" zip didnt solve.

I used Goodridge SS lines which bolted straight up. These lines are high quality, but aren't really visually noticable. Im going to mount the front lines tomorrow.

I also did not remove the stock wheel sensors from the car. I just removed the Sis and put the stockers on once the hub was mounted up. A small flat head and hammer helped to pop em out.

Before mounting the hubs, I removed the bleed valve from each caliper and mounted the ss lines. I then filled the lines and caliper with a small squeeze bottle to fill everything, then closed the valve. The ss lines had a plug on each end so fluid did not spill.

The 10mm bolt on the factory hard line is brass. It will strip. Grab some vice grips and clamp on to the bolt. Steady, firm pressure in the right direction will pop it loose.

That's about it. If i think of something ill post it. PM me if you have some ?'s...Ill be posting new pics of the ride including the swap probably sometime next week. Remember, an 18" breaker bar is your best friend:D

skipbarber 08-04-2005 08:48 PM

^yea, i used some heavy duty brake cleaner and a snap-on line wrench.

sweeteli99 08-04-2005 09:25 PM

i want to see pics of your setup?

i wonder if people notice? "hey that civic has rear disc"

Boilermaker1 08-04-2005 09:34 PM

Originally Posted by sweeteli99
i want to see pics of your setup?

i wonder if people notice? "hey that civic has rear disc"

Unless you know what you're looking at, it goes unnoticed. The rim shadows the rotor over enough (since the rotor is so small), that you really can see it unless you have a rim with a very small diameter hub.

sweeteli99 08-04-2005 09:39 PM

yeah, need to get a decal that says "got rear disc?"

CIVIC X3 08-04-2005 10:35 PM

but what if you want to go big break kit in the back and front? do you only get the dc5 cables, ep3 spindles? and then get the ep3 brembo big brake kit or power slot.

skipbarber 08-04-2005 10:40 PM

1 Attachment(s)
i dont think it would matter, since those kits are designed under the assumption that it is a straight swap, so the engineers know to make the mounting points for lines/cables the same as stock, or provide a new part. and IMO, ep3 cables are more than enough.
sweeteli99:

blouisgod 08-05-2005 06:53 AM

Originally Posted by CIVIC X3
but what if you want to go big break kit in the back and front? do you only get the dc5 cables, ep3 spindles? and then get the ep3 brembo big brake kit or power slot.

i think SSBC makes a disc swap from the stock drums that is larger than the ep3 discs and has a 2 piston caliper. its msrp is around 700 for the rear. but you also need to run 17" rims. thats one option. or you could just get the powerslot rotors for ~300 bucks. But the oem rear caliper is small, and would prolly look really funny matted to a huge rotor.

ill post a few pics in this thread maybe this weekend.

CIVIC X3 08-05-2005 02:51 PM

do you know a website site i can go to get the SSBC disc swap? damn i really want to do the swap but not sure about the hand brake cable.

sweeteli99 08-05-2005 03:49 PM

Originally Posted by skipbarber
i dont think it would matter, since those kits are designed under the assumption that it is a straight swap, so the engineers know to make the mounting points for lines/cables the same as stock, or provide a new part. and IMO, ep3 cables are more than enough.
sweeteli99:

thats the good stuff right there.

get big brake kit from an ep3, their fronts is the same as ours, and so is the rears (now that you have rear disc). everything should line up, since basically your rear suspension is now the same as an ep3, all cables, etc.

Boilermaker1 08-05-2005 06:18 PM

I think the SSBC kit says you already need the discs. Its a size upgrade. The drum knuckles don't have any attachment points for calipers, the hubs are different (you can't mount a disc to it, meaning you'd need the knuckles, hubs and bearings along with everything disc relatedl. There's no way they can sell all that for $700.

blouisgod 08-05-2005 07:24 PM

http://www.jegs.com/cgi-bin/ncommerc...97&prmenbr=361

it says you need factory discs - eh...

blouisgod 08-07-2005 09:39 AM

http://my.prostreetonline.com/album/...d/IM000493.JPG

Rear discs, Hawk Pads, Goodridge SS lines, B&Gs - don't mind the rust from the wash.

pon55 08-07-2005 02:41 PM

Originally Posted by blouisgod
http://my.prostreetonline.com/album/...d/IM000493.JPG

Rear discs, Hawk Pads, Goodridge SS lines, B&Gs - don't mind the rust from the wash.

Looks good, do they tend to semi lock at high speed stops? (loud chirps)

blouisgod 08-08-2005 09:30 AM

^ I haven't really gotten on them to hard. SO far, braking in the city is 1000x better than stock, prolly cause Im actually using rear brakes now. The pedal is really firm - the ss lines and repetitive bleeding paid off. I'll let you know once i slam on em'.

chefjnr 08-18-2005 08:20 AM

thats awesome! I was pretty much never going to do this mod because my rims cost $1300.00, and I thought to go rear disc you were forced to go 5 lug!!! Boilermaker, please PM me asap if you know of a junkyard selling the parts to do this!

blouisgod 08-18-2005 09:15 PM

ephatch.com

EM2typeflex 08-18-2005 10:03 PM

I got those aem big brake rotors on my rear brake setup, I'll post pictures as sson as I get my car back. it doesn't look that bad when you got those aem rotors all around.

chefjnr 08-29-2005 12:28 AM

fastbrakes.com is making a kit for the o1 civic ex that will be a direct bolt on rear disc brake conversion, and will include larger rotors for around $900.00. They are shooting for a Sept. release- or so they tell me...........

04civic07 11-11-2005 01:58 AM

hey guys i just got my ep rear discs today. some questions about the swap. The people at the junk yard cut the brake sensor lines, soo.... (1) can i use the ones that are currently on my drums instead? (2) is the tiny little bottle for the rear brake fluid enough for the discs? (3) rotors are rusted, should i simple use sand paper and just sand them down? (4) any warning signs i should take notice of after install? (5) list of difficulties i should take note of when installing? as in "what should i do before i do that". thats about it haha

skipbarber 11-11-2005 07:26 AM

1) yes
2) no, you should thoroughly flush your system
3) no, once installed and you start driving, take it easy and within 1-2 days they should look/feel normal. Mine were pretty bad.
4) yes, if you can't stop, you did it wrong.
5) no, it is a straight forward install. Be sure to check and recheck any and all bolts you removed.

xRiCeBoYx 11-23-2005 01:08 AM

pics dont work anymore.. :shrug: