Honda Civic Forum

Honda Civic Forum (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/)
-   Wheels, Tires & Brakes Modifications (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/43-wheels-tires-brakes-modifications)
-   -   The downside of rediculous stopping power... (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/43-wheels-tires-brakes-modifications/157797-downside-rediculous-stopping-power.html)

Boilermaker1 06-04-2004 06:32 PM

The downside of rediculous stopping power...

They should look like this....
http://tools.ecn.purdue.edu/~krausej...cleanwheel.jpg

But they end up looking like this
http://tools.ecn.purdue.edu/~krausej...dirtywheel.jpg

The only reason I put up with this is because these pads have enough bite to overpower the ABS.
BTW... they're Axxis Ultimates, and thats only a week and a half.

HondaLuver 06-04-2004 07:01 PM

humm

acjones20 06-04-2004 07:08 PM

sucks, good looking wheel/tire combo though :clap:

tripledoublegs 06-04-2004 08:28 PM

sell me those rims Boilermaker!!!!! :D
I'm serious man, if you ever think about selling them just PM me...pls

VTECTypeR 06-08-2004 12:31 AM

that looks kinda cool though lol gunmetalish. im serious too lol

usafstud 06-09-2004 09:18 AM

lol

my bronze 5zigen wheels are black after a day at the track from the axxis ultimates

Mr.Modify 06-09-2004 12:32 PM

*cough*cough* wow that's alot of brake dust...won't be getting those :)

Zzyzx 06-09-2004 01:38 PM

They dust alot because He runs them hard. with Every day joe average driving, a high temp pad will produce signifigantly less dust then a lower temp organic pad (Most will, some high temp pads just dust alot..). BUT... high temp pads are not known for their rotor frendlyness, and when you do run them hard, they dust alot.

streetglower 06-09-2004 04:18 PM

I guess ebc greenstuff is classified as not rotor friendly.

Zzyzx 06-09-2004 04:50 PM

when compaired to OEM pads... All high temp pads arnt rotor friendly.

Check out the LeMans series, they are running pads so hard/high temp. that they will go through several $1,000 a piece rotors before the pads wear out... :)

IronFist 06-13-2004 01:53 PM

I've only seen OZ rims on a Lancer. Or am I thinking of something else?

jiggerachi 06-13-2004 03:44 PM

^I thin k those are the cheap ass wheels, put on just for the name. OZ makes a lot more & better stuss than that. I believe alot of F1 teams use Oz wheels, as well as alot of WRC teams. But since F1 & WRC isnt popular in America, I guess all we see is the shitty Lancer wheels :rofl:

Edit: www.ozracing.com

IronFist 06-13-2004 07:10 PM

Wait I saw them on an Eclipse today, too. But that's still Mitsubishi.

Day_Tripper 06-13-2004 07:16 PM

wooh! instant gun metal rims... j/k yeah that kinda sux, and i thought that i have problems with brake dust with my stock brakes...

Boilermaker1 06-13-2004 07:17 PM

F1, WRC, IRL, Cart, Lemans, GT racing... lots of race teams use OZ wheels... Mugen even gets wheels made by OZ (the JGTC NSX runs Mugen/OZ wheels) the M12s are made by OZ as have a few others in the past . They're not popular here... they have a very limited network of dealers, they're hard to come by and they're rather expensive.

vtecharry 06-24-2004 05:11 PM

My silver Rota Attacks have been brownish-black for over a year now since I installed the Hawk HP+ pads :( They dust worse than the Axxis Ultimates which I 've had on my Integra. Unbelievable stopping power though! Wouldn't trade them for any other (street) pad and I 've tried them all in the last 5yrs. EBC crap ( :tdown: ), AEM, Metal Masters (ok), etc. HP+ No1, Ultimates No2. Makes up for the brake dust.

Only thing is I think the dust has become permanent now and part of the wheels because I couldn't get it all off the Rotas a couple of weeks ago. That's what happens when you wait 6mos to clean your wheels.. I probably didn't use the right stuff. Was just using dish soap and a sponge.

streetglower 06-25-2004 01:50 AM

I have been using hawk pads now for about 2 weeks and very little dust on my hubs.

Yakkolio 06-25-2004 10:08 AM

i have axxis and they black up my oem wheels in about 1 1/2 - 2 weeks also.

vtecharry 06-25-2004 05:46 PM

Originally Posted by streetglower
I have been using hawk pads now for about 2 weeks and very little dust on my hubs.

Do you have the HP+ or HPS? HPS don't dust as much as HP+. Axxis Ultimates also dust more than HPS. If you have HPS let me know how you like them because I 'm thinking of going with those rather than getting HP+ again. BTW, the HP+ have lasted 50k mi. so far and there 's still enough pad material to go another 10k I think. Braking power has not diminished a bit. I do 90% highway driving though but I beat the brakes every chance I get. I like waiting and braking late.. just love their stopping power :tup:

CrazyCakes 06-26-2004 02:51 PM

dude you guys think that boiler's wheels look dirty?? i run HP+ with white konigs. if i don't wash my wheels every day they get dusty.

streetglower 06-26-2004 04:12 PM

I have the HPS. They are ok, they are very friendly to the rotors, braking power is a little less than when I had EBC Greenstuff, but still good.

Boilermaker1 06-26-2004 11:30 PM

Originally Posted by CrazyCakes
dude you guys think that boiler's wheels look dirty?? i run HP+ with white konigs. if i don't wash my wheels every day they get dusty.

Trust me... the picture doesn't really make it as bad as it is. Wait until after next monday. I'm lapping at Gingerman... lets see what 2 hours on a race track does.