Honda Civic Forum

Honda Civic Forum (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/)
-   Engine (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/329-engine)
-   -   Drivability issues (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/329-engine/374389-drivability-issues.html)

vboss5764 09-14-2018 10:44 PM

Drivability issues

I'm working on the 01 Civic for a friend, timing belt broke, I have it all back together with new valves, good comp, idle is ok but can't get passed 3K RPM, at idle or in gear driving, seems like it hits fuel cut or rev limiter. Or maybe its in limp mode? I'm not that knowledgeable on Honda specifics but I'm a retired mechanic relic from the carb days with updated schooling. There is a CEL but my scanner is loaned out, I'll have to go the parts store.

sdaidoji 09-15-2018 06:37 AM

Re: Drivability issues

check oil levels if car is a EX.
then check codes

ezone 09-15-2018 10:15 AM

Need to find out the fault codes.

Slumpertcivic 09-15-2018 10:58 AM

Woot, we need to guess..
I guess you unplugged the cam sensor even though you shouldn’t and you didn’t blast the hell out of it and the pigtail with electrical contact cleaner before plugging it back in.

vboss5764 09-16-2018 10:30 PM

Originally Posted by Slumpertcivic (Post 4751750)
Woot, we need to guess..
I guess you unplugged the cam sensor even though you shouldn’t and you didn’t blast the hell out of it and the pigtail with electrical contact cleaner before plugging it back in.

Kinda of hard to replace the head without unplugging things...don't you think. No need to guess, I can do that with out help. Just thought there was a specific reason for the 3K limit.

ezone 09-17-2018 12:02 AM

Originally Posted by Slumpertcivic (Post 4751750)
Woot, we need to guess..

Originally Posted by vboss5764 (Post 4751829)
Kinda of hard to replace the head without unplugging things...don't you think. No need to guess, I can do that with out help.

Guys, it's the crank sensor that shouldn't be unplugged during work if at all possible.
There's no way to avoid unplugging the cam sensor.

Just thought there was a specific reason for the 3K limit.
What fault code(s) does it have? Once you have that info, you'll probably be on your way to the answer.

Slumpertcivic 09-17-2018 12:04 AM

xxxx

vboss5764 09-17-2018 07:45 PM

I'm getting a crank sensor code and air intake sensor signal high code, I was running with the air cleaner off at first so that caused the AIT code I think. The wiring harness has to be moved out of the way, so those sensors needed to be disconnected, why is it such a big deal?

ezone 09-17-2018 08:26 PM

Originally Posted by vboss5764 (Post 4751871)
The wiring harness has to be moved out of the way, so those sensors needed to be disconnected, why is it such a big deal?

Your current situation is why it's such a big deal:

I'm getting a crank sensor code .
Do you really think that's a coincidence?
This often happens after one just unplugs the wiring from the crank sensor: Disturb the contacts and it becomes a poor or intermittent connection problem.
The crank sensor connector seems to be susceptible to moisture entry and corrosion damage, and once moisture gets in there the terminals corrode.

Long ago I learned it's better to unbolt the crank sensor instead of unplugging it.

Okay......So is it fully connected now?
Look inside the harness end, are any of the terminals showing signs of corrosion? Turning green or blue?
If you get a new sensor, I hope you get a good one from a dealership.

vboss5764 09-17-2018 09:02 PM

Originally Posted by ezone (Post 4751873)
Your current situation is why it's such a big deal:
Do you really think that's a coincidence?
This often happens after one just unplugs the wiring from the crank sensor: Disturb the contacts and it becomes a poor or intermittent connection problem.
The crank sensor connector seems to be susceptible to moisture entry and corrosion damage, and once moisture gets in there the terminals corrode.

Long ago I learned it's better to unbolt the crank sensor instead of unplugging it.

Okay......So is it fully connected now?
Look inside the harness end, are any of the terminals showing signs of corrosion? Turning green or blue?
If you get a new sensor, I hope you get a good one from a dealership.

It has been connected from the first crank, I ordered a new one, OEM Honda, I'm getting a code likely because the sensor is bad. So never unplug the sensor? just order a new one with car attached? I will check the connections carefully.

Slumpertcivic 09-17-2018 09:31 PM

You and I would so get along.

get a good can of electrical contact cleaner. Pull the connector off, squirt good 1/3 of the can on the sensor and pigtail ends. Wait 15 minutes for cleaner to evaporate. Reconnect being sure it clicks.

Don’t think you even need to reset the ECU, just take it for a drive and see if your getting full rpm. The light will stay on until ECU completes a drive cycle, but hopefully it will now be receiving crank signal so it will exit out of limp mode.

vboss5764 09-21-2018 08:43 PM

Update, new crank sensor in, runs MUCH better, revs to the redline.