Honda Civic Forum

Honda Civic Forum (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/)
-   Air Conditioning (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/390-air-conditioning)
-   -   AC Stopped Blowing Cold Air (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/390-air-conditioning/376802-ac-stopped-blowing-cold-air.html)

thebluecoat 06-28-2019 05:24 PM

AC Stopped Blowing Cold Air

2007 Honda Civic EX 4 Door,

Today (hottest day thus far over 90F) my AC stopped blowing cold air. Inspecting under the hood I noticed the AC compressor clutch is not engaging/spinning.

This happened to me last year and I took it in for service. I was told it “needed an evac and recharge” after getting the service done I was handed a relay and was told “this was your problem” (a bad AC Compressor Clutch Relay). I felt at the time that I might not have needed service beyond the relay and felt like I got took.

So the first thing I did was go to my local Honda dealer, picked up a Honda genuine AC compressor clutch relay and replaced my old one. After doing so AC compressor clutch still not engaging.

I left my car sitting while I went to a local autoparts store and bought a AC recharge kit with included gauge. I followed the directions connecting to low pressure while the car was on, AC on, Fan on Max. Had some difficulty getting connected and had a few half second air noises. I went to check my air , it was working.

I drive the car again for about 3 minutes and the AC stopped working again. So I repeat the recharge kit as I feel I mistook the product working but air was just escaping the system maybe.

having the recharge gauge connected -its pressure gauge maxes out at 100PSI , when I was connected properly the needle went beyond 100PSI.

Any idea what it could be? Or ideas for next steps

sdaidoji 06-28-2019 05:55 PM

Re: AC Stopped Blowing Cold Air

2007 is a 8th gen car, moved to correct section

Colin42 06-28-2019 06:01 PM

You overfilled it, this is why I hate those cheapo kits. You need a proper manifold gauge set to fill the system properly

thebluecoat 06-28-2019 06:08 PM

Originally Posted by Colin42 (Post 4763425)
You overfilled it, this is why I hate those cheapo kits. You need a proper manifold gauge set to fill the system properly

Sorry if I was being confusing , when I had attempted to use the kit , it was not making a proper connection to the low pressure port, so air momentarily hissed from the low pressure port due to poor connection.

At the time I was doing it, I thought that was the product coming out of the can, but it was just air escaping.

I am 100% sure I didn’t add anything to the system the can is quite heavy.

thebluecoat 07-03-2019 07:51 PM

Problem solved !

Let my car sit for awhile , luckily the AC clutch compressor engaged , as I needed it to in order for the system to accept coolant. I had to press down hard on the can and I could hear stuff coming out.

Air immediately got cold , added a little more and had to stop as the can suggested my vehicle has a valve that makes the pressure reading inaccurate.

Just needed coolant !

mustfirst 05-10-2020 03:44 PM

Anyone knows how to fix this? or should i take it to the mechanic? But here it is very expensive. Its like 500 or more.

BrotatoChip 05-11-2020 07:18 AM

You have your own thread with plenty of replies. Don't hijack another.